Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Star Voyager

Default Are there any Pershing 1A's for HPR ?

I'm looking to maybe do a Pershing 1A based on 4"' LOC, but I just wanted to make sure there isn't a kit already out there that is able to handle H motors. I tried looking around at some of the major manufacturers, but I dont see one? Does anyone know for certain?
NAR #92766
Old 05-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Persh 1a

The only kits that I know of are the old Estes and TLP kits. They were both close to 4 inch diameter, but they are both OOP. (Although, the way Estes has been responding to customers like us lately, I'd say there is a good chance they might re-release it in the near future.)

The Estes kit was for low power, had thin-walled body tube and typical low-power-type (lightweight) construction. If you wanted to use mid or high-power motors they would probably tear that kit apart.

The TLP kit was a hair smaller but was made from more sturdy body tube. IIRC it was designed specifically for mid-power motors so it would automatically be several steps closer to your needs, if you could find one of these old kits. Bad thing about the TLP kit is availability and "collector" prices.

You could do just as well to design your own kit. There are lots of airframe tubes to choose from, and guys like Sandman (he posts both here and on TRF) could spin a nice nose cone for you. If you need help scaling the part sizes I am sure you could get it here.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:45 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLand
The only kits that I know of are the old Estes and TLP kits. They were both close to 4 inch diameter, but they are both OOP. (Although, the way Estes has been responding to customers like us lately, I'd say there is a good chance they might re-release it in the near future.)

The Estes kit is based on the BT-101. The TLP kit is slightly smaller, based on a BT-100. The TLP kit is still available, though not easy to find. But these two are far from HPR.

Alien Enterprises sold a fiberglass cone and resin fins, the same size as the Estes kit?

I seem to recall Performance Rocketry had one for HPR, but do not know anything about it.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygun
I'm looking to maybe do a Pershing 1A based on 4"' LOC, but I just wanted to make sure there isn't a kit already out there that is able to handle H motors. I tried looking around at some of the major manufacturers, but I dont see one? Does anyone know for certain?

I have made basswood nose cones to fit the PML 4" tube.

This thread on TRF may help.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=17271

OH, yea, I make the decals for it too.

Contact me and we can work something out.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Star Voyager

Thanks everyone, it was awful kind to lend a hand on the matter. I found the same as everyone has indicated; there is no definitive model currently as a kit--which is perfectly fine by me. Once I get through my L-1 cert this season i plan to tackle this project in the fall, probably. Summer is a busy time for work and play ( launch!). But it seems like a good winter build project. Gordon your definitely in the loop on this one, thanks on the build thread!
Kevin A. Cespedes
NAR #92766
Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

And although I know that JumpJet disagrees with me, a Pershing II is waaay cooler than a IA. Plus that way you don't have to explain that "No, its not an Estes kit."

And a II is easier to paint-- Helicopter Green (FS79092) with black US ARMY: badda-bing, done.

I'm just sayin' . . . .

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Gotta agree with MarkB here.
The Pershing II is WAY cooler looking than the 1A !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Star Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Gotta agree with MarkB here.
The Pershing II is WAY cooler looking than the 1A !

Its true that the Pershing ll looks cool with a rocket-like look, no question about it. Maybe that's why I like the 1A, and its atypical profile --though you can still see that they are both related.
NAR #92766
Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygun
Thanks everyone, it was awful kind to lend a hand on the matter. I found the same as everyone has indicated; there is no definitive model currently as a kit--which is perfectly fine by me. Once I get through my L-1 cert this season i plan to tackle this project in the fall, probably. Summer is a busy time for work and play ( launch!). But it seems like a good winter build project. Gordon your definitely in the loop on this one, thanks on the build thread!
Kevin A. Cespedes

I actualloy started building the Pershing 1a nose cone for myself to start my own personal Pershing 1a.

Alas, the fates were against me.

Someone saw it, offered me a price I couldn't refuse.

I will make myself another...someday.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Banned

Me thinks its time for a Pershing Poll!

J