Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2022, 06:07 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Success . . . I found the original image !

One additional note, the widely-seen "Silverleaf" ( R.S. Barker ) drawing of the DELTA III is drawn with GEM-40 boosters, BUT the DELTA III uses GEM-46 boosters ( "Silverleaf" drawing below, for reference )

Dave F.

My. This thread has generated such vitriol. Looking at the actual Delta III photo, here's a rundown of the umbilicals, top to bottom. The top, yellow duct is the Environmental Conditioning System (ECS) duct. It takes conditioned (temperature, humidity, cleanliness) air to the spacecraft. Satellites hate dirtly, moist, salty air. The next big umbilical is the electrical umbilical. Then you have the second stage fill and drain lines (plus one more electrical line to that location). The second big yellow duct is the ECS duct into the interstage. It's providing conditioned air, mainly for the avionics which are positioned at the aft end of the second stage. The one at the very bottom, running to the top of the booster, appears to be electrical too, but I'm not familiar enough with Delta III to be certain.

That's pretty much what you're seeing, plus the myriad of lanyards used to retract the umbilicals. Too bad the cruddy photoshop of Starliner on top caused confusion, even anger.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
My. This thread has generated such vitriol. Looking at the actual Delta III photo, here's a rundown of the umbilicals, top to bottom. The top, yellow duct is the Environmental Conditioning System (ECS) duct. It takes conditioned (temperature, humidity, cleanliness) air to the spacecraft. Satellites hate dirtly, moist, salty air. The next big umbilical is the electrical umbilical. Then you have the second stage fill and drain lines (plus one more electrical line to that location). The second big yellow duct is the ECS duct into the interstage. It's providing conditioned air, mainly for the avionics which are positioned at the aft end of the second stage. The one at the very bottom, running to the top of the booster, appears to be electrical too, but I'm not familiar enough with Delta III to be certain.

That's pretty much what you're seeing, plus the myriad of lanyards used to retract the umbilicals. Too bad the cruddy photoshop of Starliner on top caused confusion, even anger.

Since I am unfamiliar with the configuration for the ORION 3 mission, I was not immediately suspecting an altered image.

After dealing with the "BS" and Ad Hominem attacks ( no know reason for his "antipathy" towards me, since he has fewer than 50 post on YORF, in 13 years ), I was able to contact the person that had the original image, in unaltered form.

Frankly, I don't go "looking for trouble" BUT, if anyone starts the kind of childish behavior exhibited here, I will defend myself. This is not the TRF forum ( Thank God ) and Scott has a fantastic forum.

Confusion can be common, particularly when dealing with a hard to find prototype ( The "ORION 3" mission in the case ), but "anger" and Ad Hominem attacks have no place on this, or any other forum.

As I said, previously, my knowledge of DELTA III is, largely, based on the "Inaugural Launch" vehicle, for which a good supply of data is available.

The images below show the differences in the Frustum attachment between the GEM-40 and GEM 46, due to the difference in diameter . . . The single image, from my set of blueprints, shows the GEM-46 in more detail.

Thank you for your help, sir !

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LOGO_A.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  681.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Image-02.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  211.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  GEM46-6_ADJ.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  939.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  OVERALL.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  173.0 KB  

Last edited by Ez2cDave : 11-10-2022 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:50 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Also, through that communication, I was put in contact with an archivist at ULA, who supplied me with vector artwork for all of the Payload Fairing logo's. It clearly shows the markings in crisp detail, which would make duplication a "snap" . . . ( No, you're not getting those files, ever ) . . . I will not be supplying them to anyone else, either, as they might ask for them on your behalf.

Dave F.

You are now free to release the Payload Fairing logo's to everyone.

I switched to Galaxy 10 mission and have already applied decals. Progress of decaled and clear coated Delta III - Galaxy 10 model is attached, as proof that i no longer have any personal use for the Delta III - Orion decals.

I also posted the Delta III - Galaxy 10 SVG file to rocketryforum. With my Galaxy 10 details, and your Orion details, 2 of the 3 Delta III missions will be available to everyone.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_8173.JPG
Views: 21
Size:  1.70 MB  
Old 04-12-2023, 05:00 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
Bob, are those two rockets in your picture launch able model rockets?

They will be launched once, then retired. Still need to attach launch lug, nose weight, and clear acrylic fins. After i do that, will launch, knock-free/remove the clear acrylic fins, then put on permanent display with 15ish other rockets of similar scale i have built/and launched.

I have read some people have had success launching similar Delta IIs without any fins. Might be able to do same with Delta III.

It will probably be a while before i launch, as i'm also working on a Delta IV Heavy. Once the heavy is in displayable shape, i will add the launch components, and launch all three.

Bob

Last edited by bguff : 04-12-2023 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguff
Ohh Brotherrrrrrr.
Vitriol may be too nice of a description.

Bob

Actions have consequences, Bob . . .

Dave F.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:19 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

FWIW, the attached quote is incorrectly attributed to me. seems likely from a post on this thread written by d********6660 5 months ago, and then that post was deleted within last 5 days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Capture3.JPG
Views: 13
Size:  53.4 KB  
Old 04-16-2023, 09:20 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

speaking of vitriol, following attached is one poster's initial post after a 5 month lapse on this thread. Has since been deleted by poster or moderator, but not before it was pushed to my email.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Capture5.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  115.0 KB  
Old 04-16-2023, 09:21 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

sounds like Dave does not have the interstage logos
Old 04-16-2023, 09:22 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

anyone looking for Delta III Orion 3 images can find a thread on the rocketryforum that gets about 95% of the way. Really only two/thirds of the non-english characters need to be figured out. worst case scenario someone can purchase the Real Space Models kit to find out what the remaining artwork should be.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:23 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

i see no point in engaging this thread any further. wish you well.