Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2023, 06:34 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Would it be too much to ask you to take closeup photos of your Semroc motors? I've never seen any.

fYI, you can write the the USPS Postmaster General and get permission to ship via USPS Ground. Several people have done this recently.
Don't know how long it would take, but it's an option you might want to consider.

Is it that easy. I read that you would need MSRP for each motor, etc. Some are so old that there are probably not any in existence. How long does the authorization usually take?
Old 03-28-2023, 08:59 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRanger
Is it that easy. I read that you would need MSRP for each motor, etc. Some are so old that there are probably not any in existence. How long does the authorization usually take?

The linked catalog has pricing for each "propulsion module", pages 38-39.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:30 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Wow this is great to see what Semroc carried and their prices in 1970. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:43 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Here are some more pics of the Semroc motors. I just noticed that they have Carls Aden, NC address. According to my friend Pete, this is where Carl lived before he moved to Knightdale, NC. All but 2 of these have dates on them, and those 2 have faded off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc 1 small.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  635.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc 10 small.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  597.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc 9 small.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  651.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc 8 small.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  573.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc 7 small.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  547.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc 6 small.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  657.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc 5 small.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  634.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc 4 small.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  504.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc 3 small.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  491.0 KB  
Old 03-28-2023, 04:18 PM
Retired Missile Technician

OldRanger; I just sent you a PM.

THANK YOU for posting these pictures. I have one A8-3 left from the 3 pack that I bought after seeing the SEMROC ad. Model Rocketry magazine, IIRC. I also bought their catalog.
I also have a surviving Model Rocketry Industry B3-3. The one I flew got the model high enough to clear the rod and that was it. Also an example of a C6-5 motor that was an example of a kit to make your own motors. All sorts of short lived companies.
SEMROCs re-establishment was a wonderful thing as they offered so many clones of past kits. I have more of them then I can build.

Chas
Old 03-28-2023, 04:54 PM
Craftsman

One set of motors in the catalog particularly caught my eye, and I wonder if any of you (old) Sermoc flyers have used it. It is the D (and 1/2D) power series. I did not notice any dimensions listed, but they look to be elongated 18mm. An interesting idea that would allow one to fly on D down to A easily with a simple spacer, as long as this was contemplated before gluing in a thrust ring. The D series looks like it was "coming soon" in the catalog, so did it in fact arrive before the company closed up shop?
Old 03-28-2023, 05:31 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRanger

I'm not sure. In your letter you might ask what information they require. Like labeling.

It wouldn't hurt to try, and then you can post here about the process that others could follow.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:34 PM
rocket dinosaur

Talking

It only took me 54 years to see actual photos of actual Semroc motors.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:38 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Does anyone know how long these semroc motors were produced. My friend tells me that Carl was producing them in a barn on his property in Aden. The barn was destroyed by a tornado and Carl quit the motor business. He started making plans to reproduce these motors again in Knightdale right before he passed.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:39 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Does anybody know what Carl's relationship with Vern Estes back in 69-70. Did Carl or Vern ever mention anything about this?
At that time Estes was more or less at their peak, and had been for a few years.

I guess what I'm asking is what was Carl's background with black powder motors. Carl obviously had access to Vern's model rocket motor patent, plus the early Estes catalogs more or less showed exactly what the internals looked like, so it wouldn't have taken much to determine the correct parameters.

Also, did Carl ever mention how he made his motors? Or how many he made?

I wonder if his wife Sheryl is still alive and might know some of this?

Anybody know?

EDIT

I found out that Semroc was originally founded in 1967 while Carl was in College. It was re-incorprated in December 1969. Semroc was defunct by early 1971. So it appears the 1st incarnation of Semroc lasted a little over a year.

EDIT2

The first mention I can find of Semroc in the old Model Rocketry magazine is the January 1969 issues, where they talk about the Hydra VII and Sigma model rockets from SEMROC.

I finally located my Launch Magazine collection, as I knew there was an interview with Carl there.

In it , Carl states that SEMROC was originally conceived in December 1967. SEMROC stood for SouthEastern Model ROCket supply, Inc.

I did not know that till now.

In April 1968, their 1st ad appeared in Popular Science which is attached.

Carl states that they were originally going to use re-branded Estes motors, but on June 6, 1968 he was informed that Estes just didn't have the capacity to supply him with motors.

So plan B was that Carl had his dad make the equivalent of a Mabel: Carl states that it took almost a year to build their motor-making machine. So that brings us up to late Spring 1969 approximately.

So Semroc motors were made from approximately late spring 1969 to around January 1971.

Carl wasn't even 21 years old when he started SEMROC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SEMROC Ad April 1968 PopSci.png
Views: 32
Size:  7.1 KB  

Last edited by shockwaveriderz : 03-29-2023 at 02:21 PM.