Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Default Upscale - Canaroc Starship Antares

A while back, a few folks were working on clones of the old Canaroc Scorpion. I had recently gotten a Sunward Galactic
Wave kit at the time, and realized that the Sunward kit was basically a slightly modified and upscale version of the Scorpion.
Thus, I decided to build my Galactic Wave to look like the old Canaroc kit. Details here;

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...hlight=scorpion

Well, since I essentially have an upscale Scorpion, I felt like I needed a companion for it. Thus, on my visit to the
iHobby Expo in October, I picked up some 36" long tubes from the BMS booth for this new toy...

The Canaroc Starship Antares (135% upscale)

Next to my Sunward Galactic Wave for scale comparison;

Overall length is just over 50" with a wingspan at about 14".
For reference, the Galactic Wave built in this method is 22.5" long and a 12.5" wingspan

A different view;

The business end;

I'm not fond of Canaroc's original idea of having a motor on only one side, so I'm going to make this baby my very first cluster.
It'll have a motor and shock coord/parachute in each of the main tubes.

Later,
EV

Last edited by EchoVictor : 02-09-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:51 PM
BP Mafia

Good idea on the cluster. Chan Stevens did a review on this one. He built it with only one 18mm motor per directions and it was horribly underpowered. It barely cleared the rod. I took the pics for his review and even in the pictures you can tell it's struggling.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 12-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

I built a clone and flew it with no problems. I thought it lifted off with no trouble and got some good air.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0119.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  292.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0118.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  77.9 KB  
Old 12-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Don,

I loved your photos you posted when you built your clone. I kept those in mind as I was building this upscale. I'm still not sure if I'm going to have BMS make me a pair BT-55 based Canaroc-style cones, or just stay with the PNC-55AC pair that I've got

Just based on the size of this monster, combined with the extra weight of the basswood fins, I know I'll need the extra kick of the second motor. My game plan is 2x24mm, with a couple of adapters so that I can fly it on 2x18mm as well.

Later,
EV
Old 12-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Don,

I loved your photos you posted when you built your clone. I kept those in mind as I was building this upscale. I'm still not sure if I'm going to have BMS make me a pair BT-55 based Canaroc-style cones, or just stay with the PNC-55AC pair that I've got

Just based on the size of this monster, combined with the extra weight of the basswood fins, I know I'll need the extra kick of the second motor. My game plan is 2x24mm, with a couple of adapters so that I can fly it on 2x18mm as well.

Later,
EV

I think what you've got there so far looks great. You going to have Phred make you some upscale decals? Decals really set it off. Going the 24mm route, you may want to consider it for E9s and just use a spacer for D12s. Give you a little versatility. As a side note, you might want to beef up the end of the BT that protrudes the most since the weight of the rocket will land on it first. I just added some epoxy but maybe a tube coupler might give you less weight. Looking forward to seeing more progress photos and, of course, launch.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Dazed and Confused

Looks good. Nice crisp angled cuts on the body tube. Did you use any special method to get such clean angled cuts?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Thanks! For cutting the angles, I just used the cardstock angle templates from my recently completed FlisKits US TOG, a brand new Exacto blade, and a whole lot of patience.

Don,

thanks for the tip on that lower tube end. A bit of coupler might just be in order....

Like my Galactic Wave, I'll mask and paint the big red panels on the wings, and use decals for the rest. I've got some of the laser jet stock from Sirius and will make the decals myself. the The stuff works great for lighter colored rockets.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Got the 24mm motor mounts installed. I had to put the hooks facing upwards so that I'd have finger access to the spent motors...

I also had a couple of PNC-55IR's laying around, so I thought I'd see what they looked like. So-so?

Later,
EV
Old 12-21-2006, 08:47 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
I also had a couple of PNC-55IR's laying around, so I thought I'd see what they looked like. So-so?
I dunno, it doesn't seem right. I like the idea of something shorter on those tubes, I'd try something like a BNC-55AA (kinda short ogive). If you're going for an intake look, maybe something like a slanted tailcone look ala colonial viper?
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 12-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

Making an upscale rocket and is fun and rewarding, keep up the work, and do not forget to check the center of gravity with the original rocket before flight for you may need to add nose weight.

In My daughters 5 times upscaled Zoom Broom we had to add 6 lbs to the nose cone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Candy's Zoom Broom.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  41.1 KB