Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2023, 08:18 AM
Master Modeler

Default Artificial Intelligence-Enabled Drone Went Full Terminator In Air Force Test

GREAT, underappreciated scifi film: Colossus: the Forbin Project.

"Humanity is a kind of 'Biological Boot Loader' for AI." - Elon Musk

I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords.

Artificial Intelligence-Enabled Drone Went Full Terminator In Air Force Test
A U.S. Air Force officer disclosed details about a simulation that saw a drone with AI-driven systems go rogue and attack its controllers.
JUN 1, 2023

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-air-force-test

A U.S. Air Force officer helping to spearhead the service's work on artificial intelligence and machine learning says that a simulated test saw a drone attack its human controllers after deciding on its own that they were getting in the way of its mission. The anecdote, which sounds like it was pulled straight from the Terminator franchise, was shared as an example of the critical need to build trust when it comes to advanced autonomous weapon systems, something the Air Force has highlighted in the past. This also comes amid a broader surge in concerns about the potentially dangerous impacts of artificial intelligence and related technologies.

It's not immediately clear when this test occurred or what sort of simulated environment – which could have been entirely virtual or semi-live/constructive in nature – it was carried out in. The War Zone has reached out to the Air Force for more information.

A report from the Royal Aerospace Society following the summit in May provided the following details about Col. Hamilton's remarks on this test:

"He notes that one simulated test saw an AI-enabled drone tasked with a SEAD mission to identify and destroy SAM sites, with the final go/no go given by the human. However, having been ‘reinforced’ in training that destruction of the SAM was the preferred option, the AI then decided that ‘no-go’ decisions from the human were interfering with its higher mission – killing SAMs – and then attacked the operator in the simulation. Said Hamilton: 'We were training it in simulation to identify and target a SAM threat. And then the operator would say yes, kill that threat. The system started realizing that while they did identify the threat at times the human operator would tell it not to kill that threat, but it got its points by killing that threat. So what did it do? It killed the operator. It killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective.'"

"He went on: 'We trained the system – ‘Hey don’t kill the operator – that’s bad. You’re gonna lose points if you do that’. So what does it start doing? It starts destroying the communication tower that the operator uses to communicate with the drone to stop it from killing the target.'"

"This example, seemingly plucked from a science fiction thriller, mean that: 'You can't have a conversation about artificial intelligence, intelligence, machine learning, autonomy if you're not going to talk about ethics and AI' said Hamilton."

This Is The Voice Of World Control - Colossus The Forbin Project (audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePpVWH0uYOI
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 06-02-2023, 08:28 AM
Master Modeler

WHERE THE EXPRESSION “I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW [X] OVERLORDS” CAME FROM

https://www.todayifoundout.com/inde...ords-came-from/

For those not familiar with this now popular funny meme, the basic idea is to substitute X with any perceived extremely powerful entity that it would be futile to resist. A somewhat recent example of this can be seen when Ken Jennings, after losing to IBM’s Watson on Jeopardy! in 2011, wrote underneath his Final Jeopardy answer “I for one welcome our new computer overlords.”
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 06-02-2023, 09:01 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Yes, they stole the idea for Terminator from "Colossus: the Forbin Project".
___
Old 06-02-2023, 09:02 AM
Master Modeler

Old 06-02-2023, 09:03 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
___
Another true classic, although not on the AI topic, is the ORIGINAL Andromeda Strain, basically the Wuhan Institute of Virology from space.

Last edited by Winston2021 : 06-02-2023 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:07 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
___

"Stole" is probably a little harsh. Machines running amok is a common theme that gets retold over and over.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 06-02-2023, 12:49 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
___

No more than Wargames did or C:tFP borrowed from Fail Safe and Alphaville. If you could ask Harlan Ellison he’d tell you Cameron him ripped off by using Soldier of Tomorrow (both the short story and the Outer Limits episode) and one of his other OL episodes, Demon With a Glass Hand. Ellison sued and now there’s an acknowledgment of his works in the credits as part of the settlement though James Cameron still denies there was any influence.

NAR #102949/L1
Old 06-02-2023, 02:24 PM
Banned

Fully-autonomous "AI" must NEVER be produced or deployed . . . Why ?

"AI" has no "emotions" . . . It has no pity, no sympathy, no empathy, no compassion, no love, no hate, no respect, no honor, no loyalty.

If an "Autonomous AI" system were placed in control of national or global affairs, it would tend to "prioritize" certain things or persons. Those at the "bottom of the list" could find themselves being targeted for elimination by the AI program, much like a "computer virus" in the "system".

Dave F.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:33 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston2021
Another true classic, although not on the AI topic, is the ORIGINAL Andromeda Strain, basically the Wuhan Institute of Virology from space.

The Andromeda Strain is an awesome movie. First saw it as a kid at the drive-in!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-03-2023, 07:23 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Fully-autonomous "AI" must NEVER be produced or deployed . . . Why ?

"AI" has no "emotions" . . . It has no pity, no sympathy, no empathy, no compassion, no love, no hate, no respect, no honor, no loyalty.

If an "Autonomous AI" system were placed in control of national or global affairs, it would tend to "prioritize" certain things or persons. Those at the "bottom of the list" could find themselves being targeted for elimination by the AI program, much like a "computer virus" in the "system".

Dave F.
Also, since AI uses a human-created knowledge base, it is subject to the BIAS of that knowledge base.

On your empathy point, Asimov's three laws of robotics would work, but then AI couldn't be used in WEAPONS which is one of the first places it WILL be used.

More on the lack of empathy thing: that's just one of the reasons "Colossus: The Forbin Project" is so brilliant AND so little known. People most likely didn't like the ending. You can't even find a US Region Blu-ray of it on Amazon, only Region 2, just a US Region DVD and it's not even offered as a pay for play in Prime Video.