Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspad
There was another thread earlier in the week that said something about people who flew in the 60's to 80's not being able to build rockets any more. I would have replied to it but I was too busy building rockets.
I'm building more rockets now than I ever did when I was a kid. And I'm building them much better now, too, if I do say so myself. (I had choice but to improve... I couldn't have done worse!) Also putting in much more flight time now. And in contrast to what it was like back in the '60's, now I actually know more than two other people who fly rockets!

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
The age of 11-12 must have been the age to become interested in rocketry in the 60's. I flew my first rocket at age 12 in July 1968. I remember the month because I have a very good memory but not the exact date 41 years ago.
I was 13. But I had gotten the "bug" several years earlier, before I ever knew that such a hobby actually existed. For years I had dreamed of flying my own miniature rockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
This is not directed at Bob or anyone in particular, just a general comment but I have to ask, how is it that so many rocketeers remember the exact day they flew their first rocket from decades ago? Did I miss something back then? Was there something in the kit instructions that said "write down and always remember the day you make your first flight?" While I remember many details from my first launch very well, it was just something to do on a hot summer day like swimming or playing baseball, not a life altering event like getting married or a firstborn.
Let's see, when was it that I got married... ? ... So many years ago...Who can possibly remember the exact date of such an thing after all these years?

As momentous as it was, I can only remember the approximate date of my first rocket launch, as I described in my earlier post.

(BTW, my wife and I were married on July 14, 1976. )

MarkII
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
... now I actually know more than two other people who fly rockets!
MarkII
Wow, you knew twice as many other people who flew rockets than I did.

I knew the neighbor kid that got me started and in the 5 - 6 years that I flew regularly, I knew no one else that flew rockets.
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 10-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H

I knew the neighbor kid that got me started and in the 5 - 6 years that I flew regularly, I knew no one else that flew rockets.
Well, they were in different cities, on opposite sides of the state (Grand Rapids and Detroit, in my new and old neighborhoods). I had gotten both of them started in the hobby.

MarkII
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow
I flew my first model rocket. Back then my dad was working at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago. Vern sent him a sample rocket (Mark) and an A.8-3 and some literature. Dad brought the stuff home for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
The funny thing is last year my parents gave me a set of old pictures. In that group of a few pictures, there was a photo of my first launch. I was ecstatic to see that!

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
An acquaintance of my father, with a son about my age, had given Dad an Estes catalog, 1968 or 69 vintage, and we ordered an Alpha starter set for Christmas. I... I finally went in the house to warm up while my dad, uncle and cousins stayed at it a little longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billspad
I couldn't even remember what year it was until I found a picture with the date written on it. I did remember that it was a Scout and that's what's in the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
I was fortunate growing up, my grandparents had 150 acres of farmland just outside of town. A few months after that first launch, my Mother had called up the Fire Marshall in Sacramanto. He drove 3 1/2 hours to check out the farm for rocket launches.
We got the permit!

Quote:
I just remember it was 1967 when I first heard about model rockets. I lived next to the Junior High School athletic field and a neighbor was launching rockets with his dad and one came down in our back yard. I borrowed his Estes catalog and ordered some rockets.

So many of you had the support and approval of parents or other adults for your participation in model rocketry. I didn't, though. My parents were convinced that I would go to prison if I ever got caught with model rockets. I always had to place my mail orders in secret, and then sneak the packages into the house, even after they found out that I was pursuing it. There are no pictures of my rockets from those days, because if anyone took one, my folks would eventually learn about it, and I would catch hell. And I did catch it when they finally found out. But by then I was old enough that they didn't immediately confiscate my stuff. I still had to build my kits in secret and sneak them out to launch them, though. My parents waited until I went off to college and then took all of my rockets, engines, launch pad, etc. and tossed them into the trash. I didn't find out until I came home on break.

MarkII
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 AM
MMXCVII

Quote:

He knew infinitely more people than I did when I started.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Junior Rocketeer

1966 For me. I was in England visiting my grandmother and happened upon some guys flying of all things model rockets!

Andrew From Texas
Old 11-13-2009, 10:27 PM
7/21/61

I don't remember my first rocket flight but I know it was probably 1967. I was fortunate to grow up in Phoenix and there were 3 good hobby stores all within easy bicycling distance of my house. All the hobby shops carried a full line of Centuri products and it wasn't until I'd been in the hobby a few years that I first saw an Estes product and was amazed that somebody would have the gall to just flat out steal Centuri's idea and make their own line of model rockets and motors. The local hobby stores were so well stocked that I never ordered anything by mail.

I had a couple of friends who flew rockets occasionally but I never knew of any organized group that launched rockets. That's especially ironic considering that Bill Stine grew up not far from me and the Piesters occasionally shopped in my parents drugstore (facts I only recently learned).

Bob, like you, I've had a lifetime of fun from model rocketry.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Ol' Vern Estes had a great business model back then. Sell some kid a launch controller (remember the controller that had the four "D" photo batteries in it?) a streak kit, and 3 A.8-3 engines? If the controller worked and you actually flew the Streak you would probably lose it after the first flight. Then you had to go back and buy more from Estes.

That was a sales plan.

That is how I got started. I put everything together, went to a little open field behind my house, my mom and two sisters were watching, I counted down, and swoosh, there it went never to be seen from again.

I think I got maybe 4 or 5 launches out of that launcher before I got so frustrated I decided to build my own. Those photo D batteries just could provide the power. Of course this was way before alkalines came about.

Good Time, Good Times.

Andrew From Texas
Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

My oldest brother turned me on to rocketry. He built an Estes Aerobee 300 the very Saturday that Apollo 13 lifted off. The next day we flew it in the field behind our house. On the other side of town was "Krantz Hobby Shop",a small Mom and Pop hobby store that was in Mr.and Mrs.Krantz's garage. The first rocket I purchased there was a Streak (because it was cheap.) I remember painting multi-colored stripes on it,(it looked uglier than hell), and lost it on it's first flight with a 1/4A3-2. The first kit I ever mail-ordered was the Astron Spaceman,because Krantz's didn't carry it. Mrs.Krantz said "We don't sell that one,honey. It flies apart." It never came apart on me,but I only flew it a couple times. Back then,you could send currency and coins in the mail.