Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2021, 05:11 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse Eh!
Amen to that! I think I had too much video-induced motion sickness to be able to enjoy the flight, let alone keep track of the location of that Mustang Mach-E. The launch sequence was kinda cool though -- sorta looked like the mother of all CATOs there for a moment. Speaking of which, I would love to have a rocket range like that in our area, complete with PA system, siren and launch control blockhouse.

The commercial was filmed at the Friends of Amateur Rocketry launch site.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/frien...0721142830.html
Old 03-20-2021, 07:04 AM
I do not like Facebook

Does the Redstone or Saturn 1B make that distinctive classic Mopar sound when it starts up?

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 03-20-2021, 02:55 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I've got no issues with a rocket built to roll for ballistic accuracy, but if you're gonna put a camera on it, get the dang fins straight!!!!!

Having done flown many Cineroc flights back in the day, it is really, really hard to get the fins straight enough to prevent any roll when going that fast...
Old 03-21-2021, 12:37 PM
Black Brant & Congreve fanatic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
The commercial was filmed at the Friends of Amateur Rocketry launch site.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/frien...0721142830.html

Thanks very much for the background and link. I took a zoomed in look at that Google sat view of the facility, and it looks amazing! And then I took a look at the FAR website itself, and the place -- and organization -- look even more amazing!! Colour me green with envy and admiration.

Was CAR-ACF# S 337
Was NAR# 91049
Was SAM# 0323

Life begins when the countdown reaches zero!
Old 03-22-2021, 07:10 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
Having done flown many Cineroc flights back in the day, it is really, really hard to get the fins straight enough to prevent any roll when going that fast...

It's nowhere near as hard to minimize roll on rockets that large. The long chord fins make getting them squared a lot easier. I've flown up through M power and my HPR rockets seldom made a even one complete revolution. Probably the max was a little over a full turn on a 10k flight. However, it is harder to prevent when your root is just an inch or two long. I will occasionally screw up and get one to roll a revolution or two. That said, I'm not really asking for a perfectly still flight, just minimize it. A slow roll can be beneficial to see more of the periphery. That rocket had a seriously out of whack fin or two to spin that fast regardless of motor selection.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
It's nowhere near as hard to minimize roll on rockets that large. The long chord fins make getting them squared a lot easier.

Plus, I think bigger rockets just tend to roll slower (sort of like an ice skater twirling with arms extended versus pulled in). That's one reason my rockets have gotten bigger over the years.

https://youtu.be/vlm6k2qwlK8
Old 03-22-2021, 08:33 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Plus, I think bigger rockets just tend to roll slower (sort of like an ice skater twirling with arms extended versus pulled in). That's one reason my rockets have gotten bigger over the years.

https://youtu.be/vlm6k2qwlK8

That's an excellent roll rate for an all-around view of the ground. It was about 1.5 revolutions before ejection and slightly less while the rocket was still vertical.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
That's an excellent roll rate for an all-around view of the ground. It was about 1.5 revolutions before ejection and slightly less while the rocket was still vertical.

Plus, I was able to get it to land in the only clump of trees in the area!

The rocket in the Ford commercial appears to use a larger motor and is smaller in diameter. So, making it roll slower would be more challenging.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:08 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
The rocket in the Ford commercial appears to use a larger motor and is smaller in diameter. So, making it roll slower would be more challenging.

Compare its diameter to the width of the side mirrors. It's a decent diameter airframe. If I were making a commercial, I would test fly and then at least sand a bit of airfoil on one side of the fins near the leading/trailing edges to counter some of the roll. If that didn't slow it enough, I'd consider a small trailing edge tab on a couple fins. Anything to slow the spin for a big time commercial. Heck, 10 test flights would still by far be the cheapest commercial Ford's made in decades!
Old 03-26-2021, 12:06 PM
Black Brant & Congreve fanatic

Quote:
Plus, I was able to get it to land in the only clump of trees in the area...

Yes indeed; and with precision worthy of a spot landing competition.
Nice flight vid, BTW!

Was CAR-ACF# S 337
Was NAR# 91049
Was SAM# 0323

Life begins when the countdown reaches zero!