Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

Default In rebuttal!

I first would like to state that my clone parts are as close to original as possible. The panels are thin and weight almost the same as the original. To make the panels I pour the plastic in a mold then at gust the right time I place the underside mold on top and squeeze out the excess plastic so they are thin about the same thickness as the original. Way they are preformed is because the plastic once hard can not be warped without braking. You see once the plastic has dried put still soft I sand the flat surface so it’s a uniform thickness to the best I can. Next I remove it from the mold and cut it to the size needed, then before it gets to hard I have to hurry and wrap it around the right body tube using masking tape so the panel dose not loose its design. The large panel goes on a BT-50 body tube and the small panel on a TB-60 Tube.

This is way It is pre formed for When you receive the panels they are already warped for you all you have to do is glue them to the body tube. As for the nose cone I made an exact copy of the original and only weight about 2 grams more then the original. That is way I use the darker plastic for it is lighter than the white plastic, Put the darker plastic dries in seconds and the white in minutes and is easier to work with. In fact that extra 2 grams would help make the rocket more stable in flight.

The weight is only a couple of grams different. To help barone if you use J-B weld you will have better luck gluing the panels to the body tube and use masking tape not rubber bands for they can damage the panels. J-b weld cleans up with rubbing Alcahal.

Here is a copy of my instructions I send with the plastic parts. Also my rocket built with my parts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Starfleet Scopion parts instructions page 2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  212.6 KB  
Old 08-29-2005, 04:35 PM

The underbelly showing the Launch lug made into the bottom pylon as noted by the instructions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  The Motor casing.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  19.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  The scorpion Launch lug.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  167.4 KB  
Old 08-29-2005, 04:53 PM

A picture of the back showing the launch lug at the tip of my fanger.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  The Launcl lug of the scorpion.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  27.1 KB  
Old 08-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley Davis
A picture of the back showing the launch lug at the tip of my fanger.

Arley,

Thanks for the tip about the JB weld. I'm still confused about the launch lug though. The plans have a body panel installed between the two wings on the PT-400. Then, the plans have the launch lug installed there also. Your picture seems to place it between a pylon and the PT-400 (which seems like an excellent idea to me....kinda hides it). Is that what you did?

BTW, it does seem like this rocket will need some additional nose weight to make up for all the stuff loaded in the rear.....

Don
NAR #53455
Old 08-29-2005, 08:05 PM

Yes I like to hide the launch lug in the build if you read the instructions I posted, it will tail you were the Launch Lug would go. And if you place it on the bottom the Launch Lug will go between the space were the Large panel seam is my launch lug is over 7” long and looks like part of the large Panel.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:19 PM

Default To help you in your building.

Dear Barone
I have built rockets for mini years and I like to help others if I can.

So here is some helpful hints on building the Scorpion.

First cut and Glue the Pylons into place and next add any sanding sealer to them and add good fillets thin sand and paint with a white primer before sliding and gluing the BT-60 tube on it is almost impassable to do anything after it is glued into place. I also added sanding sealer to the inside of the BT-60 tube and the Two BT-20 side pods before sanding next I painted the inside of the tubes with White primer. For it is almost imputable to do so after they are glued into place without making a mess.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

So here is some helpful hints on building the Scorpion.....

Arley,

Thanks for the tips. Especially concerning the launch lug placement. Had to read your instructions twice before I caught on (told you I build slowly ). Primed the BTs last night and started to sand them today. Getting a lot of moisture from Katrina so won't be able to do much more. Have you flown your clone? I'm curious to know how it did with the heavier nose cone. I'm already counting on having to add some nose weight but was hoping to get a "feel" for how much. I'm not very good with the swing test......seems to always want to fly butt first even on kits that I know are stable.

Well, guess I'll go fill and sand some balsa.

Don
NAR 53455
Old 08-30-2005, 11:28 AM

Default What is Katrina

Did you but one or two coats of sanding sealer inside the body tubes before painting them with white primer, this will not only strengthen the tubes but make them smooth and not absorb all the primer. I use Karolyn Sandable White Primer

As for flying my rocket I made it for display and for show how the rocket looks with my parts. I am also at this time working on the Canaroc Warlock Clone for a rocketeer of the name of Andy sent me the Gun Turret so I could clone this very rear kit. It is very difficult to build but I am taking picture of my construction of the rocket to help others in building this kit that’s if Rocketeers wish to build the Warlock. Andy told me he paid over $500.00 for the Warlock on ebay.

If you fly the Scorpion please show pictures to us all.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I am also at this time working on the Canaroc Warlock Clone for a rocketeer of the name of Andy sent me the Gun Turret so I could clone this very rear kit. It is very difficult to build but I am taking picture of my construction of the rocket to help others in building this kit that’s if Rocketeers wish to build the Warlock. Andy told me he paid over $500.00 for the Warlock on ebay.

If you fly the Scorpion please show pictures to us all.

Okay Arley, you've really peaked my interest. I'd like to get some parts to clone a Warlock myself. Let me know when they're available .

For the Scorpion, I only plan on fill and sand the PT400 tube (plan on painting inside black) and the very ends of the PT100s after I cut the tapers (also plan to paint inside of those black also).

As for flying, I hope to have it ready for the October launch scheduled in St. Louis. I'll be sure to take LOTS of pictures. Maybe even get a movie but not sure how to upload it. The last one I did was HUGE, took up lots of space.

Don
Old 08-30-2005, 01:37 PM

Default CanaRoc Warlock

For a picture of the Warlock check out the Venders section at the bottom under the heading My clone of the Canaroc Scorpion. Half way down the page you will see a picture of the Warlock under EchoVictor's Thread.