Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Master Modeler

Default 2.64 Diameter Upscale of an Estes Classic

So what do you get when you have 16 body tubes, 16 couplers, 8 motor mount tubes, a stack of plywood centering rings and bulkheads, and a stack of fins and 8 balsa nose cones? Why, you have the makings of a club project.

Several years ago the club I belong too got together to build a 6” Dia. Nike Smoke. This year they wanted to do an individual model so I drew up parts for a BT-60 size Scissor Wing Transport, well at the last minute we switched to this classic.

Can you guess what it is?

All the tubes and CNC turned balsa cones were purchased from Semroc. I have on order the decals “Vinyl Stickers” from Sticker Shock. The club members will be supplying their own recovery system, launch lugs or rail buttons and engine re-tension system.

Depending on what is on TV tonight, I will try and put mine together tonight so you at least know what it is, but I’m sure most of you will figure it out.

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Build 1.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  156.0 KB  
Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
So what do you get when you have 16 body tubes, 16 couplers, 8 motor mount tubes, a stack of plywood centering rings and bulkheads, and a stack of fins and 8 balsa nose cones? Why, you have the makings of a club project.

Several years ago the club I belong too got together to build a 6” Dia. Nike Smoke. This year they wanted to do an individual model so I drew up parts for a BT-60 size Scissor Wing Transport, well at the last minute we switched to this classic.

Can you guess what it is?

All the tubes and CNC turned balsa cones were purchased from Semroc. I have on order the decals “Vinyl Stickers” from Sticker Shock. The club members will be supplying their own recovery system, launch lugs or rail buttons and engine re-tension system.

Depending on what is on TV tonight, I will try and put mine together tonight so you at least know what it is, but I’m sure most of you will figure it out.

John Boren

Looking at the fins I'd say..Ah ..... lets see 2.6" Cherokee

John

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037
BP Mafia

Cherokee D, baby!

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
CG to close to CP

Upscale Cherokee D
Old 05-11-2011, 07:22 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnwwa
Looking at the fins I'd say..Ah ..... lets see 2.6" Cherokee

John

Yeah, those fins were a dead give. Should be some cool birds as long as they follow the paint scheme.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 05-11-2011, 07:22 PM
CG to close to CP

What do you know three posts marked at the same time, and I am still last!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm not a BAR - I've never quit!

Send a message via AIM to RocketBoy 32

If you have some extra fins and pieces/parts you could make an upscale of Estes newest "Magician" kit.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd
What do you know three posts marked at the same time, and I am still last!

No your not last, Correct answer .. you were just #3.

John

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037
Old 05-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Master Modeler

Looks like this build thread may be put on the back burner since in my infinite wisdom, or lack there of, I forgot to order a ninth set of parts for myself. I just sent out an email to the club members asking if someone no longer wants theirs or if someone would allow me to build their model for them. I should get at least one taker for a free build of their model but I can’t proceed until someone gives me the go ahead.

And of course you are all right on target with the model being a Cherokee D, and yes it is going to have the orginal Deco applied to the model.

John Boren
Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Looks like this build thread may be put on the back burner since in my infinite wisdom, or lack there of, I forgot to order a ninth set of parts for myself. I just sent out an email to the club members asking if someone no longer wants theirs or if someone would allow me to build their model for them. I should get at least one taker for a free build of their model but I can’t proceed until someone gives me the go ahead.

And of course you are all right on target with the model being a Cherokee D, and yes it is going to have the orginal Deco applied to the model.

John Boren
Is it an upscale of the short body version or the long body version?

Everyone tells me I am crazy and they never came that way, but my original Cherokee D (that I still have) had two piece fins.

There was a small triangle that needed to be glued to to the main part of the fin to finish the trailing edge. I wasn't the greatest builder back then and I can see the glue line on all three fins.

So, did the first Cherokee D's have two piece fins or am I crazy?
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member