Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2024, 05:45 PM
Master Modeler

You know, I keep hearing these stories of models being built (and even painted) in hotel rooms at NARAM and I just don't understand coming to an event that is scheduled many months in advance (a year, typically) that unprepared. I guess that's just me.

I'm working on my NARAM models for this year now and have a number of the competition models already built and in some cases test-flown.

To get back to the original topic: I just took a look at a couple of possible ways to bring my MDRM to NARAM in our new set of wheels and it looks doable. I really should get rail buttons on that beast, though. It just has the stock 1/4 inch lugs on it at the moment.

Avis is talking about building a Mini for this year. My spreadsheet says I have one of the prior release in my kit stash, so we won't have to wait to see if this year's release comes out in time.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-29-2024, 08:26 PM
BP Mafia

In my case, the VF-261 was just released that first day of NSL. I decided that I wanted to be the first to buy and fly it. I actually was prepared.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Estes D.O.M. - Space Freighter Semroc - Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion

Unflown: Estes - Der Red Jinx, F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Jayhawk, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Microsonde 3 Payloader, Aerobee 300, Cyber III, Scrambler
Old 03-30-2024, 12:38 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
In my case, the VF-261 was just released that first day of NSL. I decided that I wanted to be the first to buy and fly it. I actually was prepared.

That actually makes some sense. I can even see myself doing something like that for a subject I really liked.

I have seen contest models being built at the hotel at NARAMs in the past (mind you, I've only been to four). I still don't get THAT.

To try again to get back on topic, I need to build another Der Squared Max. It's a good flier, but a Q-jet case burn-through put a hole in my first one (though I think it is still flyable). I did get two more kits before Rick ran out of square tubing....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-30-2024, 12:31 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
That actually makes some sense. I can even see myself doing something like that for a subject I really liked.

I have seen contest models being built at the hotel at NARAMs in the past (mind you, I've only been to four). I still don't get THAT.

To try again to get back on topic, I need to build another Der Squared Max. It's a good flier, but a Q-jet case burn-through put a hole in my first one (though I think it is still flyable). I did get two more kits before Rick ran out of square tubing....

I have a Jinx that I'm going to give the Max treatment. I did fly it once as a Jinx, just to say I flew one.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Estes D.O.M. - Space Freighter Semroc - Shrike, SST Shuttle

Unflown: Estes - Der Red Jinx, F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Jayhawk, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Microsonde 3 Payloader, Aerobee 300, Cyber III, Scrambler
Old 03-30-2024, 04:30 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Sure.

Do you have any 'Der Blue Max' apparel?

Sorry, no. But I don't have any 'Der Red Max' apparel either
Old 03-31-2024, 02:00 PM
Master Modeler

" My association with the Estes (Der) Red Max kit dates way back to 1972 when I purchased a boxed Citation series version of this kit."

Someday, I will build mine, such a cool boxed kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Citation.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  149.3 KB  
Old 03-31-2024, 04:10 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I have a Jinx that I'm going to give the Max treatment. I did fly it once as a Jinx, just to say I flew one.

After I talked about it, I headed down and primed it. This was the project this AM.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Der Jinx Max.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  295.9 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-06-2024, 07:16 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
<snip>I am announcing an unofficial Red Max flying Day for NARAM-65 (Day yet to be determined). Everyone bring and fly your Red Max models at NARAM-65 and if you have Red Max attire wear it on that day.

Maybe we should speak in funny German accents on that day too.

Let me know if you plan to attend NARAM-65 and we will coordinate the specific day for the Red Max fly-athon.
Though I've been flying for a long time, and competing in NRC every year, I have yet to attend a NARAM. A Der Red Max theme might be the ticket. I still have my build from the 70's, a recently rebuilt MDRM, a 3" BDRM, and an ST-10 downscale. A BT-70 size is on deck. Ordered a T-Shirt as soon as I saw it, of course.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DerRedMaxBuilds-2024-04-06.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  676.3 KB  
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 04-12-2024, 05:19 PM
Master Modeler

Speaking of DRM apparel, I was just on the Estes site to order that PSII launch rail pad and looked at the DRM T-shirt. One size is showing as sold out: 4XL.

No further comment required.

(I will order a medium or perhaps a large)
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-15-2024, 12:15 PM
Not so Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
You know, I keep hearing these stories of models being built (and even painted) in hotel rooms at NARAM and I just don't understand coming to an event that is scheduled many months in advance (a year, typically) that unprepared. I guess that's just me.

Final paint on a PMC model that got finished too late after going to school on a boilerplate.
Painting some extra bright colors on models to aid in recovery after seeing where they will end up.
Painting the model you bought on vendor row to fly during the week.

kj