Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Master Modeler

Default Preserving the History of the Hobby

We are now entering the 51st year of the NAR and of Estes, a name that is associated with model rocketry.

How much has been preserved over these 51 plus years, and, how much has gone into landfills?

We need to preserve what we still have, it could be in a model rocket museum or by electornic method or both.

Once these items are gone, thats it folks.

Why do we have museums, to show what we have achieved, what was in the beginning and where we are going..

The Smithsonian has a small collection of model rocket items, some from the Stine collection, some from the Carlise collection.

The Smithsonian, wants $50,000 for a display case at their Dulles facility, very small in somparison to the vast amount of model rocketry items in existance.

I would suggest a model rocket museum at the Space Camp in Huntsville, I'm sure that NASA has a building there that would house the collection. In addition, Space Camp uses model rockets in their programs. What a perfect match.

I'm sure there are many "private" collections of really great stuff, but, these items are in a private collection. They aren't being exposed to the public. If there was a museum, these items could be put on display for all to see, on loan.

I think that original prototypes should be part of any museum collection, there are not self serving to those that took part in the concept, design or final product. Once again, preserving the history of this great hobby.

Think of all the great items that have been discarded, not only by companies, but, individuals, or families of those who were in the hobby. Lost forever, we need to preserve these items.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

RD, you seem to have the ear of Barry. I suggest you or someone you designate visit Penrose for a week this spring or summer, and bring a high res digital camera and scanner. Make an appointment with Barry to photograph and copy photographs of old prototypes and historical records of original models.

Then agree what small pieces can be released immediately, then put the rest in a "time capsule" marked do not open until authorized by Estes Industries.

The limiting factors in preserving history are always access and available labor.

Most of the magnetic tapes from Apollo 11 were wiped clean for reuse because someone was too cheap to archive them and buy new tapes for the "next use". No backups.

Maybe instead of giving Smithsonian $50k for a display case, we should build them a display case and make it far more model rocket specific than a display case contractor would.

Jerry
Old 04-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
RD, you seem to have the ear of Barry. I suggest you or someone you designate visit Penrose for a week this spring or summer, and bring a high res digital camera and scanner. Make an appointment with Barry to photograph and copy photographs of old prototypes and historical records of original models.

Then agree what small pieces can be released immediately, then put the rest in a "time capsule" marked do not open until authorized by Estes Industries.

The limiting factors in preserving history are always access and available labor.

Most of the magnetic tapes from Apollo 11 were wiped clean for reuse because someone was too cheap to archive them and buy new tapes for the "next use". No backups.

Maybe instead of giving Smithsonian $50k for a display case, we should build them a display case and make it far more model rocket specific than a display case contractor would.

Jerry

Jerry

I don't think that would ever happen.
I'm not just interested in preserving the history of estes, but everyone connected to the hobby.

I know that Andelo from Sunward is interested, he said that he would keep one of each of his kits made to preserve them for posterity.

I want ALL companies to partcipate.

Like you said, the Apollo tapes are gone, and, I was told by a NASA worker in Houston that much of the early Space Program artifacts were sent to the landfill and lost forever, why, because the government didn't think that they were of any use.

Also, with the new laucnh vehicle to replace the current Shuttle fleet, NASA is reverse engineering the remaining Saturn V's and other hardware to try and get something going.

RD
Old 04-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Maybe, but a single visit to Penrose would get you Estes, Centuri, Mini-Max, Enerjet, and others.

A single visit to Claremont would get you 10 more.

Jerry
Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Maybe, but a single visit to Penrose would get you Estes, Centuri, Mini-Max, Enerjet, and others.

A single visit to Claremont would get you 10 more.

Jerry

Jerry

I did send an email to Penrose about a museum, no reply.......
Do you have contact information in Claremont?

If you like PM me with that.
Thanks
RD
Old 04-20-2009, 03:50 PM
BAR

Default Photos

RD
I just have a feeling when I sent you those B/W Catalog Photos awhile back that you were the right person to get them. Rocketry history preservation is important.

BAR
John

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037
Old 04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnwwa
RD
I just have a feeling when I sent you those B/W Catalog Photos awhile back that you were the right person to get them. Rocketry history preservation is important.

BAR
John

YES
I would like to see as much as possible preserved from ALL companies and those individuals in the hobby.

I want to make it clear, I'm not looking for a shrine to honor Estes, but, the hobby as a whole.
Thanks again.

RD
Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Trust me, it'll work!

That is why I'm glad they made that movie "October Sky". As far as I could tell, THAT is where model rocketry started. I tried to get my college physics instructor to show it but all I got was a dumb look.

I can't even imagine trying to figure out all that stuff about the fuel that they did...
Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
We are now entering the 51st year of the NAR and of Estes, a name that is associated with model rocketry...

I would suggest a model rocket museum at the Space Camp in Huntsville, I'm sure that NASA has a building there that would house the collection. In addition, Space Camp uses model rockets in their programs. What a perfect match.

RD,

Space Camp is not run by NASA -it is a non-profit, non-governmental organization. They would not give up free space for a model rocket museum; it costs big bucks to display even a simple exhibit.

There are no spare buildings or rooms there; heck, they have the Skylab engineering module rusting away out in the yard.

Just FYI.
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

From the most recent NAR Board meeting minutes:

NAR Historian.
The Board reviewed the report provided by NAR Historian Art Nestor. Art has energetically accumulated about 1300 historical items in the form of scanned documents (newsletters, magazines, plans, etc.), videos, and digitized photographs occupying 3 Gb of digital memory. His goal is to document the complete history of the NAR and all its sections, and to make this digital archive available, appropriately structured, on or as an adjunct to the NAR website. He is making steady progress in calling for and receiving contributions and in indexing this material.

If you've got stuff to contribute to the "pile", contact Art Nestor at nestor at fyi dot net.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org