Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Dave,

It will go out tomorrow. Thanks!

I did not realize the Centuri 1B was Apollo 7. Does anyone have the service model silver wrap?

Thanks, Carl. You might want to get with Leroy Piester about the Centuri Saturn 1-B's
development; he could give some insight on the model's silver wrap. My model (even though it's about 37 years old) still has the wrap on. I'm planning on using the silver/
chrome monokote adhesive from BMS to help in the detailing of the SM finish. Shouldn't
be all that hard to do. I used the monokote to enhance the detailing of the SM to the
Estes K-36 Saturn - V I built recently.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I did not realize the Centuri 1B was Apollo 7. Does anyone have the service model silver wrap?
Carl,

My 1B is the Centuri 1/100 sold as EST #2048. I opened the box and took everything out, but it appears the silver for the SM is simply paint in this kit. The instuctions don't show a wrap for that. And I didn't see one anywhere in the parts.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Carl,

My 1B is the Centuri 1/100 sold as EST #2048. I opened the box and took everything out, but it appears the silver for the SM is simply paint in this kit. The instuctions don't show a wrap for that. And I didn't see one anywhere in the parts.

Doug

The Estes version of the Centuri Saturn 1-B was simply painted silver (see the pic below of
the Estes model taken at the Makers Faire last October). When I get the chance over the
next couple of days, I may be able to make a rough trace of the silver wrap on my Centuri
model (in 1/100 scale, of course). I also have the Centuri Saturn - V, and I think I still have
what's left of the peel off piece from which the silver wrap came from (but it's different than
the 1-B's pattern).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Maker's Faire @ Austin (Estes-Cox) Volunteer Activity 027.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  63.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Scout Troop 941&Challenger 498 Club Launch Rushing Park 069.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  93.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Scout Troop 941&Challenger 498 Club Launch Rushing Park 075.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  56.1 KB  
Old 09-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Sure, I can put it up, but it'll have to wait till tomorrow as I'm about to go out the door. I'll email you the particulars (ftp server and account) later tonight.

Roy, have you had a chance to upload the data yet?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Roy, have you had a chance to upload the data yet?

had some trouble with configuring the FTP server, but Chan now has the correct information and when he gets a chance to upload it, it will be available at http://www.soarrocketry.org/saturn/<filename>
Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
I got mine Saturday and got the tube spirals filled yesterday. Has any one built this one similar to the 1/70 Estes Sat 1b and painted it in sub-assemblies? I'm just worried about seams or an ill fit with the scallop shroud.

That's what I planned on doing as well but it looks like you have to be careful with the orientation that way. I had the 1/100 1B and I think the decals for the black tanks already had the white background because I just don't remember masking it off. Oh well.

Since these aren't flying I'm taking the easy way and installing the single motor mount. Everyone doing the built up fins? I don't want to be different.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

That's my plan. Going to start working on them tonight. I don't think I got the cluster option parts unless they're still in the popcorn packing.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Master Modeler

Here is the wrap for the Centuri Saturn V. I have a scan if anyone wants it but it's too big to post to this board.

I also have a scan of the 1b here somewhere, just if I could find it. I was once told (by someone who should know) that the 1b wrap "wasn't very accurate" so I never drew it up. I don't know if that is true or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
The Estes version of the Centuri Saturn 1-B was simply painted silver (see the pic below of
the Estes model taken at the Makers Faire last October). When I get the chance over the
next couple of days, I may be able to make a rough trace of the silver wrap on my Centuri
model (in 1/100 scale, of course). I also have the Centuri Saturn - V, and I think I still have
what's left of the peel off piece from which the silver wrap came from (but it's different than
the 1-B's pattern).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SV Service Module Wrap.pdf (10.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Master Modeler

You are correct, the Estes kit did not have a white rectangle behind the letters. That was just making it needlessly difficult IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
That's what I planned on doing as well but it looks like you have to be careful with the orientation that way. I had the 1/100 1B and I think the decals for the black tanks already had the white background because I just don't remember masking it off. Oh well.

Since these aren't flying I'm taking the easy way and installing the single motor mount. Everyone doing the built up fins? I don't want to be different.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Master Modeler

OK, I don't have the Saturn 1b wrap. I remember now, the guy who had one said he'd send it to me, but that was about 10 years ago and it never happened. He kept telling me to use the pattern in ROTW as it was much more accurate. That however, would be hard to translate into a wrap due to the thin horizontal sections.

BUT, now that Rustee found one in a hobby shop it shouldn't be a problem. I asked him to scan all the stuff. I hope he does.