Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 05:48 PM
The_Ripper

I'm still stumped

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
Anyone who's ever built a Centuri Space Shuttle knows it isn't a "glider."
LOL! For some reason, I'm reminded of the X-15 when I look at it.

FWIW, I have one of Mike Gerauld's BFTPR Centuri Shuttle clones in my round-tuit pile. Along with the somewhat similar Quest Shuttle Intrepid.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
Anyone who's ever built a Centuri Space Shuttle knows it isn't a "glider."

Point taken.

S.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Master Modeler

So....Bob....are you going to tell us?
Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Craftsman

Hey Romey,

It is Romey? Sorry if its not, just remember you from the rmr days and had dealing with you ... be prepaired to get PMs from Terry D and Jerry (DOC #20023788434) asking you what my last name is

OK, Miestro drum roll please ....................

The black kit featureed in that photo is a prototype Laser-X. It was one of the concepts but it finally made it to market under the form seen in the photo directly under Lee crouching in his business suit.

I have not recieved and answer as to why a prototype model was featued in a photo used in a retail catalog, but this information comes DIRECTLY from the Piesters and not some third or forth or twenty seventh party.

So there you have it, mystery solved although it opens up even mode questons...

Was the prototype Laser-X just used to have a rocket sitting on the Servo Launcher? Maybe they felt that showing an empty Servo Launcher was bad and have something on it that would acccent but not take full attention awau from the launcher. Afterall, this black rocket is unrecognizable and for almost 40 years, no one even noticed it! I guess it did its job being black and innocuous.

Well there you have it, I know its like what the (#$* are you saying that is a prototype Laser-X... it looks nothing like the retail version.

Well I could say the same about all the scores of test Astron Space Planes tested before the final retail version was released. Also, there are 8 inch reels of 16mm film floating around showing prototype testing of Estes models from the 1960s where the models flown look close but not exactly what finally made it to retail.

No I don't know where these films are 'floating' at and after the 'You stole my Cineroc' squeeze play orchistrated by JI and MD, I am keeping my mouth shut completely about what I know about. Heck, I don't even own a rocket. I just do slot cars, and Everquest 2!

Thanks all for playing.

Bob
Old 05-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
be prepaired to get PMs from Terry D and Jerry (DOC #20023788434) asking you what my last name is

No I don't know where these films are 'floating' at and after the 'You stole my Cineroc' squeeze play orchistrated by JI and MD, I am keeping my mouth shut completely about what I know about. Heck, I don't even own a rocket. I just do slot cars, and Everquest 2!

So it's STILL all about me, eh? Hmmm. I don't need to PM anyone and even if you told me your name I would not post it. The only reason I am even curious is I want to parse it against past observations and experiences of people from the distant past which you seem to be.

Have fun, keep posting historical info, and be aware when someone expresses concern their property is in your possession, it is not a personal attack on you, it is a valid concern. My advise if you want it, is since the artifacts are of historical significance and you are clearly keeping it safe, keep doing that, but for goodness sake take really good photos of the artifacts and make a digital movie of the films and send Dorffler a DVD or two. He at least deserves that.

Thank you in advance.

Just Jerry
Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks Bob.

Yes I remember you. A Laser X pre production model !? It makes sense I guess. I always thought it was an early version of the Space Shuttle which didn't work out. I thought that's why they had one at the lover left side of the picture.

Thanks.

rraeford
Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 AM
Master Modeler

Well, hitch me to a beer dray and call me a Clydesdale! This rocket doesn't look at all like what it is--it was well "hidden in plain sight." Thank you for letting us all know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Hey Romey,

It is Romey? Sorry if its not, just remember you from the rmr days and had dealing with you ... be prepaired to get PMs from Terry D and Jerry (DOC #20023788434) asking you what my last name is

OK, Miestro drum roll please ....................

The black kit featureed in that photo is a prototype Laser-X. It was one of the concepts but it finally made it to market under the form seen in the photo directly under Lee crouching in his business suit.

I have not recieved and answer as to why a prototype model was featued in a photo used in a retail catalog, but this information comes DIRECTLY from the Piesters and not some third or forth or twenty seventh party.

So there you have it, mystery solved although it opens up even mode questons...

Was the prototype Laser-X just used to have a rocket sitting on the Servo Launcher? Maybe they felt that showing an empty Servo Launcher was bad and have something on it that would acccent but not take full attention awau from the launcher. Afterall, this black rocket is unrecognizable and for almost 40 years, no one even noticed it! I guess it did its job being black and innocuous.

Well there you have it, I know its like what the (#$* are you saying that is a prototype Laser-X... it looks nothing like the retail version.

Well I could say the same about all the scores of test Astron Space Planes tested before the final retail version was released. Also, there are 8 inch reels of 16mm film floating around showing prototype testing of Estes models from the 1960s where the models flown look close but not exactly what finally made it to retail.

Thanks all for playing.

Bob
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Well, hitch me to a beer dray and call me a Clydesdale! This rocket doesn't look at all like what it is--it was well "hidden in plain sight." Thank you for letting us all know.

I'm still not convinced. Not at least until I hear Lee saying so himself.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Dazed and Confused

So the prototype Laser-X had a piggy back glider on it?