Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2005, 08:31 PM
BP Mafia

I think Doug Holverson has some. I've been meaning to buy some, but it must be in my blind spot. (Kind of like launch lugs.)
Old 03-21-2005, 01:27 AM
BP Mafia

For your viewing pleasure:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Vulcan  with fins started.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  202.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Vulcan complete.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  94.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Vulcan clone on pad at Rossford.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  162.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vulcan ignition on an A8-3.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  67.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  New, Improved Centuri Guy with Vulcan clone.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  172.6 KB  
Old 03-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Out To Launch

I'd like to get hold of some too. As well as some of the fibre board that engine mount rings are cut from. My whole attitude about a clone is to make it as close to the original as possible, inside and out. I substituted a CR-78 centering ring lock retainer and ply wood for the bulkhead out of necessity. To me the greatest thing would be if I were able to reproduce the semi-gloss card stock of the original printed parts as well.

I am also currently working on a Thunder Roc clone which is a kit-bash of a Mean Machine with laser-cut Semroc fins. I actually cut the "lever" off the Estes engine lock to better reproduce the original kit.

Of course, the best thing of all would be to resurrect the entire Centuri line in kit form. Then I could buy two of each. One to build and one to save - like I should have done years ago.
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net
Old 03-21-2005, 06:47 PM
BP Mafia

Be sure to use the big launch rod. This one wants to whip around like crazy in the slightest breeze. Nice thing about it is that it's easier to transport than the Machine. Strangely enough, I missed the launch shot despite the slow takeoff.
http://www.rocketreviews.com/review...hunder_roc.html
Old 03-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Out To Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Be sure to use the big launch rod. This one wants to whip around like crazy in the slightest breeze.

Yeah, I remember. So far the only clones I'm building are of (Centuri) kits that I once owned as originals. The Vulcan and the Roc were my two favorites. Though I've done an X-24 "Bug", too. (My avatar. I'm having trouble with the glide on that one.)

BTW, the Roc will have dual 18" parachutes also. Just wish I could find 'em reproduced with the Centuri logo. I wouldn't build ANYTHING if it were a bonifide original now.

Last edited by Tweener : 03-22-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:44 PM
BP Mafia

Check Ebay. There have been quite a few Centuri chutes for sale of late. I bought six of them.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Out To Launch

Default Launch Report

Still haven't gotten around to pulling the construction photos off the camera, but I did launch the second Vulcan clone today.

Winds 11-15 MPH, powered by Estes B4-2. No noticable spiral roll at all, but very pronounced weather cock. Ejection was a problem once again. Engine lock held fine, but shock cord ripped apart at the mount. Luckily, the CG fought the CP for a nice light tumble type recovery on the main body. Nose cone floated gently down on the 'chute. I loosened the packing on the wadding, 'chute and cone fit this time, but the mass of the weighted cone was probably too much for the cord. I'll try either a heavier cord, or a longer one on the repair. I'm trying to stay away from the Kevlar leader, since that's not historically accurate, but then neither are the engines I'm flying it with. It may come to that.

On the bright side, the X-24 "Bug" glide problem was solved. Used Estes C6-3 on previous flights which resulted in ejection of the casing after apogee. This caused a nose first spin to the ground, even though glide tests were still successful after the launches. Today I used a C6-0 which ejected on the way up, causing the rocket to achieve glide CG prior to apogee. This resulted in a very nice glide from max altitude with a gentle circling left turn.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Out To Launch

Default Photos

Construction photos of the "kit", body tube construction, and everything ready for final assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  vulcan_proj01.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  57.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  vulcan_proj02.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  7.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  vulcan_proj03.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  25.1 KB  
Old 03-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
This is where those mylar rings that Centuri used to sell come in real handy. I could've sworn I saw these around again recently, like maybe Semroc or Flis Kits was making them or something.

Sorry if rebooting an old thread is considered rude, but I'm considering a "clone" of the Vulcan myself. I may change the color scheme; in fact, I may do it in black and white (I'm a monochrome sort of fellow, just look at my website...)

BUT... the mylar rings used to hold the engine hooks. Some of the Estes kits have these now. I realize the original posts looking for the mylar bands were made in 2005, but I thought I'd point it out for anyone still looking.

I'm thinking strongly of starting with an Estes kit to get the parts. This would mean that I'll be pushing a thrust ring up the tube rather than using a thrust coupler. I'd probably go with the kevlar leader attached to the thrust ring; historical accuracy isn't a big thing for me. But I will need the shorter nose cone...
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 03-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Hmph. Moldin' Oldies is offline for several months, or so the home page says. Where else can I get a stubby plastic nose cone? The Estes Pioneer has a small pointy one, not the parabolic cone such as came with the original Vulcan, but it's as close as I can find in plastic.

I'm doing a Black Vulcan. The Estes Sizzler kit contains a 9" BT-20, thrust ring, engine hook, mylar band, parachute and shock cord which I can use; I'm planning to buy a couple of the Wal-Mart two-packs with the Sizzler and Hi-Flyer to bash for parts for other rockets anyway. But the nose cones just won't look right on a Vulcanoid.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org