Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2021, 04:46 PM
Apollo Nut

Well, ask and ye shall receive! Thanks much Chas for that rundown and to Roy for throwing out the info request. Much appreciated!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-10-2021, 08:10 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
<snip> And if you get to see the Estes Tour from NARCON, that last question in the Q&A ("how long did it take for you to decide to take the job at Estes" -- short answer, 24 hours, long answer -- it's the culmination of things), you need to watch his whole answer. It was a great way to end the conference. <snip>
That was "my" question! I'm lucky it was picked, the questions were coming in so fast. So many questions were about "what can Estes do for me", I thought it'd be nice to hear something more personal. It was great to hear him talk about his dream job.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 02-11-2021, 09:33 AM
Level 5 Certified

Doug Ball, Bill Stine and I all flew together a couple years ago in Phoenix, so I think Doug is still somewhat active in rocketry.

Matt
Old 02-11-2021, 02:18 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Doug Ball and George Pantalos were a year behind me. I left Ohio State for the Air Force, while they got their Aero degrees. Doug worked on the F-16 at (then) General Dynamics here in Fort Worth. He later had a long career with Boeing in Reston, WA. IIRC, his last years were spent on advance aircraft. He and Connie Stine renewed their acquaintance and married. They retired to the Phoenix area. George applied fluid dynamics and received a doctorate in physiology, specializing in artificial hearts fluid flow, first at Utah and then at Louisville. I would occasionally see George as he drove experiments from UL down to Ellington Field for zero gee flights. He actually texted me last week that he was driving through North Texas headed to Spaceport America in NM for more zero gee flights. Lately he and his students had been working on a glove box for performing surgery in zero gee. I had to decline meeting due to the pandemic. I saw Doug and Connie at the NARCON in Houston a few years ago. I don't believe either of them are still involved in rocketry, although I still am. Doug and Bob Hagedorn were the Ball-Hagedorn Team back in the late '60s and early '70s.

Chas

Do you remember the Hagedorn part of the B-H Team? He was the person behind those pre-airfoiled styrofoam wings? DB Industries? was that Doug Ball?
Old 02-11-2021, 02:46 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Do you remember the Hagedorn part of the B-H Team? He was the person behind those pre-airfoiled styrofoam wings? DB Industries? was that Doug Ball?

Years ago I asked Doug about that (DB foam wings) and he said that wasn't him. He told me and I've forgotten, but that conversation must be on the Internet somewhere. Just gotta look for it.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:06 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Another little tidbit about Bill Stine/Centuri...

I have a letter in my correspondence notebook from Bill Stine dated March 21, 1980.
It was in response to a letter to I wrote Centuri inquiring about a possible donation of prize kits for HOTROC 1 regional held by ROMAR in Colorado Springs. Bill signed the letter above the title line of 'Customer Relations'.

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 02-16-2021, 02:03 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I met Bill Stine during the fall of 1978. While passing through Phoenix, an old rocketry friend from Buffalo invited me to stay at his place. My friend's housemate was Stine.

My recollection -- perhaps not too accurate after the passage of more than four decades! -- is that Stine was about 20. So I'd say he was born around 1960, plus or minus a year or two.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:11 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:

wonder what happened to Bob Hagedorn? As for the first few years he just sold the Styrofoam wings....then later he sold BG kits with the styrofoam wings.

since they were good enough friends to be the B-H team, I just assumed that DB meant Doug Ball Industries......I'd like to hear that story......you in contact with Doug Ball by any chance? does he come here at all?
Old 03-06-2021, 08:36 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
wonder what happened to Bob Hagedorn? As for the first few years he just sold the Styrofoam wings....then later he sold BG kits with the styrofoam wings.

since they were good enough friends to be the B-H team, I just assumed that DB meant Doug Ball Industries......I'd like to hear that story......you in contact with Doug Ball by any chance? does he come here at all?

So Doug says the “D” in DB stands for Don, who was the owner of the shop where Bob Hagedorn worked. And the “B” stood for Bob. Doug’s only involvement was to use the wings. He said Bob passed away a few years ago.

As for Ellie and Connie, he said Ellie has no involvement with rocketry, and that he and Connie teach a rocketry class at her girls camps, but that’s about it.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:26 AM
Doug Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Doug Ball and George Pantalos were a year behind me. I left Ohio State for the Air Force, while they got their Aero degrees. Doug worked on the F-16 at (then) General Dynamics here in Fort Worth. He later had a long career with Boeing in Reston, WA. IIRC, his last years were spent on advance aircraft. He and Connie Stine renewed their acquaintance and married. They retired to the Phoenix area. George applied fluid dynamics and received a doctorate in physiology, specializing in artificial hearts fluid flow, first at Utah and then at Louisville. I would occasionally see George as he drove experiments from UL down to Ellington Field for zero gee flights. He actually texted me last week that he was driving through North Texas headed to Spaceport America in NM for more zero gee flights. Lately he and his students had been working on a glove box for performing surgery in zero gee. I had to decline meeting due to the pandemic. I saw Doug and Connie at the NARCON in Houston a few years ago. I don't believe either of them are still involved in rocketry, although I still am. Doug and Bob Hagedorn were the Ball-Hagedorn Team back in the late '60s and early '70s.

Chas

Chas has it basically correct. Connie and I use rocketry at her summer camp for girls in upstate New York. But that is it for rocketry for us. Yes, the commute is long and expensive! Ellie does not fly rockets anymore (and hasn't for a long time). She is a nationally recognized equestrian rider and judge. Sadly, Bob Hagedorn passed way in December of 2014.