Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2020, 09:42 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuyge
Wolf,

It looks like we may need to take a look at our Inkscape settings if we're going to start sharing .SVG files

When I open the file that you posted, the text for 'Calypso' and 'US ARMY' come out funny because I don't have the proper fonts installed. We're going to have to start embedding fonts into the files in order to share them properly.

Stan

I wondered about that for about 0.89 seconds as I uploaded the file. Rather than embed the fonts, how about using the "Object to Path"option? I converted my text objects to paths in the attachment. See if that fixes the problem.

Edited to add - great minds think alike. We arrived at the same solution.
-W
Attached Files
File Type: svg Cobra 1500 Nike X Calypso decal.svg (149.6 KB, 20 views)
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 11-19-2020, 09:42 AM
Craftsman

I just did a test using Inkscape 'Save As' functionality and saving as .PDF.
When you save as a .PDF file, you have the option of embedding the font. At least that way the recipient at least knows what font was used and can properly import or print the document.

Stan
Old 11-19-2020, 09:45 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
I wondered about that for about 0.89 seconds as I uploaded the file. Rather than embed the fonts, how about using the "Object to Path"option? I converted my text objects to paths in the attachment. See if that fixes the problem.
-W

Wolf,

That does indeed produce the correct image. However, tweaking and editing become a problem moving forward.

Try a 'Save As' .pdf for me. I'd like to see what fonts you're using and how that imports into Inkscape.

Stan
Old 11-19-2020, 09:46 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuyge
I just did a test using Inkscape 'Save As' functionality and saving as .PDF.
When you save as a .PDF file, you have the option of embedding the font. At least that way the recipient at least knows what font was used and can properly import or print the document.

Stan

Will the text objects scale the same way if someone wants to adjust the size of the decal? I don't believe they will. Converting all the objects to "vector draw" may still be the way to go.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:50 AM
Craftsman

Wolf,

When you do a 'Save As' . PDF in Inkscape, you still have a vector file. That vector file can be imported right back into Inkscape where you can edit it like nothing happened. Excellent for maybe fonts that is.

That's The part that I'm still working on.

Stan
Old 11-19-2020, 10:06 AM
Lost his Drifter

Here's the pdf version with fonts embedded.

I printed the pdf using Acrobat Reader, and the size of the graphics didn't change. My concern with the pdf is that the graphics my come out resized with different print settings. I see decals as pdf on the plan sites and wonder how true to size they are. I generally avoid pdfs if I can find and alternative.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cobra 1500 Nike X Calypso decal with fonts.pdf (54.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:12 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Here's the pdf version with fonts embedded.

I printed the pdf using Acrobat Reader, and the size of the graphics didn't change. My concern with the pdf is that the graphics my come out resized with different print settings. I see decals as pdf on the plan sites and wonder how true to size they are. I generally avoid pdfs if I can find and alternative.

That’s awesome, it just looks like the R in Army is too thick (unless the original is like that, I’ll go look
Old 11-19-2020, 10:22 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
That’s awesome, it just looks like the R in Army is too thick (unless the original is like that, I’ll go look

Neither the Candice font for the Calypso, nor the Calibri font for the Nike-X were 100% accurate. Close enough for me, but maybe not for everyone. If you ungroup the Calypso graphic, you'll see I added the cursive connectors because the Candice font isn't perfect.

I'd like to believe that my version with the Calibri font is way better than whatever the chicoms came up with for the new Nike-X.

Still looking for what font was used for the Maxi Alpha #1291 kit.
-W
Old 11-19-2020, 10:28 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Neither the Candice font for the Calypso, nor the Calibri font for the Nike-X were 100% accurate. Close enough for me, but maybe not for everyone. If you ungroup the Calypso graphic, you'll see I added the cursive connectors because the Candice font isn't perfect.

I'd like to believe that my version with the Calibri font is way better than whatever the chicoms came up with for the new Nike-X.

Still looking for what font was used for the Maxi Alpha #1291 kit.
-W

No doubt, they seem almost perfect. I was fortunate to get the US Army from Gordon before his printer tanked. It’s really exiting to see how awesome these all look. I have done primitive cleanup for an upscale in the past and it was a pain.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:03 AM
Craftsman

Unhappy

I'm going to be unavailable for a while as work is intruding into my ability to post right now...

Stan