Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2022, 01:45 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The golden "Kiss My Ring" portal he probably requested may have been a bit more problematic and costly....

Earl

Probably no more expensive than Obama's relaxation room, complete with gold plated hookah and climate controlled hash storage locker.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:21 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Probably no more expensive than Obama's relaxation room, complete with gold plated hookah and climate controlled hash storage locker.

I figure Obama's had a pretty good supply of gold-rimmed mirrors to 'check his look' by, though I suspect Trump had to have a few of those too to make sure his comb-over/wrap-around coiffure was still holdin' its shape.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-05-2022, 09:18 PM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Agree with tbzep above.
If they did it effectively 50 years ago, it's ABSURD they can't now.

Environmental laws probably removed key ingredients: Did they use Asbestos back then?

Mike
Old 11-06-2022, 05:31 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl

I figure Obama's had a pretty good supply of gold-rimmed mirrors to 'check his look' by, though I suspect Trump had to have a few of those too to make sure his comb-over/wrap-around coiffure was still holdin' its shape.

Earl

At least with Trump, I didn't have to choose between buying rocket motors or heating my home this winter
Old 11-15-2022, 11:39 AM
Master Modeler

The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 11-15-2022, 12:01 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

AsBESTos is still LEGAL.
Anything with "BEST" as its root-word can't be all bad. Just like SmoKING.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-16-2022, 10:56 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Boeing built lunar orbiters and Mariner 10 in the 60's, with thrusters. Over 50 years later they can't keep a thruster valve from leaking. Fer cryin out loud, they built the S-1C! SMH

From what I read, their thruster valves used some new alloy "magic metal" that wonder of wonders, doesn't do well in exposure to salt air... good thing it would never see much of that lauching from--- oh wait... yeah... it's FLORIDA... Hot humid salt air is about all they ever get.

About as bright as constructing a nuclear plant in the world's most earthquake and tsunami prone country, and putting it right off the beach, and putting the diesel backup generators in the BASEMENT where they couldn't POSSIBLE *EVER* be flooded and swamped and then incapable of starting or running to generate the essential electrical power to run the coolant pumps after a reactor scram, in order to get rid of decay heat and thus keep the tripped reactor from melting down... Nah, who builds to worst-case conditions, anyway??

It's the same sort of stupidity I see ALL THE TIME in modern construction and engineering... and it drives me nuts. Why I prefer the old stuff anymore... new stuff is overpriced junk with p!ss poor to no forethought put into it...

Later! OL J R
Old 11-16-2022, 11:08 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Agree with tbzep above.
If they did it effectively 50 years ago, it's ABSURD they can't now.

When I toured NASA in 2013 on the special tour that went out to the VAB and onto the base, to the pads, everything-- our tour guide was a retired NASA engineer, working as a tour guide to supplement his retirement income and have something to do. We got onto the subject of SLS (yeah it was already having problems and questionable way back then) and he was telling me how he'd been asked by the higher ups to take some SLS engineers out to the Saturn V building one day when they were closed, and show them how the umbilical separation system worked between the Apollo Command Module and Service Module. Turned out he had worked on that system as a kid fresh out of college back in the day, and helped come up with it.

The new engineers working on SLS had come up with a bunch of complicated electrical disconnects and automatic air and fluid hose disconnects, but it wasn't passing muster because of the odds of it not working 100% correctly 100% of the time... it had to be FOOLPROOF and work with absolute reliability, and they were having all kinds of problems and couldn't solve them. The same thing had vexed them in the 60's but then they "got smart" and came up with the "KISS" principle solution... what they did was, the thick bundles of wires and hoses transferring readouts and commands between the spacecraft and SM, hoses transferring oxygen and water, etc into the CM from the SM, all were passed through a metal frame with a guillotine-like blade inside a shield on one side. At the appropriate time, when the spacecraft separated from the service module, when the switch was thrown it automatically set a course of actions in motion-- first valves on both sides of the connection snapped shut, closing off the water and fluids/gases moving through the hoses between the modules. At the same time, electrical contact breakers tripped, opening all the circuits between the two modules on both sides, causing the wires to go "dead". Then all this set off a pair of detonators, two for redundancy, which set off a small explosive charge, which working against a piston on the back side of the guillotine blade, instantly blew the blade through the gap the hoses and wires were routed through, and into it's anvil/holder on the other side, effectively chopping all the lines and wires in half instantly, cleanly separating the two spacecraft. The nubs of wiring/hoses protruding from the side of the CM burned off during reentry, as the blade and severed hoses/wires retracted with the spring-loaded hood over all the connections between the two spacecraft, and burned up with the Service Module.

He took this group of engineers out to the Saturn V building and they got up on a ladder and carefully examined and measured all this, as he explained how it worked and how they came to their conclusion that this was the best solution-- and it worked perfectly every time.

Lots of times, the old ways are still the best ways!!! OL J R
Old 11-16-2022, 11:20 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
Environmental laws probably removed key ingredients: Did they use Asbestos back then?

Mike

That DID contribute to the Challenger disaster... they had to change the putty that sealed the the adjoining propellant surfaces of the adjoining booster segments. The old putty had used a putty base with chopped up asbestos fibers in it to give it "body"... when the SRB's fired up, the pressure jumps to 750 PSI in like 40 milliseconds IIRC, and the putty was blown outward toward the O-ring sealing area. This sudden puff of air would "blow" the O-rings into place and create the seal. If the O-ring seated, the putty just crammed up against the wall all the way around and stopped, until it was blown/burned out as the propellant grain neared burnout near the casing wall. If the O-ring was slow to seat/seal, the putty would get blown into gap since there was no sealed off gases to stop it, and 750 PSI burning propellant gases pushing it, it would blow into the gap and either seal the ring in or pack it with asbestos fibers.

Then the anti-asbestos laws kicked in, and they couldn't put asbestos in the putty anymore-- had to get an entirely new asbestos free version, and it wasn't as good. That's when they started seeing more burned O-rings. Of course if the seal didn't form, then white-hot combustion gases with 750 PSI pushing them through the gap would totally incinerate the rubber O-ring. The asbestos-free putty just flat wasn't as good at sealing off-- it would cook and burn in the heat and create a "crud" seal, but the asbestos didn't burn and was much more effective at holding that stuff in the gap and sealing it off, preventing the hot gases from getting to the O-rings.

The rest is history... OL J R
Old 11-16-2022, 11:21 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRIJoe
At least with Trump, I didn't have to choose between buying rocket motors or heating my home this winter

True this...
IF you can even get the gas or oil or electricity to heat your home... you might not even have a choice if you can't get it, you can't get it...

Later, OL J R