Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM
7/21/61

Jeff,

The Blackhawk and Starfighter are externally almost the same, and use most of the same diecut pieces, but the two were very different internally.

The Starfighter, which debuted in 1979, is rear ejection. The motor tube sits under the canopy and the canopy is used to reverse the exhaust gasses 180 degrees to push the parachute out of a little compartment right next to the motor tube. Really nice model with a fairly crude recovery system.

The Blackhawk, which first appeared in 1991, ejects the parachute out the front of the leftmost body tube. The exhaust gasses are vented through an internal T- tube from the central motor tube to the left body tube. The Blackhawk design is a nice refinement of the original Centuri Starfighter.

As for the difficulty of the build, it will be no problem for your abilities. I built mine two years ago and found the build a real pleasure in that it was so different from most other rockets and the cardstock parts were truly ingenious (although not the most precisely fitting components). The Canopy and forward mid section took quite a bit of fill-n-finish to fill little gaps but the all black finish hides lots of imperfections. I really wish Estes or somebody would either re-release this kit, or invent something similarly clever. Really a fun kit to build, flies great, and always a big hit at club launches. Never had anything break on it so I don't think I'd worry about replacing the cardstock parts.

Pic of my Blackhawk in the lower left of the pic below.

Have fun with the build,

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1250&Friends.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  84.1 KB  
Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
So how did she fly?? I see the shock cord and chute in there... I never installed mine because I wanted them mainly for display-- I never got around to painting them or putting the decals on either. I finished building them and then set them aside waiting for my painting skills and decal installation skills to somehow magically improve-- which has taken about 20 years...

I only flew it a couple of times right after I built it. The best I remember, it was stable, but didn't fly very high. The rear ejection keeps the chute from fowling on the toothpicks. The Blackhawk has a high probability of fowling, not unlike the X-Wing fighter on its laser pods.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:31 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
It hasn't arrived yet, but a friend of mine is sending me his Centuri Buck Rogers Starfighter kit to build for him because he's had permanent injuries to his hands. Have any of you built one of these? Is this from the TV series Buck Rogers in the 25th Century? (Erin Gray--yummy!) Is this similar to the Estes Blackhawk? Does anybody have a photo of one? Thank you. Jeff
Wow, that is a real bummer about your friend, and very thoughtful of you to do a build for him. I hope he's able to find other hobbies he can do. I've had to give up guitar playing because of arthritis in my hands, and type slower, but my rocketry hobby isn't affected too much, yet...

Anyhow, I've built the evil sister ship, the Draconian Marauder, and the real challenge was the fibre board parts - they were all warped, and 'identical' pieces were usually not identical. I soaked the edges of most parts in CA so I could sand them to improve fit. The large wing surfaces I also soaked in CA to stiffen them. Hope this helps, and post pics as you progress!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Old Submariner

Default Work has begun on the Buck Rogers Starfighter

I started the starfighter this morning. As suspected, the cardstock sheets were just a little warped, but not creased (TG).
I first steamed the sheets lightly with a teakettle, and then placed them under my heaviest books all last night. They're dead flat now.
The canopy was first. Those little tabs? I glued them one at a time with Titebond red label and then pressed each one dwn with the end of a stick. After assembling the 3 pieces, I "welded" the top seams with Elmer's white.
The main frame was next. Flatness and squareness had to be maintained at all times or there would be a twist in the construction. I weighted the entire assembly down with a Corian cutting board while the epoxy cured. It's probably flat to within .005"/ft now.
All non-connective edges of the cardstock I'm giving a coat of water-thin CA.

This is as far as I've gotten. More to come. I haven't done a Centuri kit since the early 70's. It's a refreshing change! Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  buckrogers (3).JPG
Views: 123
Size:  120.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  buckrogers (2).JPG
Views: 126
Size:  119.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  buckrogers.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  136.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  buckrogers (4).JPG
Views: 138
Size:  128.1 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 12-03-2009, 01:47 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Looking forward to your build Jeff

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 12-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

I'm working on the replacement decals. Not very hard except for that Earth Forces crest. I gotta draw those individual olive leaves.

Not that bad, just two olive branches...or one with a copy mirrored.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 12-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Old Submariner

Thanks Gordy. You're a prince! Jeff

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 PM
7/21/61

Jeff,

Looks good. Really novel, isn't it?

Anybody have any idea who designed this, and who did the re-do at Estes?

Steve
Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Old Submariner

Yes, a very satisfying project. I developed a couple of new techniques for this one. I don't know who designed it. There's a whole narrative included with the kit about the original models for the TV series and movie. Maybe there's something in there. I'll read it. Jeff

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Old Submariner

With my eyes burning from the thin CA, I took a "break" and assembled the removable front landing skid. Many naughty words were used, but it turned out quite well.
Since the shock cord is anchored to the center bottom support, and therefore would be nearly impossible to replace if it ever broke, I used a length of 75 # double braided nylon for a leader and tied it to the support with a lark's head. Kevlar would be stonger and more heat resistant, but the white nylon is softer and far more attactive since the shock cord is always visible.
Next, I attached the bottom plate and weighted it down while the adhesive set to maintain square and flatness.
Then the launch lug and the embossed front trim plate.
To be continued. Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  buckrogers (8).JPG
Views: 116
Size:  112.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  buckrogers (7).JPG
Views: 113
Size:  133.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  buckrogers (6).JPG
Views: 112
Size:  112.8 KB  Click image for larger version