Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2021, 05:04 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Yeah, I asked about this one years ago.
The Centuri one was larger than the Quest kit.
It's the only announced/catalogued Centuri kit that I know of not making production.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't
!
Old 01-25-2021, 05:09 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Hi Earl,

There is an old YORF post about this one:

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...316&postcount=4

Kind regards,
Jeff
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR

Hmmm...ok, well there ya go. Thanks for digging up that old thread.

The only thing I’d wonder about would be the Damon ‘shutdown’ of Centuri. Centuri issued two more catalogs after the 1981 catalog and had new products in each of those two successive catalogs (1982 and 1983). So, not sure exactly how that matches up with a ‘shutdown’, but there was no doubt that by 82-83 Centuri was certainly not on par with where it had been before.

Possibly Damon just saw the Tomahawk as a product too costly to undertake (maybe?) knowing even then that Centuri’s role was going down and maybe even then they saw they would not continue it as a separate line that much longer.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-25-2021, 05:24 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

OK I'm waiting for somebody here to clone it for all to see. That D powered SR-71 looks pretty cool too......although I'd have to put an E or F in it.....or maybe try a 2 motor cluster.....
Old 01-25-2021, 10:19 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Hi Earl,

There is an old YORF post about this one:

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...316&postcount=4

Kind regards,
Jeff
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR

Whoa! That post was from a ways back.

As Bill Stine told me by the time the Tomahawk had been developed Damon had decided to phase out Centuri. This resulted in the change over to Estes-type parts and no more money for completely new components. There would have been a new nose cone and possibly a new tail cone for the Tomahawk but Damon veto'd the creation of any new parts.

As was noted in the earlier post, Bill was so mad he took the Tomahawk prototype/catalog model and gave it to a neighborhood kid who promptly destroyed it.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:26 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Altschwager
I built my Quest Tomahawk this past summer and it proved that I can not line up large decals properly.

I wonder how many other Centuri kits were never released?

I tried to tag the Estes ones in the Estes kit list. There were those that were listed in a catalog (#2145 Star Booster, 2152 Zenix, etc.) and those that were either posted on a newsgroup or on an online flier (2135 Pigasus, 2229 Saturn 1B (1/70), etc.)

Hey, hey!

Wadda mean the Estes Zenix SSRV was never released!?

I have one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Zenix SSRV 009 Box Front with Hang Tab.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  97.4 KB  
Old 01-25-2021, 11:11 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Whoa! That post was from a ways back.

As Bill Stine told me by the time the Tomahawk had been developed Damon had decided to phase out Centuri. This resulted in the change over to Estes-type parts and no more money for completely new components. There would have been a new nose cone and possibly a new tail cone for the Tomahawk but Damon veto'd the creation of any new parts.

As was noted in the earlier post, Bill was so mad he took the Tomahawk prototype/catalog model and gave it to a neighborhood kid who promptly destroyed it.

Thanks Bob for your (prior) post from all those years ago and for chiming in again (and to Faithwalker for digging up that old thread).

Seeing that the 1981 Centuri catalog (and hence that Tomahawk product prototype) was probably prepared or largely prepared during late 1980, I guess it might be safe to conclude that (maybe) as far back as the Fall of 1980 or so that Damon had decided that Centuri, as a truly on-going entity, was basically 'done'? Wow, that is sad.

I guess the products that were introduced in the '82 and '83 catalogs were allowed to go ahead because they were basically 'stock' stuff. But like someone else pointed out, we know that the Bulldog product offering (which first appeared in the '82 catalog) required a new (and large) balsa cone to fit that BT-70 tube. So, I guess there was still a little leeway with some new components from the Damon suits, else I don't guess that Bulldog would have ever seen the light of day.

But, I did comment a few posts above that, maybe the (what would have been) large 'new' plastic nose and tail cones for the Tomahawk were deemed to be just too plain expensive and that just canned it there (possibly even in the face of the higher-ups saying sometime maybe in the Fall of 1980 "Oh, yeah, well new plastic cones? Uh, yeah, we could maybe go for that."). And then later by the spring of 1981, "Uh, sorry. That kit is just not gonna be in the cards after all."

But, Damon coming down on Centuri by either late '80 or the spring of '81 and saying "Centuri is pretty much headed to the slag heap...just a matter of time", is a revelation. I know that was the last catalog that Grant Boyd was featured as the 'presumed' product leader for Centuri. I guess he was let go by Centuri not long after.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 01-25-2021, 11:23 PM
the middle-aged rocketeer

The Bulldog used the estes bnc -70AJ which had been available for years.It was however the first kit to use it.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:00 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I wanna know about this supposed Estes re-issue of the 1/70 Saturn 1B that was announced but didn't make it.
Never heard about that. What was the time frame of this, and are there any details why it was scrubbed ?
If it was during the era when the company had that Has-been toys guy at the helm, it makes no sense it was even announced.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't
!
Old 01-26-2021, 06:04 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
The Bulldog used the estes bnc -70AJ which had been available for years.It was however the first kit to use it.

Ah, ok. Thanks for that clarification. I did not realize that Estes had such a relatively large balsa cone as a stock item. Well, that certainly helps explain a little more why the Bulldog got the green light.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 01-26-2021, 07:24 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I wanna know about this supposed Estes re-issue of the 1/70 Saturn 1B that was announced but didn't make it.
Never heard about that. What was the time frame of this, and are there any details why it was scrubbed ?
If it was during the era when the company had that Has-been toys guy at the helm, it makes no sense it was even announced.

Estes did a demo flight at one of the big events with one of the prototypes and it did not eject. I can't recall right now if it was one of the Estes composite motors or someone else's. Either way, the kit never went into production. We've talked about it here before so the info is here if you can weed out the million other posts about Estes and Saturn 1B's. There are photos of Mary with one of the prototypes, and IIRC, one of the Sport Rocketry editions has a post-prang photo of the kit.