Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 04:57 PM
7/21/61

Try this link instead.

http://www.sevra.org/videos/MLAS_Sim_v5.avi

Thanks again to our friends at SEVRA for hosting the video.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Old Rocketeer

Old 07-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by falingtrea

Here's a cool video from space.com showing the vehicle up close and then the launch.

http://www.space.com/common/media/v...708_mlas-launch

Gordon and Steve, were you able to get to the launch this morning?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Gordon and Steve, were you able to get to the launch this morning?

YES!

We were there as invited guests of NASA along with our friend Peter Alway.

The video you linked was shot from our location.

It was just as stupendous as the video indicates.

More tomorrow when we get home.

Our heartfelt thanks to Tim Wilson who did so much to make MLAS fly so beautifully and who made it possible for Gordy, Pete, and me to be there.

Steve
Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Our heartfelt thanks to Tim Wilson who did so much to make MLAS fly so beautifully and who made it possible for Gordy, Pete, and me to be there.

The Tim Wilson who also does model rocketry?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-09-2009, 08:30 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
The Tim Wilson who also does model rocketry?

Yes. Tim is the assistant director of NESC, which did the MLAS. Early in the MLAS project they wanted to build a flying model to help explain how the real flight would work. Tim contacted Gordy, and asked if he could make the parts for the aeroshroud and capsule. They went throuh a couple of versions and the models Tim built were gorgeous.

That's why Gordy was invited to watch the launch. Tim was extremely gracious in allowing Pete and I to come along as part of Gordy's team.

It was the first real rocket launch the three of us have seen. And as the eminent rocketry historian and scale judge Peter Alway said: "Well, they definitely scored all their mission points on that one.".
Old 07-10-2009, 02:37 PM
7/21/61

OK, here's a trip report.

Gordy (Sandman), Peter Alway (author of Rockets of the World and a fellow HUVARS member) and I were at the launch. It was truly, truly, spectacular.

The invited guests were almost exclusively NASA and involved aerospace representatives. We were invited because Gordy built parts for some of the models used by the MLAS team early in the project. Pete and I were there as part of Gordy's "team".

We arrived at the Wallops main gate at 3:45 am to sign in for our credentials.
From there we went to the Wallops auditorium where we were given a very nice pre-flight briefing from one of the project engineers. After the 30 minute briefing we boarded NASA buses and headed out to the launch control center, building U40. There were about 100 guests and about 15 to 20 press. The launch control center is located about 2 miles from the launch site. The photos below give an idea of what the site was like.

The MLAS was not visible on the launch pad from where we were located. The NASA video of the launch was taken from the observation roof of the building where we were located so it is exactly the view we had. The screaming you hear in the video included us. (Unfortunately the video ends just before Gordy yelled out, "Do it again!", which broke up everybody there.)

Initial liftoff was scheduled for 5:45 but that got pushed back to 6:15 for better lighting. The countdown speaker blew out right as we arrived on site so the Wallops public affairs officer just shouted out the countdown to us. At T-10 minutes there was a short hold for final checks, then it resumed without further holds.

Pete, Gordy, and I all watched through binoculars and the entire flight was close enough that it filled my field of vision in the binoculars. None of us took video, figuring NASA would have that much better covered than we could (which turned out to be correct). The mood of the crowd was incredible. Everybody knew each critical step which was supposed to happen and as each occurred successfully a cheer went up. As the aeroshell stabilization chutes deployed and the MLAS sought stability somebody in the crowd was chanting "stable...stable...stable....THERE IT IS !" and at that moment the crew module dropped from the aeroshell, and another cheer went up. Obviously, the biggest cheer was when the 4 mains unreefed about 500 feet above the water as planned.

Everybody there was ecstatic at the outcome, a totally successful flight. Truly one of the oddest things NASA has ever flown and it all worked beautifully. A short, fat, chute-a-palooza. The best comment of all, though came from Peter who noted that "they definitely earned all their mission points on that one." LOL.

The Wallops and NASA folks did a great job of making the launch a great experience for all. I know it's their job but they really do it well.

After the flight, at about 7 am, we were all bussed back to the auditorium at Wallops.

On our way out of the flight facility Pete, Gordy and I stopped at the rocket display at the main gate. One of the rockets had a Terrier booster, 4 of which were used in MLAS. Very impressive.

Then, on the way back to the hotel, we stopped at the Wallops Visitor Center Museum. Since the gift shop wasn't open we returned (after a nap) in the afternoon. To our surprise and delight a group of Space Camp kids were there launching their just built Alpha 3s and Mongooses. There were about 40 flights in all, which we enjoyed a lot. Gordy figured out we could get up on the observation roof of the center so we watched the Mongoose flights from there. Really a hoot to be at the same level the flights were staging at. Lots of fun.

We finished the day visiting the Oyster Museum (no lie), touring the Chincoteague wildlife refuge (where we saw a pair of bald eagles), taking a stroll on the beach, and having a great celebratory dinner, followed by ice cream at Mr. Whippy's.

This was Gordy and my second trip to try to watch MLAS fly, and third set of arrangement to be there. It was worth everything we went through to be there. And having Pete along along was a very special bonus.

You know what fans Gordy and I are of all things Pad Abort, so this was a dream come true to see a real one fly. And for Pete, the eminent rocketry historian, who has never seen a "real" rocket fly, and who drove 12 hours to be there, this was a dream come true as well.

Again, our very sincere thanks to Tim, who made it possible.

Last edited by Gus : 07-10-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:52 PM
7/21/61

Photos:

1. Gordy, me, and Peter in front of the data collection Supervan

2. View of the launch control center. First floor was for launch personnel, second floor for guests. Roof was reserved for the press.

3. View toward the south of the launch site. Antennae like these are everywhere on the Wallops site.

4. View toward the launch site. That's Pete way out on the grass. Almost no one ventured off the cement viewing pad because the mosquitos around Wallops are vicious. They had sprayed the day before in anticipation of our being there but they were still in abundance.

5. NASA Launch Pic, which is pretty much the way it looked through binoculars. The sound arriving as we watched was awesome. You can get a feel for it on the NASA video.

6. Wallops Flight Facility entrance rockets. The white booster over Gordy's left shoulder is a Terrier, four of which were used to boost the MLAS.

7. Wallops Visitor Center launch. Look at the Aerobee out on the lawn in the background. The aircraft is one previously used in research at the station.

8. Gordy and Pete on the beach near Wallops. Chincoteague is a big resort area because of the beautiful beach. The pic kind of reminds me of those old NASA astronaut running on the beach pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  GordyStevePeteDataSupervan.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  140.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LaunchControlCenter.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  167.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Looking-South.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  135.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  ViewTowardLaunchSite.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  133.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NASALaunchPic.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  159.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WallopsGateRockets.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  144.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SpaceCampLaunch.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  113.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  GPonBeach.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  174.4 KB  
Old 07-10-2009, 03:10 PM
BAR

Steve, you're too nice .... you really ought to be upset for all the on-again / off-again stuff you went through!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsotr
Steve, you're too nice .... you really ought to be upset for all the on-again / off-again stuff you went through!

Actually we weren't upset by any of that...disapointed at first but no where upset by it.

We do understand that these thing basically run on their own schedule not ours.

But the first trip we learned where everything was and how to get places. Actually we are way more familiar with the Chincoteaque area than we will ever need to be.

Unfreaking believably good Seafood! I'm still stuffed!

Let's not forget Mr. Whippy's Ice Cream!

Bike ride on Asseteaque Island Wildlife Preserve.

Plus the first cancellation gave us a day and a half walking around Colonial Williamsburg.

Absolutely NO complaints at all!

But in the end the launch...WOW!!!

Coming home was the worst part of the trip!

http://sandmandecals.com/