Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2019, 11:46 AM
Old Time Rocketeer

Default US Rockets ad in latest Sport Rocketry

I should be famous

The photos featured in the latest ad in Sport Rocketry magazine are of me and my Swarm (with payload section). Flew it on a full load of G80s. Didn't have enough ejection oomph to pop the chute. It floated sideways all the way to the ground. No drift. No damage. Ready to fly again.

Still have it (and a Swarm JR). Getting ready to repaint both of them. Will fly at an MDRA launch in the near future.

Large clusters are big fun.

L1 cert: AAA Magnum PA Crude/Vulcan H100 Smokey Sam
L2 cert: LOC/Precision Magnum/Aerotech J350
L3 cert: Smokin' Rockets Nike Smoke/Aerotech M1315
Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndart
It floated sideways all the way to the ground. No drift. No damage. Ready to fly again.

You, sir, do not deserve the title of "Lawndart".

Old 05-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Old Time Rocketeer

More photos (maybe)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  2011-09-16 19.24.48-36.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  21.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2011-09-16 19.24.48-44.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  18.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2011-09-16 19.24.48-7.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  22.2 KB  

Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

Nice green field. It obviously gave it a little cushion.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
More photos (maybe)

Dale-

How long ago/where did that flight take place? I remember when I was first getting into high power in the late 80s, I thought the Swarm would be a neat 'fun' rocket to fly. Alas, never did get one.

Have you ever flown it 'fully loaded'?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Old Time Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Dale-

How long ago/where did that flight take place? I remember when I was first getting into high power in the late 80s, I thought the Swarm would be a neat 'fun' rocket to fly. Alas, never did get one.

Have you ever flown it 'fully loaded'?

Earl

I don't want to think how long ago that flight was. My beard was still brown, I weighed 30 ibs less, and I actually made it to the monthly launches in Lilly. Honestly don't remember. It was before I bought the Swarm Jr. Maybe 15 years ago?

It only made that one flight with 16 G80s. I wanted to put a nice paint job on it. Knda of a Saturn Ib but yellow and black. I painted the Swarm Jr the same all yellow and have flown that on D12s a couple of times.

In the middle of moving and packing up 30+ years of rocket stuff. Amazing what I've accumulated in that time. Still have parts to rebuild my first HP rocket (AAA Magnum Pennyslvania Crude)!!!! And some Vulcan motors.

Remember meeting you, Tim E. and John Cato at Battle Park in 1991 or 92.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:12 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
I don't want to think how long ago that flight was. My beard was still brown, I weighed 30 ibs less, and I actually made it to the monthly launches in Lilly. Honestly don't remember. It was before I bought the Swarm Jr. Maybe 15 years ago?

It only made that one flight with 16 G80s. I wanted to put a nice paint job on it. Knda of a Saturn Ib but yellow and black. I painted the Swarm Jr the same all yellow and have flown that on D12s a couple of times.

In the middle of moving and packing up 30+ years of rocket stuff. Amazing what I've accumulated in that time. Still have parts to rebuild my first HP rocket (AAA Magnum Pennyslvania Crude)!!!! And some Vulcan motors.

Remember meeting you, Tim E. and John Cato at Battle Park in 1991 or 92.

Oh, ok. Yes, time does fly, doesn't it. And things do accumulate!

Actually, seems you made it down to one or two of our 'HOTSHOT' launches maybe 92-93 timeframe. We held a spring and a fall launch each year until the latter 90s. We'd have folks in from typically GA, FL, SC, TN, AL and sometimes a couple other states. Two thousand acres of contiually mowed sod farm turf made for a great launch site.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 05-15-2019, 06:46 PM
Old Time Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Oh, ok. Yes, time does fly, doesn't it. And things do accumulate!

Actually, seems you made it down to one or two of our 'HOTSHOT' launches maybe 92-93 timeframe. We held a spring and a fall launch each year until the latter 90s. We'd have folks in from typically GA, FL, SC, TN, AL and sometimes a couple other states. Two thousand acres of contiually mowed sod farm turf made for a great launch site.

Earl

Yep, drove up to Virginia for the Battle Park launch in Fall of 1991. Joined TRA. Almost bought a set of Syner-Jet reloadable hardware.

Flew my certification flight at a HOTSHOT launch in 1992 overseen by Tim Eiszner. Flew my Magnum PA Crude on a Vulcan H100 and then put it in the woods on an H242HF. Russ Duntonthen tried to entice me to buy an Energon L1000. Wish I had done it.

Also flew an Estes Patriot on a 4 D12 motor cluster. One motor lit on the pad, the other three lit just as the model went horizontal and it flew across the field and under the irrigation system.

Attended HOTSHOT launches until TARA got their field in Lilly.

BTW, I still pull out your LDRS tapes to watch. Digitized most of them to save the VHS tape. Love hearing folks talk about the powerful J motors delaminating plywood fins.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:07 PM
Dazed and Confused

Ross and his German shepherd director of mobile hobby shop security, Tim Eisner, John H. Cato, Jr. Registered Architect...names from the past.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Yep, drove up to Virginia for the Battle Park launch in Fall of 1991. Joined TRA. Almost bought a set of Syner-Jet reloadable hardware.

Flew my certification flight at a HOTSHOT launch in 1992 overseen by Tim Eiszner. Flew my Magnum PA Crude on a Vulcan H100 and then put it in the woods on an H242HF. Russ Duntonthen tried to entice me to buy an Energon L1000. Wish I had done it.

Also flew an Estes Patriot on a 4 D12 motor cluster. One motor lit on the pad, the other three lit just as the model went horizontal and it flew across the field and under the irrigation system.

Attended HOTSHOT launches until TARA got their field in Lilly.

BTW, I still pull out your LDRS tapes to watch. Digitized most of them to save the VHS tape. Love hearing folks talk about the powerful J motors delaminating plywood fins.

Yeah...that's all been a few years ago. It was a great launch site.

I sometimes wonder how many of the thousands and thousands of tapes I shpped that are still 'in use' today. I was just making the shift to DVD when I had to shut things down due to family health reasons around '05. Thought it would be for just a relatively short period, but it wound up being permanant. The last couple of productions were available on either VHS or DVD and I had plans to go back and do remastered versions of the older productions on DVD. Life just never allowed that to happen.

Hmmm...delaminated plywood fins on J motors. Kinda sounds like my LDRS-10 EZI-65 flight on a J125. Delaminated and shreaded those stock fins big time. As Ron Shultz told me afterwards "yeah, we only recommend up to the J100 on a stock EZI".

I rebuilt that EZI that next spring with airfoiled 1/8" G10 fiberglass fins. Never had a shread problem after that!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions