Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to Aeronautical Send a message via MSN to Aeronautical

I like the sugar fuels the best so far. However, the one I want to make can be dangerous, I'm looking into some other types, because It could take up to 90 days before I have my explosives license, and I think I'm going to find something that the ATF doesn't consider to be an explosive, so I can use that for the next 3 months untill then.

Would the book you are talking about be called 'Experimental Composite Propellant'? If so, I have put that on my reading list, and I am going to get in this week, it looks interesting.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Dazed and Confused

The P'fesser lives about 45 or 50 miles from me. He is a real professor of chemistry at Murray State University in KY. His book is an excellent starting point. He did most of his motor testing for the book about two miles from my house. I was able to watch him go from someone who only knew the chemistry behind AP propellants to somebody that could make small BP motors and larger AP based motors with consistency. However, he likes to experiment and try new stuff, so I still got to see my share of CATO's even after he got good at it. If I remember correctly, he promotes using PBAN as the binder in his book. PBAN is more of a pain to work with than HTPB, but it has a little more ISP.

I did a quick search and the first hit for the book was Al's Hobby Shop. Experimental Composite Propellant
Old 06-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Oh hey, that's awesome, I'm short on money nhow, but I bookmarked the site. I'll get it sometime. Thanks!

Anyone know of any good launch areas in Wisconsin, in the northern or central Wisconsin, I know there are some area further south like the Bong Recreation area, but I really don't want to drive several hours every time I'm going to launch a rocket that requires alot of space.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronautical
Anyone know of any good launch areas in Wisconsin, in the northern or central Wisconsin, I know there are some area further south like the Bong Recreation area, but I really don't want to drive several hours every time I'm going to launch a rocket that requires alot of space.

The MARS club is in Medford. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.mars-rocketry.com/

There's also a club in Thorp, WI (wherever that is). Here's that clubs contact email:

cozmosinwi@hotmail.com

They don't have a website that I know of.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I talked to the MARs club president several times over email. But still, I just wish there was a spot around here to launch "BIG"rockets, but that's okay I guess. The Mars club president told me that I should start my own club, there isn't one within comfortable driving from where I live, and I think it would be great. Right now were just working on this experimental rocket, we'll try to get some attention first, then hopefully grow into a nice sized group.

And I have no idea where Thorp is, but I'll look.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Dazed and Confused

Start your club and fly commercially made motors for a while. Build your membership within the NAR or TRA rules. You will need to comply with NFPA and BATFE laws and regulations. You might want to make a few trips to those clubs for a while in order to learn the proper way to please the FAA, NFPA, BATFE, and other ABC agencies that you will have to deal with regardless of whether you start a club or fly alone.

Do your EX testing without spectators, preferrably with only the necessary personel present. Do it this way for two reasons. First, the NAR doesn't condone EX rocketry and TRA only approves of it when done at EX sanctioned launches. You don't want to do your EX stuff at a regular NAR or TRA club launch.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Yes, I was hoping to do alot of the commercially made motors, that way our club could compete with others. And that is a good idea, learn how to please those agencies.

How hard is it to become a NAR section, anyone know, from what I've read off their website, not too hard, obviously we wouldn't become one right away, but it's a thought.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:46 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

my 2 1/2 cents worth.

1 - EX is not for everyone, I;ve been making motors since the early 80's .. and they still fail at times.
It * DOES * appear that you want to get 'into' EX for the right reasons - being learning and scientific knowledge, not just " make cheap big motors and go boom "

I would reccomend the p'rfessors book, although not anti-candy motors either (I;ve tried em all, zinc, liquid,etc, no hybrids yet) ... I definetaly agree as posted that HTPB / R45 is the way to start, I;ve used P-ban and it has it;s advantages, but is less forgiving to erorr as well .

Also, as for permits, I KNOW you can not get an LEUP under 18 or 21, there's guys I work with here that have been waiting years to be old enough to apply.

2- as for club,etc - you just have to bite the bullet and travel, you note a couple hours or somesuch ?
closest club to me is 1 1/2 hours, longest I've travelled was 2 days, lol - just got back from the NERRF launch in NY, 2 1/2 hour drive down.

basically, net owrk with other rocket guys, etc - you will learn so much more, and faster if you join a group that's been around.

3 - if you;ve been flying model rockets, and looking for a new challenge, I certainly have to say - work into HPR with COMMERCIAL motors, and worry about ex later, ex is not for everyone, and you might get your 'needed fix' from learnign the nuances of HPR.

again, just my input based on experience, and now we've "brought up" guys I;ve mentored over the years.

~ AL