Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
And here's a link to said PDF in case Carl needs it for producing the kit:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes...LittleJoeII.pdf

Thanks, Sean!
How easy can that be? Thanks Scott!
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Ltvscout's Avatar
Ltvscout Ltvscout is online now
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
How easy can that be? Thanks Scott!

No problemo.
__________________
Scott D. Hansen
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe - Your One Stop BAR Shoppe!
Ye Olde Rocket Plans - OOP Rocket Plans From 38 Companies!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
Ye Olde Rocket Auction
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-08-2005, 02:04 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
No problemo.


Scott, that's French! (OLD Addams Family reference. Apologies will be profuse and swift.)
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes Honest John, PemTech Kraken, Semroc Egg Crate, Semroc S.P.E.V

Rediscovered: Semroc Laser X, Semroc SLS Laser X

In paint: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Estes Monarch, Estes Nike Apache, Estes Sky Warrior, Semroc Squire

Body shop: Estes Jayhawk, TLP Perseus

Ready to fly: Centuri Zebra II, Estes Alpha, Estes Astron Farside X, Estes Astron Apogee, FRW Star Jart, Semroc Point
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-09-2005, 08:29 PM
jpasqual jpasqual is offline
Junior Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16
Default

Carl - Will the Saturn 1B be a 4 engine cluster like the original Estes K-29 or do you plan on doing something different
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-09-2005, 09:04 PM
kurtschachner's Avatar
kurtschachner kurtschachner is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southeastern Wisconsin
Posts: 1,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Parts will be coming online as they are received.

Plans (subject to change) are for:
KS-1 Saturn 1B 1/70 (based on Estes K-29)
KS-2 Apollo Capsule 1/70 (based on Estes NCK-29)
KS-3 Little Joe II 1/70 (based on Estes K-30)
in time for Christmas.


I have a few unsolicited comments about this list, if you're interested.

As someone who has cloned the Estes 1/70 scale kit, IMHO there are a few flaws with the Estes design. Maybe I shouldn't call them flaws but things that may have been necessary in the late 60s that aren't today.

First off, the scalloped shroud in the original kit is cut from paper. This was then glued to the tank tubes and then the assembly was painted. This is a beast to do and in my opinion the shroud should be made from plastic (like the Centuri and Apogee kits) and the tank tubes painted ahead of time. This is much easier to accomplish.

Second, the Estes decals did not have a white rectangle behind the "United States" for the black tubes. In the kit you were supposed to mask off four of the white tubes before painting them black. Again I think this is too complicated for no reason.

I redrew the Estes decals and had them screen printed for our group cloning effort so feel free to "steal" that artwork if you like. However, the Estes decals weren't all that accurate. The Centuri decals rescaled to 1/69 would be a better representation (I also have the artwork for that).

Now as for that capsule, when we cloned our 100 sets of stuff we could not get those replicated in balsa. We could get the capsule done but not the two small balsa pieces for the escape tower. One of our group members ended up reproducing the three balsa parts in resin and it worked very well. The only problem with that was getting the four tower holes drilled properly in the resin capsule, but I had a machinist at work drill them for me.

Lastly, for the Little Joe II I have also redrawn those decals from the Estes kit. I can't recall if they are on JimZ's site or not, but if not let me know and I will send them to Scott. I also have a couple original body wraps for this kit you could borrow if you want.

Kurt
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpasqual
Carl - Will the Saturn 1B be a 4 engine cluster like the original Estes K-29 or do you plan on doing something different
Plans are for interchangeable adapters included for original four 18mm engine cluster and single 24mm engine.
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
I have a few unsolicited comments about this list, if you're interested.
Very interested! Consider all comments solicited. We do not work in a vacuum.
Quote:
First off, the scalloped shroud in the original kit is cut from paper. This was then glued to the tank tubes and then the assembly was painted. This is a beast to do and in my opinion the shroud should be made from plastic (like the Centuri and Apogee kits) and the tank tubes painted ahead of time. This is much easier to accomplish.
We started to change to plastic, but the paper has the "look and feel" of the old kits. Plastic would raise the price significantly and vacuum wraps are available oline.
Quote:
Second, the Estes decals did not have a white rectangle behind the "United States" for the black tubes. In the kit you were supposed to mask off four of the white tubes before painting them black. Again I think this is too complicated for no reason.
Agree! Those four decals will have a white background so the tubes can be painted solid black.
Quote:
I redrew the Estes decals and had them screen printed for our group cloning effort so feel free to "steal" that artwork if you like. However, the Estes decals weren't all that accurate. The Centuri decals rescaled to 1/69 would be a better representation (I also have the artwork for that).
Thanks, we will tweak the decals.
Quote:
Now as for that capsule, when we cloned our 100 sets of stuff we could not get those replicated in balsa. We could get the capsule done but not the two small balsa pieces for the escape tower. One of our group members ended up reproducing the three balsa parts in resin and it worked very well. The only problem with that was getting the four tower holes drilled properly in the resin capsule, but I had a machinist at work drill them for me.
The capsule is all balsa so the paper shrould is not necessary. A decal will replace the color shroud. The balsa escape tower cone and nozzle are cut as one part and cut apart by the builder. They are very close to the original.
Quote:
Lastly, for the Little Joe II I have also redrawn those decals from the Estes kit. I can't recall if they are on JimZ's site or not, but if not let me know and I will send them to Scott. I also have a couple original body wraps for this kit you could borrow if you want.
Kurt
Thanks again! We would really like to see some original wraps to try to get ours as close to them as possible.

Our design goal for these kits is to keep them as close as possible to the original and keep them reasonable in price. Our target prices are under $50.00 for the Saturn 1B and under $20.00 for the Little Joe II. We are planning on also including "close-to-scale" laser-cut balsa fins for modellers that that want a flying model and don't want to spend the time with the included paper and rib fins that are based on the original kit.
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-12-2005, 11:04 AM
jpasqual jpasqual is offline
Junior Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16
Default

Thanks Carl -Kurt for your input on the Sat 1B - definetly a classic of it's time - even with it's imperfection - It's one kit I would truly like to add to my collection
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-12-2005, 09:51 PM
kurtschachner's Avatar
kurtschachner kurtschachner is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southeastern Wisconsin
Posts: 1,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
We started to change to plastic, but the paper has the "look and feel" of the old kits. Plastic would raise the price significantly and vacuum wraps are available oline.


What about laser cutting a styrene shroud? You'd have to somehow join the two ends, but it'd be more sturdy than a paper one.

Can you laser cut styrene sheet?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
What about laser cutting a styrene shroud? You'd have to somehow join the two ends, but it'd be more sturdy than a paper one.

Can you laser cut styrene sheet?
I have not tried styrene yet. Vacuformed parts are something that we really want to be able to provide.
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2020