Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Master Modeler

Default Original Centuri Scale Mercury Redstone

Started working yesterday on my Centuri scaled Mercury Redstone kit. Sure love those
ejection baffles some of the kits from those days came with (my Centuri Nike Smoke STILL
uses the old baffle it got in 1970; the model itself is quite worn and will recieve a "new" body
tube and set of fins in the near future. The NS nosecone is in great shape and looks like it'll
last forever.).
Old 03-10-2006, 04:42 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Cool

Not another thread where one has to beg for pics!

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 03-11-2006, 03:43 AM

Smile

Ok, then I'll start

The real thing or just a Leo fake?

The ejection baffle is a real nice feature however I would still use some recovery wading just to be on the safe side.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 03-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Master Modeler

Wow, Leo, great pics on an excellent and well done Mercury Redstone!! BTW, what did you
use for the 1/8" black band just above the fins? I'm surprised the decal sheet has nothing
for this pattern. Did you paint yours or use some spare decals?

I'm now working on the filleting of the fins before I start the sanding & sealing part. One other question: My MR kit also came with one of those coin sized lead (nose) weight and a
dowel about 1/16"x3"; there's nothing in the instructions to indicate what they're for. Can
anyone answer for me?!

Keep up the great work!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:47 PM

Smile

I had a black decal sheet and cut strips from it.

The model was built 20 years ago and I can't remember if a weight came with it.
I don't have any weights in the nose cone and the rocket has had a couple of flights with out any incidence's. However I think adding the weight wouldn't hurt any.

I could check the unopened kits I have if there is a lead weight somewhere but I first would have to find the kits first

Old 03-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Master Modeler

The job you did on the fin can is better than mine; I think the balsa fin stock in my kit, since
it has been "in-the-bag" for some 25+ years, became hardened and I had difficulty trying to
sand the fin pieces to the true wedge shape the instructions called for. Mine has some of the wedge form, but not like yours. Well, we'll see when all is done shortly.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
The job you did on the fin can is better than mine; I think the balsa fin stock in my kit, since
it has been "in-the-bag" for some 25+ years, became hardened and I had difficulty trying to
sand the fin pieces to the true wedge shape the instructions called for. Mine has some of the wedge form, but not like yours. Well, we'll see when all is done shortly.

Yeah, REALLY nice work on the fins. Did you use the balsa the kit came with, or swap it out for basswood. I have the re-issued Estes version of the Centuri kit that I'm thinkig about building. Since everyone else is at NARCON, why don't you give us some tips before they come back

Sean
Old 03-11-2006, 06:11 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys

You asked a good question as I belong to those very few? that build the kits exactly to the manufacturers instructions and use the parts that come with the kit. So yes, the fins were built with kit parts only.

It also means I never fill the spirals as many here do as the instructions don't call for that.
I know it's dumb but thats me

There is one exception however:
Most of the scale kits I've buildt or build are without launch lugs. Instead I use a clear plastic wrap with the launch lug attached to it so it's easily removed from the rocket.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Master Modeler

I can see why Centuri didn't include the 1/8" black band just above the fins decal; take a look
at this pic taken by my good friend, Warren Benson, of the Mercury Redstone on display at the JSC Rocket Park and you'll see why:

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/galle...100_4074?full=1

Me and my family were at Space Center Houston last weekend and I did have the chance to
look at this up close and can verify. For my MR, I may just try to figure a way to draw a thin
line instead of using a decal. Started to spray paint the main body section this morning, but
backed out due to being too windy outside. Good thing, as I'd just remember that I forgot to
install the main plugs near the base of the model! Will talk to you all later...
Old 03-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I can see why Centuri didn't include the 1/8" black band just above the fins decal; take a look
at this pic taken by my good friend, Warren Benson, of the Mercury Redstone on display at the JSC Rocket Park and you'll see why:

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/galle...100_4074?full=1

I am confused, that photo does show the band? Sorry, I jumped into this in the middle I think.

I did not put the band on my Centuri clone as my fins were not all the same exact height. That made the band be too high on some fins and too low on others. The difference isn't much more than a 1/32" but it is noticable.

Sometimes I draw a line on the body tube to show where the point of the fin should rest when that is important, but I forgot on this one and just butted the bottom edges up against the rear of the tube.