Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 03:37 PM
The_Ripper

Default New Design -- SSRS Lasor-134 Sounding Rocket

I list this as a "new design" because I don't think I've ever submitted the RockSim file to Craig for BARCLONE.

I've cloned this model many times since I purchased my first SSRS kit back in the early 80's. Flight proven on a variety of F and G motors with the hardwood cone version I currently have but can be flown on D12 or even E9 on a small field with no wind in the Semroc Balsa Cone version. I've always built it with a hardwood nose cone like the original but included a second file with all Semroc parts and EM-9115 for the builder that may prefer not to order the custom basswood Sandman nose cone. Original version used Hemlock for the nose cone and bulkhead. Sandman drawing for ordering one of the nose cones he made for me is attached. Can handle high DV's well as I use a braided kevlar shock cord mount and as many yards of 1/4" elastic shock cord as I can manage in the airframe along with streamer recovery. The Semroc LT-125 tubing can handle the abuse

Original thread with build pictures and information on SSRS / Crown Rocket Technology:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...3&postcount=165

Some of the text is out of date as Semroc does now makes a baffle for series 125 tubing and I bought a bunch of these. Thanks Carl, I know you probably did this at first just for me!

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...?idproduct=1462

Length: 38.50"
Diameter: 1.34" (LT-125)
Span Diameter: 5.6836"
Weight:
8.1 oz (Sandman Basswood Nose Cone with Hardwood Dowel Bulkhead)
7.4 oz (Semroc Balsa Nose Cone with EM-9115)

Launch rod: 48" x 3/16" D12
(1/4" x 60" Rod or Rail preferred for most F and G flights ... and Estes E9 in zero wind)

D12-5......716'......Dv 13 FPS

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  001 SSRS Lasor-134 Rocket Design Components.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  223.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  002 SSRS Lasor-134 Flight Simulations.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  206.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  003 SSRS Lasor-134 Flight Simulations EM-9115.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  198.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  004 Export 3-D Image.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  15.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Lasor-134 Clone With Vintage AT G40WL.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  168.3 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt SSRSLasor134_Clone.RKT (112.7 KB, 190 views)
File Type: rkt SSRSLasor134_SEMROC.RKT (59.6 KB, 193 views)
File Type: pdf Roachwerks Crown Ogive for Semroc LT-125.pdf (104.4 KB, 199 views)
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 04-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I list this as a "new design" because I don't think I've ever submitted the RockSim file to Craig for BARCLONE.

I've cloned this model many times since I purchased my first SSRS kit back in the early 80's. Flight proven on a variety of F and G motors with the hardwood cone version I currently have but can be flown on D12 or even E9 on a small field with no wind in the Semroc Balsa Cone version. I've always built it with a hardwood nose cone like the original but included a second file with all Semroc parts and EM-9115 for the builder that may prefer not to order the custom basswood Sandman nose cone. Original version used Hemlock for the nose cone and bulkhead. Sandman drawing for ordering one of the nose cones he made for me is attached. Can handle high DV's well as I use a braided kevlar shock cord mount and as many yards of 1/4" elastic shock cord as I can manage in the airframe along with streamer recovery. The Semroc LT-125 tubing can handle the abuse

Original thread with build pictures and information on SSRS / Crown Rocket Technology:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...3&postcount=165

Some of the text is out of date as Semroc does now makes a baffle for series 125 tubing and I bought a bunch of these. Thanks Carl, I know you probably did this at first just for me!

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...?idproduct=1462

I didn't know about the baffles for the 125 tubes - I'll put some on my next order.
I have the parts for a Lasor 134 put aside with 2 payloads - 1 with a 3" long dowel bulkhead that you recomended for larger motors, and one w/a lighter weight slit body tube type bulkhead for D/E motors. Once I'm done with this current batch of projects that I'm finishing up, I'll start filling the tubes and glueing the fins on this one. It' going to be a great weekend here for painting!!

S.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:15 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I didn't know about the baffles for the 125 tubes - I'll put some on my next order.
I have the parts for a Lasor 134 put aside with 2 payloads - 1 with a 3" long dowel bulkhead that you recomended for larger motors, and one w/a lighter weight slit body tube type bulkhead for D/E motors. Once I'm done with this current batch of projects that I'm finishing up, I'll start filling the tubes and glueing the fins on this one. It' going to be a great weekend here for painting!!

S.

Sounds great Sean! I'm sure you'll enjoy building and flying your Lasor as they always turn in great flights. I guess I was on the right track by thinking others may want to build this model specifically for D and E motors so I'm glad I posted both files including the all Semroc parts version.

I'm sure I have the Semroc parts to build another payload section and the EM-9115 so I may do the same as you just suggested so I can fly mine on D and E motors at our smaller Luling field, saving the heavier set up for our HPR field in Winnsboro, LA.

I just read the American Spacemodeling article that you sent to me a good while back where G. Harry Stine and VALSUN members flew the Lasor-114 on G25's back in Nov. 84
Great article

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 04-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Forest Sprite

Very cool, Steve! Were these kits well known and popular in their day? (When was their day, anyway?) I have seen the one catalog posted on Ninfinger, but I don't know anything else about the company or their kits. It looks like a great rocket for altitude record attempts!

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-17-2009, 08:38 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Very cool, Steve! Were these kits well known and popular in their day? (When was their day, anyway?) I have seen the one catalog posted on Ninfinger, but I don't know anything else about the company or their kits. It looks like a great rocket for altitude record attempts!

MarkII

Thanks Mark. The first page of the 1982 catalog has a write up about the company history:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...2/82crown2.html

I don't remember how I discovered them but I purchased a good bit from them via mail order and the F67 and E30 motors along with the Lasor-114 and 134 kits were part of my first purchases. These were the first composite motors I was able to get my hands on shortly after I finished high school in 1979. The early SSRS motors had hand written designations without a label. The Crown motors had white paper with red print on the labels. Sean (SEL) and others here at YORF have some of these motors and can possibly refer you to pictures. I flew all mine! They were 1.125" dia with phenolic cases and had graphite nozzles. I don't think the company existed much beyond the 82 catalog. Some of the members here that participated at r.m.r. may be able to give you better history since Mark Mahyle did post there some.

I also bought some kits after the company went out of business from Larry A. Broadbent in Canada. He had some boxed Lasor kits and Crown airframes and hardwood nose cones as well as a very good selection of Composite Dynamics parts that I purchased from him as well.

SAM# 0052

Old 04-17-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mark. The first page of the 1982 catalog has a write up about the company history:

I don't remember how I discovered them but I purchased a good bit from them via mail order and the F67 and E30 motors along with the Lasor-114 and 134 kits were part of my first purchases. These were the first composite motors I was able to get my hands on shortly after I finished high school in 1979. The early SSRS motors had hand written designations without a label. The Crown motors had white paper with red print on the labels. Sean (SEL) and others here at YORF have some of these motors and can possibly refer you to pictures. I flew all mine! They were 1.125" dia with phenolic cases and had graphite nozzles. I don't think the company existed much beyond the 82 catalog. Some of the members here that participated at r.m.r. may be able to give you better history since Mark Mahyle did post there some.

I also bought some kits after the company went out of business from Larry A. Broadbent in Canada. He had some boxed Lasor kits and Crown airframes and hardwood nose cones as well as a very good selection of Composite Dynamics parts that I purchased from him as well.

I have a SSRS motor (see below) and I kick myself hard several times daily for not buying 50 Crown motors and 5 or 6 at least of the Sonics 40 & 80 kits from AAA in 1986 when Al still had them .

S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  ssrs5.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  48.5 KB  
Old 05-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:

Hi Steve,
Well here goes, my first post on this forum.
It's interesting reading about some of the OOP rocketry items I sold to you and so many others over the years.
Believe it or not, I still have some SSRS rocket kits, and some early ACE Rocket kits that I will likely part with.
Have some original SSRS rocket motors still in original packaging, I believe.
I'm hoping to make available to the Ye Old Rocket Form, all Composite Dynamics Rocket kit plans, fin patterns, as well as some of my Stargate Rocket Systems kits that I designed.

Cheers from Canada.
Larry Broadbent
Old 05-10-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate
Hi Steve,
It's interesting reading about some of the OOP rocketry items I sold to you and so many others over the years.
Believe it or not, I still have some SSRS rocket kits, and some early ACE Rocket kits that I will likely part with.
I'm hoping to make available to the Ye Old Rocket Form, all Composite Dynamics Rocket kit plans, fin patterns, as well as some of my Stargate Rocket Systems kits that I designed.

Cheers from Canada.
Larry Broadbent

Hey Larry,

Good to see you here on YORF! We exchanged a few emails back in 01 - 02.
re Enerjet, SSRS etc. Any plans you have to post would be most welcome,
along with a chance to bid on whatever kits you may want to sell/auction off! (See one of my earlier posts...)

Sean
Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Cheers from Canada.
Larry Broadbent

Well certainly good to hear from you Larry and welcome to the forum. Like Sean I'm interested in some of the SSRS rocket kits or plans should you decide to let go of those. I purchased several of your kits and the Stargate booster for a 2250 reduced size clone.

First composite motors I flew were SSRS/Crown and the Lasor series kits that I purchased through the mail order from them so great memories of those. I also still have this Lasor clone with hardwood nosecone I fly with F and G motors at our HPR field every once in a while with a streamer.

Great to hear from you. All my purchases and dealings with you in the past were great and you helped me clone models that at the time would have been very difficult without the parts you sold me.

SAM# 0052

Old 11-26-2013, 10:28 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Cheers from Canada.
Larry Broadbent

Have not seen anything from Larry in ages on here - anyone in touch ?

Did any of these plans ever get posted ?

Just wondering, as I start tinkering again after a hiatus.

~ Historian AL