Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2022, 11:06 AM
Apollo Nut

I got the Encyclog catalog too, must have been sometime in '78. It came in just a big, flat, padded, paper mailer 'pouch'. I must have seen an ad for it in the NAR magazine Model Rocketeer at the time, as I had joined in June of '78.

I remember being somewhat confused by ALL the stuff that was in the multiple sections of the catalog. I did not know anything about AVI at the time and thought the entire thing was going to be rockets and it wasn't.

I have not come back across my copy in many years, so I do not know if I still have it.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-12-2022, 01:35 PM
BP Mafia

I'm pretty sure Wolf Kiparski has a copy. He said he was going to scan it a few years back, but that was the last I heard.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-12-2022, 03:30 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I'm pretty sure Wolf Kiparski has a copy. He said he was going to scan it a few years back, but that was the last I heard.

If it's a daunting task, maybe he could take it to Staples. We could all chip in a few bucks to preserve this stuff. I know I would.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:14 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
If it's a daunting task, maybe he could take it to Staples. We could all chip in a few bucks to preserve this stuff. I know I would.

I think we were talking about him taking cell phone pics of it.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-12-2022, 10:48 PM
Craftsman

Default AVI Galactic Chronicle vol. 1, no. 1 - Sept. 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I think we were talking about him taking cell phone pics of it.

In 1973, AVI - Genesis Corp. started a club called the Galactic Fraternity and began printing (in addition to their other large print catalogs/encyclogs) a large format newsletter called the Galactic Chronicle in September 1973, for those who subscribed. The Galactic Chronicle was on large sheets of yellow paper instead of newsprint.

Attached here is the September 1973 premier issue of the Galactic Chronicle, vol. 1, no. 1, for your examination. I've used my cell phone to grab pics of it as an experiment to see how well it will do. There is actually one of these up for sale on eBay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2742112012...353.m2763.l2649
It is not my listing, but I have purchased from this seller before, several times in the past. He has always been reliable.

AVI seemed to have several ambitious projects they were attempting. AVI had various publications, a new premier AVI Model Rocketry Catalog, various design and workmanship contests, model rocket motor production, marketing of AVI, MPC, MRI, as well as other companies' model rockets. It seems they were attempting much more than they could handle and it eventually caused their demise.

On page 4 of the Sept. 1973 Galactic Chronicle, AVI claimed to be working on a highly detailed 1/200 scale plastic Space Shuttle model with tower. They even had plans to do 1/200 scale models of the Saturn V and Saturn 1b. It doesn't appear that any of these models from AVI came to fruition.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Galactic_Chronicle_vol_1_no_1_Sept_1973_p1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  1.41 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Galactic_Chronicle_vol_1_no_1_Sept_1973_p2.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  1.35 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Galactic_Chronicle_vol_1_no_1_Sept_1973_p3.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  1.24 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Galactic_Chronicle_vol_1_no_1_Sept_1973_p4.jpg
Size:  1.18 MB  

Last edited by Faithwalker : 01-12-2022 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:04 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Yeah, those Scale AVI proposals turned into Pure Vaporware.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-13-2022, 10:17 AM
Master Modeler

I remember getting at least one of those "galactic chronicles."

Another piece of AVI vaporware: Kits based on designs for alien space ships. They had write-ups for the alien species.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 01-13-2022, 07:02 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I remember getting at least one of those "galactic chronicles."

Another piece of AVI vaporware: Kits based on designs for alien space ships. They had write-ups for the alien species.

Hi Stefanj,

You're right! I found the Extraterrestrial alien descriptions in the Jan. 1974 issue of the AVI Galactic Chronicle vol. 2, no. 1, page 1. The AVI UFO model rocket proposals were found in the AVI Astroport 1975 newsprint Aerospace Products for Research, Education, Recreation edition. Both are shown below.

In addition, I found some of the AVI and Galactic Fraternity Design Contests articles like what you won back in the day. Do you recall which of the Design Contests you won and how much was the prize?

edit: Sorry, the order of the attachments appear differently from the order I designated and I'm not sure how to rearrange them. The photo that appears first at the far left is the continuation of the adjacent photo for the AVI Galactic Fraternity (GF) Contest.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  AVI_Design_and_Photo_Contests.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  947.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  AVI_Galactic_Chronicle_SEP_1973_Design_Contest_part_2.jpg
Size:  225.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  AVI_Galactic_Chronicle_SEP_1973_Design_Contest_part_1.jpg
Size:  650.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  AVI_Astroport_UFO_model_rocket_proposals_1975.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  1.17 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Galactic_Chronicle_vol_2_no_1_Jan_1974_p1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  1.26 MB  

Last edited by Faithwalker : 01-14-2022 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:22 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Do you recall which of the Design Contests you won and how much was the prize?

I don't recall the contest name, but I won $50 for a design called the "Congreve."

I bought a ****-ton of stuff with that credit! MPC, MRI kits, a Pilgrim Observer, motors.

I made the mistake of ordering some "vaporware," and had $15 left over. The last order I made never materialized.

I was really busy in high school by then and just gave up.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 01-17-2022, 12:33 AM
Craftsman

Default Myron "Myke" Bergenske auto-biographical partial history

Myron "Myke" Bergenske was an interesting individual. He was quite passionate about making his mark upon the world, especially when it came to rocketry. His caption on the AVI Astroport Astrogram 1978 cover shown in post #18 made me wonder what he meant when he said, "In Space since 1948." Myron Bergenske provided some clues as to what he meant in a partial auto-biography that he wrote about himself and about where he saw the world going in his 1976 AVI Astroport Catalog first edition on page 21 that I found. The article is simply entitled, "Some History by M.D. Bergenske." The article is attached below for your reading pleasure.

May Myke Bergenske rest in peace. He passed away at the age of 80 in Mineral Point, Wisconsin, on December 29, 2017. See obituary links:
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/n...y?pid=187691404

http://www.tributes.com/obituary/sh...enske-105657783

Myke did end up having quite a significant impact on the hobby of Model Rocketry.

Several years ago, Myke sold some of his personal model rocketry items on eBay. I happened to purchase an original Centuri Gabriel model rocket kit #5333 from him and I still have it to this day.

I received an opportunity to speak with Myke Bergenske once after I happened to win that eBay bid purchase from him about eight years ago. I remember speaking to Myke on the phone and he told me that he had at least 30 or more "coffin" sized boxes filled with vintage model rocketry items. I expected to see a large sell off of his items, but, surprisingly, I don't recall seeing any other of his items up for sale after that. I wish that I had thought to ask him several questions about how he started the MRI and AVI companies and how he was able to obtain so much of the MPC inventory, but unfortunately, I didn't, and then I lost touch with him.

Do any of you have any memories of Myke Bergenske?

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  AVI_Astroport_Astrogram_1978.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  849.8 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Myron_Bergenske_history_AVI_Astroport_Catalog_1976_1st_ed_p21.pdf (332.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Faithwalker : 01-17-2022 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Repaired obituary links.