Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2020, 09:06 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Bernard-

Wow, that IS an amazing shot! Thanks for sharing!

Earl

It is an amazing shot!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-14-2020, 12:17 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

My "Uprated SPEV" had logged some 260+ (where '+" could be many more than 10) flights before it firmly planted itself about 50' up in a tree above the Chattahoochee River a few years ago.

It had survived numerous catos, two or three school roof landings, four or five landings in tall corn (including one at NARAM-43 where it lost a fin as well), a week and two thunderstorms on a power line next to a high school. Original parts left were the body tubes, two fins, and upper balsa parts (though the nose cone was mostly putty by the end, and the TA6070 had been replaced twice).

It became my go-to Aniversary rocket for the last 27 years of existence (each July 16 I would fly it to celebrate my first flight in 1968, the last flight was an anniversary flight -- wind shifted from two previous smaller rocket flights that afternoon). I mentioned it surviving catos; it was my go-to for 'suspect' C motors. Roman candle catos could not do much to it.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:34 AM
The_Ripper

You guys have all got me beat. Since I first started flying rockets in the late 60’s to present day I don’t think I’ve ever had a rocket that has made more than about a dozen flights. Those estimated twelve flights were with my old LOC Lil’ Nuke that I just couldn’t seem to kill. I built it around 1988 and retired it when I gave it to my son in 1995 which also made it my oldest flyer in my fleet with about 7 years of service. It bears three different paint jobs in the pictures over the years. I added a payload section to it to fly an AltAcc altimeter for a while. It spent a month on those power lines in the picture and was recovered when we returned to that field again for the next launch. The lift off shot is from 1988 on an F41-9W before AeroTech really perfected the white lighting propellant a nice white flame with sparks but not much smoke. It was flown on as little as a D12-3 and as much as an H70 at an LDRS which stripped half the shroud lines off the chute but didn’t zipper the body tube. I also used the largest variety of motors in this rocket than any other in my fleet ... Estes D12’s, FSI F100’s and Crown, Vulcan & AeroTech.

That was my beater rocket. I wish I still had that Lil’ Nuke I’d still be flying it if I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  99C77D4E-5C73-4795-BCD6-366BA8C9D0B5.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  92.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  6D5F98B3-9EF3-4F12-B158-6FAA2188D70F.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  662.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  EA5584E7-F2B3-46E3-BF33-3D4C74EE5DB3.jpeg
Views: 31
Size:  774.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  BD61E73B-50F0-4C94-8F09-6A408A2253EB.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  445.1 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-18-2020, 11:45 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
You guys have all got me beat. Since I first started flying rockets in the late 60’s to present day I don’t think I’ve ever had a rocket that has made more than about a dozen flights. Those estimated twelve flights were with my old LOC Lil’ Nuke that I just couldn’t seem to kill. I built it around 1988 and retired it when I gave it to my son in 1995 which also made it my oldest flyer in my fleet with about 7 years of service. It bears three different paint jobs in the pictures over the years. I added a payload section to it to fly an AltAcc altimeter for a while. It spent a month on those power lines in the picture and was recovered when we returned to that field again for the next launch. The lift off shot is from 1988 on an F41-9W before AeroTech really perfected the white lighting propellant a nice white flame with sparks but not much smoke. It was flown on as little as a D12-3 and as much as an H70 at an LDRS which stripped half the shroud lines off the chute but didn’t zipper the body tube. I also used the largest variety of motors in this rocket than any other in my fleet ... Estes D12’s, FSI F100’s and Crown, Vulcan & AeroTech.

That was my beater rocket. I wish I still had that Lil’ Nuke I’d still be flying it if I did.

I have two Lil' Nukes, one was the first rocket I used epoxy on and hasn't flown since 2002. Built that one as straight as I could. The other one is an upscaled Estes Ninja and that one hasn't flown since 2005. Both should fly in the cornfield this fall/winter.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-18-2020, 05:45 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I have two Lil' Nukes, one was the first rocket I used epoxy on and hasn't flown since 2002. Built that one as straight as I could. The other one is an upscaled Estes Ninja and that one hasn't flown since 2005. Both should fly in the cornfield this fall/winter.
Sweet! I vaguely remember one of your builds possibly from EMRR or maybe your blog? Good luck with the upcoming flights I’m sure you’ll get some great flight pics for your blog.

It’s a nearly indestructible rocket. I should know I really did my best to destroy mine even on completely out of sight flights it always came back unscathed. I really should build another Lil’ Nuke one day
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-18-2020, 07:01 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
The lift off shot is from 1988 on an F41-9W before AeroTech really perfected the white lighting propellant a nice white flame with sparks but not much smoke. It was flown on as little as a D12-3 and as much as an H70 at an LDRS which stripped half the shroud lines off the chute but didn’t zipper the body tube. I also used the largest variety of motors in this rocket than any other in my fleet ... Estes D12’s, FSI F100’s and Crown, Vulcan & AeroTech.

Love that F41 shot!!!
Old 09-18-2020, 07:05 PM
Sometimes collector

I have 20 flights on a model rocket I built just last year, that I was convinced wouldn’t last 5 flights.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:37 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Love that F41 shot!!!

Yeah, that does look like the tell-tale sign of those late 80s Aerotech White Lightning motors. My first flight on my NCR Phantom 4000, which was my first ‘large’ rocket kit, was on this very same motor in early ‘89. Video footage, some of the very, very, early ‘rocket video’ footage I shot, looks just like that, with the sparky stuff in the exhaust.

That is beginning to seem like a while back now...more than 31 years ago!

Good luck Steve with your upcoming inaugural flight(s)!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970