Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2021, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
The only reason the internats haven't been here for the last 30 years is that no one here was willing to put forth the immense effort required to prepare a bid or actually run such a huge event. Fortunately, our Eastern European friends consider it a real sign of prestige to host this event and have kept it alive for the last 30 years.

Dang . . . Maybe we should let THEM run the NAR, to bring back widespread Competition !

Dave F.

Last edited by Ez2cDave : 05-11-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:26 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
...why have so few of the internats been held in the US of A? Is it because ‘they’ won’t let them be held here, OR is more because we have so infrequently put in a bid TO host them?l

I have been involved with the NAR FAI program for just over two decades at this point, and this is the only time during my tenure with the group that we have submitted a bid. So, we are largely responsible for the infrequency of these events being held in the US.

As for how often we (or any country) should be the host, consider this: there are 22ish countries that regularly participate in FAI space modeling, and the World Champs are held every two years. If every participating country hosted once, it would take 44 years to cycle through all of the nations. So, three times in 51 years of World Championships is ahead of the curve.

James
Old 05-11-2021, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
I have been involved with the NAR FAI program for just over two decades at this point, and this is the only time during my tenure with the group that we have submitted a bid. So, we are largely responsible for the infrequency of these events being held in the US.

James

James,

I'm curious . . .

What is the typical "cash outlay" for a Team USA Member ( per person ) to travel to and compete in a typical WSMC, overseas ?'

Dave F.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:48 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
What is the typical "cash outlay" for a Team USA Member ( per person ) to travel to and compete in a typical WSMC, overseas ?'

Having done this a few times (ok, a lot), I would estimate that the typical World Champs entry, travel, and team fees are in the neighborhood of $3-4K per team member.

That figure will come down considerably for US team members during the 2023 Championships as there will be no overseas travel expenditures.

James

Last edited by rocket.aero : 05-12-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Having done this a few times (ok, a lot), I would estimate that the typical World Champs entry, travel, and team fees are in the neighborhood of $3-4K per team member.

That figure will come down considerably for US team members during the 2023 CHampionships as there will be no overseas travel expenditures.

James

Thanks . . . That's about what I "guesstimated" ( $ 4000 - $5000 ) . . . Sounds like enough of a "motivator" to keep inviting them to the USA !

Dave F.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:33 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

Has it ever been in eastern Asia? Japan or China?
Old 05-12-2021, 07:08 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:

As for how often we (or any country) should be the host, consider this: there are 22ish countries that regularly participate in FAI space modeling, and the World Champs are held every two years. If every participating country hosted once, it would take 44 years to cycle through all of the nations. So, three times in 51 years of World Championships is ahead of the curve.

James

Ah, math! That’s the definitive response to any rocketry question - one where the data answers the question - even with a question as much about the human element as not, always look at the data 😊

I’m not a competition guy but I find it fascinating and I’m happy the US is hosting this round in 2023 - well done to the folks who made this happen!
Old 05-14-2021, 11:42 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
Has it ever been in eastern Asia? Japan or China?

The FAI World Championships have never been held in Japan or China. They have been held in central Asia, though, as the 2006 Championships were held in Baikonur, Kazakhstan.

James
Old 05-14-2021, 12:44 PM
Craftsman

Do we know **where** in the Austin area this event might take place?

Does the Austin club have an existing field that is large enough to handle a contest like this?
Old 05-14-2021, 01:07 PM
7/21/61

The 2023 WSMC will be held on the grounds of Firefly Aerospace's test center just outside Cedar Park, Texas. It is the same field where the March 2019 FIRE international contest was held.

This event is not being hosted by a local NAR group. It is being organized by NAR/FAI participants and, hopefully, many of you. This is a huge event hosting up to 35 foreign teams and lasting 7 days. We will need many, many volunteers.