Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
First of all great project! It sounds like it was a success from start to finish. If at the end of the day your kids had fun and your 4 year old went to sleep with a rocket beside him you done good!

Regarding the chipped fin. My 2-cents - I had a good corner piece come off of my Aerotech Warthog last year and I used CA to glue it back on. It's flown multiple times since then without an issue.

Hmmm, well that gives me some confidence… Unfortunately since it was at night, I had no idea the fin was broken until I got back to the bench and put a light on it, so I have no idea where the piece is… But, you gave me an idea where I can steal one of my kids broken up pre built rocket fins and glue it on/sand and refinish quite easily… Using CA, I would believe a broken fin would be a stronger repair since it has a perfect mate with some odd angles or curvature to aid, rather than a perfectly flat/strait edge to edge joint. I may just try and sand a notch on the fin and perform the opposite in the repaired edge as to create a mechanical joint (similar to finger joints in woodworking) giving the edge more surface area for the glue to bite into. After that, a little bondo/sanding and all will be well. I bet it will work perfectly… May even consider fiberglass, but that may be a bit extreme...

Thanks for the idea; this may actually work as long as I can find a compatible mate… Did I just type that?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPRescue
Thanks for the idea; this may actually work as long as I can find a compatible mate… Did I just type that?

LOL!

I bet that would work fine. I went another route when I lost the corner of a fin on my Estes Ionizer. Instead of trying to replace it I snipped off the corners of the other three fins to match. It flies just fine, plus it a pretty cool look to boot.

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.