Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2020, 02:33 PM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Guess I'll need to figure out how to make a faux-Prodyne Swallow for the next build season.

I had a Prodyne Swallow that was gifted to me.Unfortunately it was destroyed in a fire I had nearly 2 years ago. (Along with lots more goodies).

I believe I traced the fun pattern.I'll see if I can find it and lost it this weekend
Old 11-12-2020, 09:13 PM
Level 5 Certified

I believe the motors shown in the catalog were pressed black powder, not composite propellant.

Because John was using a phenolic case for those designs, he could run a higher chamber pressure and hence deliver a little more Isp.

John had an investor for Pro-Dyne, and they spent a lot of money on a fancy rotary motor press, very similar to what Vern made (Mable). John failed to understand that, when you press a kraft paper case, it expands. They started to make the first run of 18mm engines compatible with the MMI-sized motors, and they couldn't get them out of that machine! That killed the whole project, John told me, because they didn't have enough money to fix the machine.

(Vern designed Mabel with a clamping mechanism that held the motor case in place, but opened slightly and released the case after pressing. Vern's experience was in fireworks, where they were familiar with that phenomenon; John was as a Thiokol rocket engineer and he was not. Because John used hard, stiff paper phenolic cases for his bigger Pro-Jets, he never ran into the problem until he made the rotary machine designed for kraft paper cases.)

I'm not so sure that the V-2 was the only kit Pro-Dyne ever produced.

I went to John's estate sale, and bought about 200 hardwood nosecones (about 1" in diameter and 3" long) and the whole lot of convolute tubes to match. I ended up throwing away most of the tubes, as they warped badly. I still have a box of good, round, clean tubes, however.

I haven't quite figured out what I am going to do with the stuff. The nose cones are of very good quality. I am considering getting a spiral wound tube made to fit the cone and use that in some "short run" NCR kits.

So many projects, so little time.

Matt
Old 11-13-2020, 08:25 AM
Master Modeler

I love the look of the Sparrow's fins. If anybody recreates them, please post the template here!
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 11-13-2020, 10:01 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
I had a Prodyne Swallow that was gifted to me.Unfortunately it was destroyed in a fire I had nearly 2 years ago. (Along with lots more goodies).

I believe I traced the fun pattern.I'll see if I can find it and lost it this weekend

That would be great. It'll be interesting to see how close I come.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 11-13-2020, 07:55 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Thanks for this, Earl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Here is a very old school Prodyne 1963 catalog that I got about a year or so ago. Fairly short, but offers yet another glimpse of early rocketry designs and materials.

This was the company founded by John Rahkonen in Utah, who was a Morton Thiokol engineer back in the day. He passed way in 2009.

Some of his 'Hurricane' motor components are, as a matter of fact, for sale on eBay right now through the following eBayer (they have casings AND graphite nozzles, which are in a separate listing). Not my listing nor do I know the lister personally.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-20-...AAOSw9nZfTKj 0

Earl
SAM #0031
Old 11-15-2020, 01:16 PM
the middle-aged rocketeer

lI'm sorry to say that the fin pattern is not where i thought it was. I believe I still have it but have misplaced it.My apologies.I will post it if and when I come across it. I have many boxes left to sort through.

On another note,the Swallow I had used the larger tube. Parallel wound