Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Bulk pack?! Where!!

Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #3297
12353 Fm 1960 West

That one is probably just outside your beaten path, the only reason I got lucky.

That was the 1st bulk pack I've seen at a WM since I got amazingly, incredibly, outstandingly lucky and scored 2 bulk packs of motors at the WM on Westheimer@Dunvale for $11 each, about a year ago. And trust me, after that I have been looking.

There's not much old-formula Krylon left east of Hwy 6 either.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Hobby Lobby stores routinely do not reprice items on the shelf; so when a price increase lands, it can result in inconsistent pricing. For quite a while, 1/2A3-2T engines were still available at the $5.99 price point in Quincy, IL... until they ran out.

Over in the party section, the crepe paper I buy to use as wadding was $0.93 a year ago, but it's now $1.43 (still a bargain compared to a similar sized pack of Estes flame resistant toilet paper). On the shelf there are packs with one price, and packs with the other...
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 05-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Master Modeler

The prices for motors at WalMart is hit and miss. My local WM in NJ is still $4.97, but, in South carolina the prices have been raised to $6.97. They also added the Astrovision as well to their other offering of three starter sets. Their motor offerings in awfull.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:26 PM
GET GOONY!!

I have two Walmarts in Albany: 1 has the motors priced at $4.97, an the other at $6.97. This is either end of the city!!

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Yet another BAR

All of the walmarts in Buffalo/Niagara Falls that I've been to (at least 4) have $4.97 motors. Of course they're all C6-7 or C6-5 which I have plenty of... Target's motors are at $4.79 with about the same selection...
Old 05-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikus
Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #3297
12353 Fm 1960 West

That one is probably just outside your beaten path, the only reason I got lucky.

That was the 1st bulk pack I've seen at a WM since I got amazingly, incredibly, outstandingly lucky and scored 2 bulk packs of motors at the WM on Westheimer@Dunvale for $11 each, about a year ago. And trust me, after that I have been looking.

There's not much old-formula Krylon left east of Hwy 6 either.

Two bulk packs for only $11 each?! Wow, what a steal! The lowest I've been able to find
(at the I-10/Fry Road Wal-Mart) several years ago I saw a bulk pack with that familiar
red/white price sticker on it, and it was priced $18. I had only $20 left in my wallet, and
bought it anyway!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Two bulk packs for only $11 each?! Wow, what a steal! The lowest I've been able to find
(at the I-10/Fry Road Wal-Mart) several years ago I saw a bulk pack with that familiar
red/white price sticker on it, and it was priced $18. I had only $20 left in my wallet, and
bought it anyway!

Yeah that was the score of a lifetime basically. They were on the shelf with all the other motors with no price tag on them, nothing. So I put one in the cart, thinking I'd ask what the price was when I checked out, and continued shopping until I ran across one of those scanners in the aisle. There I pulled it out of the cart and scanned it. The scanner sat there thinking for a second and up popped $11 on the screen.

So I did it again. And the scanner did it again.

After the heart palpitations stopped, I barrelled back over to the toy section like a madman. I think I almost ran over 3 slower shoppers along the way. Scoop, into the cart went the 2nd bulk pack.

Yup 48 motors for $22 is a sweet deal anyway you cut it. I thought about buying a lottery ticket afterwards but figured I'd used up all my luck that day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Receipt.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  24.2 KB  
Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikus
Yeah that was the score of a lifetime basically. They were on the shelf with all the other motors with no price tag on them, nothing. So I put one in the cart, thinking I'd ask what the price was when I checked out, and continued shopping until I ran across one of those scanners in the aisle. There I pulled it out of the cart and scanned it. The scanner sat there thinking for a second and up popped $11 on the screen.

So I did it again. And the scanner did it again.

After the heart palpitations stopped, I barrelled back over to the toy section like a madman. I think I almost ran over 3 slower shoppers along the way. Scoop, into the cart went the 2nd bulk pack.

Yup 48 motors for $22 is a sweet deal anyway you cut it. I thought about buying a lottery ticket afterwards but figured I'd used up all my luck that day.

That comes out to 46 cents per motor, the kind of prices we use to buy them for back in
the 1960's and early 1970's.....
Old 05-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

I had to go check the local Knightdale Wal-Mart after following this thread. They have C6-7's, C6-3's, and A10-3T's with no pricing. I took a few to the cashier and the scanned price is still $4.97. We have a small Wal-Mart, but there is the largest selection of Estes kits and planes than I have seen in years. I did not see any Semroc kits in stock there.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I did not see any Semroc kits in stock there.

Carl,

Would you really want to sell through Wal-mart? The first thing they'd suggest is that you make your organization as lean as possible by 'off-shoring' your production - probably to China.