Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2021, 04:32 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

When Estes released the 40th Anniversary Saturn V kit - it had a "Made in America" sticker on it. At NARAM 52 in Pueblo, Estes was there, and selling 'NARAM Limited Edition' copies of the kit (I picked one up, got it autographed by Vern Estes and Mike Dorffler - who would sadly pass a few weeks later). It was pretty obvious that the Estes people were very proud of that "Made in America" sticker. So even then their hearts were in the right place.

I visited with John Boren in Colorado shortly after Hobbico declared bankruptcy. While he was certainly concerned with the uncertainty associated with the bankruptcy (this was well before the news that the Langfords were interested in Estes), it was clear that he wasn't going to miss Hobbico. Hobbico had gotten rid of several people, and the restrictions on what John could design were stifling.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:07 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Good Riddance to Hobbico too then....

Hopefully we will see some new high-thrust B and C motors.
I think with present ownership we have the best chance of that since the Damon era.
Getting a B8-0 or B14-0 back would be great.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-04-2021, 08:30 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
The obvious solution to this is to quit making products in China. MOVE all your production facilities back here to the US and employ American Citizens instead of Chinese Communists. Folks,this isn't rocket science. Yes kits and such might cost more if you employ Americans versus using Chinese slave labor, but you're benefiting your economy and government and not a government that wants to see you dead. It amazes me how "WOKE" American companies are here when it comes to equality or whatever topic it is for that day, but here you have a country doing really bad things to it's Muslim citizens, and the WOKE American companies just keep on doing business with the CCP. Estes would get a big A+ from me if they closed their "sister" communist Chinese facility and built a warehouse here in the US and employed Americans at good wages.

Amen brother.

The Chinese are worse than the Nazis in how many people they have exterminated, tortured, and abused, but people give them a pass.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:04 AM

Not everyone gives them a pass.
This GoBULLization of world economies is a FRAKKIN' disaster.
I'm for FAIR Trade, but 100% against Free trade. Tariff all imported goods to the point of what they would cost to produce here with a "living wage".

Old 04-04-2021, 12:11 PM
rocket dinosaur

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'm for FAIR Trade, but 100% against Free trade. Tariff all imported goods to the point of what they would cost to produce here with a "living wage".

Our Government, our corporations, our elites and our media ALL give them a pass. For the past 35 years . And together they all try to make we the people give them a pass too. Then they unleash asymmetrical warfare on us: ship fentanyl to the Mexico NArco state that kills hundreds of thousands of people and then unleash the COVID-19 virus on us killing eventually millions.... And our Government, our corporations, our elites and our media, tell you to never mind, you're racist if you want all Chinese students and Confucious centers shut down and sent by home.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:12 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Our Government, our corporations, our elites and our media ALL give them a pass. For the past 35 years . And together they all try to make we the people give them a pass too. Then they unleash asymmetrical warfare on us: ship fentanyl to the Mexico NArco state that kills hundreds of thousands of people and then unleash the COVID-19 virus on us killing eventually millions.... And our Government, our corporations, our elites and our media, tell you to never mind, you're racist if you want all Chinese students and Confucious centers shut down and sent by home.

What?????
Old 04-04-2021, 06:22 PM

What he said is mostly true.
China has gotten a free pass for far too long.
They should be PERPETUALLY in debt and gratitude to the USA for saving their lousy butts from Japan in WWII.
I am firmly against the UN stand on spoils of war since WWII.
If we have to come in and kick some Dirtbagistan"s butt, we should CONQUER and SUBJUGATE instead of liberating citizens that have proven unable to self-govern.
Afghanistan and Iraq should be US foreign posessions. FOREVER.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:58 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:

Globalization and trade have been the engine that boosted economic growth and American prosperity for the last few decades.

Quote:

FAIR is my 2nd most-favorite 4-letter word that starts with an "F" - it has no practical meaning, and gets regularly abused by everyone on far-left and far-right.
Same applies to "living wage". Living where? Downtown Manhattan? Alabama trailer park?

Free trade, on the other hand, is well defined.
As are the benefits of free trade to the US:
https://www.mercatus.org/system/fil...e_EP_110513.pdf

Cheers!
a
Old 06-21-2021, 01:27 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Yeah, FAIR trade means different things to different people. Most fair trade is UNFAIR to one of the parties involved.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:16 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Yeah, FAIR trade means different things to different people.

More like absolutely nothing at all, which is why its in favor with politicians and snake oil salesman.

As I tell my elementary-grade kids - FAIR/fare is for horses. If you think I'm horse, keep talking to me about "fares". Otherwise, say what you mean without fluff words (aka B.S.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Most fair trade is UNFAIR to one of the parties involved.

Unless you enter into a transaction under duress, any trade produces positive outcome for both parties. Otherwise, one of the parties would have disengaged from the transaction.
Thus, trading makes both parties better off. By definition.

Imposing taxes (aka tariffs) on the transaction benefits no-one (in the long term), other than the tax authority. In the long term, tariffs have two effects:
1). Encourage lobbying by powerful industries seeking protection, and direct bribes (campaign contributions) to the politicians who promote tariffs.
2). Distort the economy, reducing productivity and overall competitiveness.

More for those who care to learn:
https://www.cato.org/blog/tariffs-a...fs-are-just-bad
https://www.economist.com/the-econo...s-are-bad-taxes