Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2021, 03:25 PM
Rayz1 Rayz1 is offline
Long time rocketeer since 1964
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Marble, western NC near Murphy
Posts: 8
Default Is it OK to be unfaithful ?

I understand the love and desire and loyalty to various old rocket models and to our favorite old rocket companies. But is it OK to fall in love with clones of the old models we recall as our first ? Is it unfaithful to say , "Hey, I like the Semroc clones and I am going to collect the Semroc and other versions of the old models we started with" ? It is as if we transfer our worship for the old models onto the new and AVAILABLE versions. No doubt we would all jump at the chance to purchase a genuine old kit but they are becoming more scarce and more expensive.

Actually I was not paying attention when Semroc was out with models that now are out of production. I would love to find a Semroc version of the original Estes Scrambler and also some Centuri-Enerjet rockets. I also wish Estes would manufacture stuff like the Maxi and Super Alpha, Scrambler, X-Ray, and others and even go as far as to upsize all of them. But then again I see no reason why Chevrolet can't produce and sell 57 Chevies again. I would buy one if they would.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  centuri Hustler.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  47.1 KB  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2021, 03:43 PM
shockwaveriderz shockwaveriderz is offline
rocket dinosaur
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: My Old Kentucky Home
Posts: 1,076
Smile

yes it is ok. Most of us have to make due with clones as the original are only affordable by the few.

And unfortunately for most of us, that is us.

with that said......UpScales of some of their old classics like an X-Ray suitable for F engines I think would be cool. Why manufacture EF engines if you offer only a very few models capable of using the EF ?

My X-Ray Story:

One of my first model rockets was an X-Ray. Why ? to stick bugs inside the clear plastic payload section and see if they survived or not.

One night some friend and I decided to tape together a light bulb with a couple of batteries, placed it the clear payload section and launched it at night, figuring with the light we would be able to track it as it came down. Wrong. The acceleration loosened the tape job and the light went out. Oh well... back to the drawing board.... Hey I was 13.....give me a break...

Needless to say I never did find that rocket again.
__________________
"Old Rocketeer's don't die; they just go OOP".....unless you 3D print them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2021, 03:52 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
yes it is ok. Most of us have to make due with clones as the original are only affordable by the few.

And unfortunately for most of us, that is us.

with that said......UpScales of some of their old classics like an X-Ray suitable for F engines I think would be cool. Why manufacture EF engines if you offer only a very few models capable of using the EF ?

My X-Ray Story:

One of my first model rockets was an X-Ray. Why ? to stick bugs inside the clear plastic payload section and see if they survived or not.

One night some friend and I decided to tape together a light bulb with a couple of batteries, placed it the clear payload section and launched it at night, figuring with the light we would be able to track it as it came down. Wrong. The acceleration loosened the tape job and the light went out. Oh well... back to the drawing board.... Hey I was 13.....give me a break...

Needless to say I never did find that rocket again.


I was 16 and found everything but the nose cone and the ball bearing. Something about the X-Ray that just encourages bad ideas.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: StickerShock Vader Max

Restorations: Estes Jayhawk

In paint: Estes Air Commander, F-22 Air Superiority Fighter. Long Tom, Solar Warrior Semroc Cyber III, Excalibur, Firefly

Ready to fly: Estes Warp II, TLP Exocet MM: 40
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2021, 06:36 PM
Vanel Vanel is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I was 16 and found everything but the nose cone and the ball bearing. Something about the X-Ray that just encourages bad ideas.



I was 13 and got stung by the very upset bee that I set free after his flight
__________________
Up next:
Under construction:
Under repair:
In finishing: ERP #46 Skylance
In primer: Estes Olympus, Boyce Redstone missile
In paint: Jupiter-C PMC
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2021, 06:38 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
I was 13 and got stung by the very upset bee that I set free after his flight

That'll learn ya!
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: StickerShock Vader Max

Restorations: Estes Jayhawk

In paint: Estes Air Commander, F-22 Air Superiority Fighter. Long Tom, Solar Warrior Semroc Cyber III, Excalibur, Firefly

Ready to fly: Estes Warp II, TLP Exocet MM: 40
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2021, 08:07 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is online now
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,570
Default

That'd be a DEAD BEE.

I believe in the "Starship Troopers" mantra ; a Good Bug is a DEAD BUG.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2021, 11:18 PM
LeeR's Avatar
LeeR LeeR is offline
Retired with Way Too Many Kits
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
yes it is ok. Most of us have to make due with clones as the original are only affordable by the few.

And unfortunately for most of us, that is us.

with that said......UpScales of some of their old classics like an X-Ray suitable for F engines I think would be cool. Why manufacture EF engines if you offer only a very few models capable of using the EF ?

My X-Ray Story:

One of my first model rockets was an X-Ray. Why ? to stick bugs inside the clear plastic payload section and see if they survived or not.

One night some friend and I decided to tape together a light bulb with a couple of batteries, placed it the clear payload section and launched it at night, figuring with the light we would be able to track it as it came down. Wrong. The acceleration loosened the tape job and the light went out. Oh well... back to the drawing board.... Hey I was 13.....give me a break...

Needless to say I never did find that rocket again.


My current upscale project is an upscale X-Ray. It was started over 20 years ago by a good friend. He got out of rocketry, and last year was looking thru his attic and pulled it down for me. I have replaced the “too-long” heavy HPR nose cone with a Big Daddy nose cone, and shortened the clear payload and main tube to be exact scale-ups. (I think he lengthened everything due to that original nose cone.)

I stripped off the 3/8” launch lug and standoff and will conver to rail guides.

Pictured next to an in-progress Estes Phoenix. (This X-Ray will take more than an F, it has a 38mm motor mount.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  B1508A71-546F-4B90-B715-7EF893485B57.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  1.37 MB  
__________________
Lee Reep
NAR 55948

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Super X-Ray
In the Paint Shop: Farside-X, Tiger Shark
Last Completed: Estes V-2 (w/ scale enhancements)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2021, 11:35 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is online now
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,570
Default

That upscale X-Ray will need at least a big G if not an H to fly decently.
I wouldn't try anything below a G64.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-06-2021, 05:03 AM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
My current upscale project is an upscale X-Ray. It was started over 20 years ago by a good friend. He got out of rocketry, and last year was looking thru his attic and pulled it down for me. I have replaced the “too-long” heavy HPR nose cone with a Big Daddy nose cone, and shortened the clear payload and main tube to be exact scale-ups. (I think he lengthened everything due to that original nose cone.)

I stripped off the 3/8” launch lug and standoff and will conver to rail guides.

Pictured next to an in-progress Estes Phoenix. (This X-Ray will take more than an F, it has a 38mm motor mount.)

Has to be close to 5' tall?
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: StickerShock Vader Max

Restorations: Estes Jayhawk

In paint: Estes Air Commander, F-22 Air Superiority Fighter. Long Tom, Solar Warrior Semroc Cyber III, Excalibur, Firefly

Ready to fly: Estes Warp II, TLP Exocet MM: 40
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-06-2021, 07:49 AM
Scott6060842 Scott6060842 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NW Pennsylvania
Posts: 641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
I was 13 and got stung by the very upset bee that I set free after his flight


I was disappointed my bug astronauts never came back mutated by the high G forces and super launch speeds. That sting COULD have given you super bee powers or turned you half bee half boy. Hey, I was only 11 back then.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2021