Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2022, 04:22 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I built a large (for me) mid-power missile. But I haven't had much in the way of responses to other projects I posted about previously, so I'd stopped bothering to post them.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-31-2022, 04:33 PM
Apollo Nut

Nice looking finish.

Is it a scale model of an existing missile? What’s the diameter?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-31-2022, 04:33 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Well, here's the flight data: https://flightsketch.com/flights/3725/ At least it got the full 3 second delay. 169 feet is all it did. I figured the "800 feet" one the box was laughable. Based on what I saw today, I expect it'll struggle to get to 400 feet on a D12-5.

It actually went perfectly straight up (I had it canted away from the wind just a touch and with the glider on the downwind side) and backslid a bit before ejection/glider release. The glider did a half circle and pointed itself into the wind and just sort of sank slowly down without penetrating the wind much (~5-7 mph wind). I may put just a touch more clay in the nose of the glider before flying it again in Pasco. It will certainly get a D12-5 there.

I've never had an original OT, so can't really say. I've seen a few fly, but didn't know what they had in them for power.

Wow, its apparently pretty draggy, so I clearly overestimated performance. Apogee at 169 feet could be a bit scary with a late release of the orbiter.

My favorite flight of my old OT was at a NAR club (CRASH) launch at Bear Creek State Park in the Denver area. The club hosted a lot of Scout launches in Denver. (Sadly they were booted out of the park about a year ago, after decades of flying there withno issues.)
My flight was at the end of a Scout launch day, and most were still there. I used a B6-4, and the orbiter released from the transporter just west of the pads. Rather than circle, like it normally does, it dropped to about 25 feet and then glided arrow-straight across the crowd, dropping a bit, so it seemed like anyone could jump up and catch it if they tried. It landed in soft tall grass just east of the crowd. Lots of “oohs” and “aahs” from everyone. It has never glided like that again. Always circles the field.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-31-2022, 06:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Wow, its apparently pretty draggy, so I clearly overestimated performance. Apogee at 169 feet could be a bit scary with a late release of the orbiter.

It is kinda heavy, too. Estes' web site says 5.4 ounces. Mine was right on 5.7 ounces after paint (and before a coat of Future...but it adds almost no weight).

D12 flight data this coming weekend. I just finished packing the model box for Sod Blaster IV and it's in there.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-31-2022, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I just finished a Super Orbital Transport (and put a test flight on a C11-3 on it this afternoon). I also just finished an Apogee Research Express and retrofit a Lexan vertical fin to my Dynasorrocketry Klingon Battle Cruiser. Both were also test flown this afternoon and will be going with me to Sod Blaster IV in Pasco, WA over Labor Day weekend.

NONE of which are SCALE models . . . Just "model rockets".

Dave F.
Old 08-31-2022, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Well, here's the flight data: https://flightsketch.com/flights/3725/ At least it got the full 3 second delay. 169 feet is all it did. I figured the "800 feet" one the box was laughable. Based on what I saw today, I expect it'll struggle to get to 400 feet on a D12-5.

It actually went perfectly straight up (I had it canted away from the wind just a touch and with the glider on the downwind side) and backslid a bit before ejection/glider release. The glider did a half circle and pointed itself into the wind and just sort of sank slowly down without penetrating the wind much (~5-7 mph wind). I may put just a touch more clay in the nose of the glider before flying it again in Pasco. It will certainly get a D12-5 there.

I've never had an original OT, so can't really say. I've seen a few fly, but didn't know what they had in them for power.

You do know that this is the Scale forum, right ?

Dave F.
Old 08-31-2022, 07:46 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Nice looking finish.

Is it a scale model of an existing missile? What’s the diameter?

Earl

Its 3" in diameter. I've flown it on F44-4s, and F67-6 so far. Can handle up to an G-80 (29mm motor mount), and as I'm not level 1 certified thats as far as I can go. Plenty high enough for my semi-local fields ( I tend to not go above 1000 feet at those sites).

I actually just modified an Rocksim file for an Estes QCC Explorer, making significant changes. It does strongly resemble an Standard RIM-67 anti-aircraft missile. Purely coincidental. I did extend the front strakes, added extensions to the middle/rear strake assemblies, and the fins are a tad different.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:02 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Well,

I WAS talking about scale rockets and the Scale Forum which has been mostly talk and not much building. Count how many builds are on the first three pages of the Scale thread versus how many are "data" threads.

But all of these posted rocket pictures are beautiful and should be posted. Scale or sport, seeing the great job people do is inspiring. If Eagle3 wants to move this thread to the Project thread, that's fine too.

Keep posting. I want to see what's being built right now. It beats watching the news.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 08-31-2022, 10:31 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S
Its 3" in diameter. I've flown it on F44-4s, and F67-6 so far. Can handle up to an G-80 (29mm motor mount), and as I'm not level 1 certified thats as far as I can go. Plenty high enough for my semi-local fields ( I tend to not go above 1000 feet at those sites).

I actually just modified an Rocksim file for an Estes QCC Explorer, making significant changes. It does strongly resemble an Standard RIM-67 anti-aircraft missile. Purely coincidental. I did extend the front strakes, added extensions to the middle/rear strake assemblies, and the fins are a tad different.

I imagine that’d scoot pretty good on the F67! The G80 would be a hoot for sure. That is a good motor. I used to fly a fair number of the Vulcan G80s. Both it and the Aerotech G80s are great.

I’m not super-well versed on the various defense-related missiles, but it looks like a good ‘spin’ on some of those designs. But, it is YOUR design and that is what makes it fun!

Good flying!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 08-31-2022, 10:34 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Well,

I WAS talking about scale rockets and the Scale Forum which has been mostly talk and not much building. Count how many builds are on the first three pages of the Scale thread versus how many are "data" threads.

But all of these posted rocket pictures are beautiful and should be posted. Scale or sport, seeing the great job people do is inspiring. If Eagle3 wants to move this thread to the Project thread, that's fine too.

Keep posting. I want to see what's being built right now. It beats watching the news.

Ok, for scale I started (just tonight) on a vintage Centuri Saturn V build. I have built a couple of them in decades past, but they are retired. I wanted to have a vintage Centuri Saturn V that I could once again fly.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Saturn V_9268.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  1.61 MB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Last edited by Earl : 08-31-2022 at 11:27 PM.