Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2020, 08:00 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Jim Flis retired his Astron Sprint after 500 flights.

I never had a rocket with anywhere near 500 flights.
I've had some that never made it past 1.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:37 PM
BAR 13790

Minimum Number = 1
Every bird gets at least one flight!
So far the greatest number of flights any of my rockets achieved is 11
Old 09-13-2020, 02:23 PM
Master Modeler

I think the most I have documented on one model is one of my Nova Payloaders which is currently at 101 flights, but is still flyable (though it's in pretty rough shape in spots). I have another Nova Payloader—my first one—that I retired at 75 (the body above the motor mount is really soft, thanks to having flown small number of D10s in it). I also have a battered Alpha currently at 92 flights.

Models I like to fly I tend to fly a bunch, so I have quite a few that are in the 25-40 flight range. These will also get replaced if they are lost or damaged beyond practical repair. One of these that immediately comes to mind is the little Checkmate mini-motor two-stager. I had 54 flights on one when a failure of the sustainer to light over a very hard surface pretty much took it out. Its replacement is up to 11 flights so far.

I agree also with Les that every one has to have at least one flight. I need to get some MMX birds built over the last few months flown....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-13-2020, 02:34 PM
BP Mafia

Looks like my best is 41 on my Fat Boy-based Goonybird Star Snoop upscale. The inside is fairly well done, so I'm anticipating it being retired before making it to 100. That's only if the tube burns through. If the Kevlar snaps, I'll just go with the traditional Estes tri-fold mount and soldier on toward the inevitable.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I think the most I have documented on one model is one of my Nova Payloaders which is currently at 101 flights, but is still flyable (though it's in pretty rough shape in spots). I have another Nova Payloader—my first one—that I retired at 75 (the body above the motor mount is really soft, thanks to having flown small number of D10s in it). I also have a battered Alpha currently at 92 flights.

Models I like to fly I tend to fly a bunch, so I have quite a few that are in the 25-40 flight range. These will also get replaced if they are lost or damaged beyond practical repair. One of these that immediately comes to mind is the little Checkmate mini-motor two-stager. I had 54 flights on one when a failure of the sustainer to light over a very hard surface pretty much took it out. Its replacement is up to 11 flights so far.

I agree also with Les that every one has to have at least one flight. I need to get some MMX birds built over the last few months flown....

Checkmate? I don't know that one. Who was the manufacturer? Got a photo?
Old 09-13-2020, 03:34 PM
Master Modeler

Joe,

https://estesrockets.com/product/007276-checkmate/

Jim Wilkerson took an amazing shot of my first one on July 3, 2019, catching it at the moment of staging. It was only 40 or 50 feet up at the time because I used an ancient 1/2A3-0T in the booster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Amelias Aero Club July 3 2019-5093.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  492.3 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-13-2020, 03:49 PM
Apollo Nut

Bernard-

Wow, that IS an amazing shot! Thanks for sharing!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-13-2020, 06:12 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Bernard, thank you. I guess the reason I hadn't heard of it is that I don't keep up with current kit offerings. For some reason, I thought it was a vintage rocket. And Earl, you beat me to it.......that is the most incredible staging photo I've ever seen!

Joe
Old 09-13-2020, 08:13 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

I would say "depends". My Big Bertha has 20+ flights and will likely be flown until it can fly no longer. I think that should always be the answer for Big Berthas. On the other hand, I agree with Les and GH in that some scalers with fragile pieces get one flight under the theory that it's not a rocket until it flies and then they get retired. I have two BT-50 size Aerobees with 50+ flights each in support of my nephew's science fair projects. And I have a Soyuz with 12 flights and no damage (yet) to the lattice framework.

Like I said, depends.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 09-13-2020, 08:28 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Comrades:

I would say "depends". My Big Bertha has 20+ flights and will likely be flown until it can fly no longer. I think that should always be the answer for Big Berthas.

In general I’d agree with this. In fact I was just repairing the Big Bertha that’s in my high school colors after it got a less-than-two-second-delay in a Q-Jet D two weeks ago, which led to a stripped chute, a broken shock cord and the body streamlining in from ~400 feet. That was its 22nd flight.

BUT—I have a Big Bertha that is built according to the original BB plan and painted to resemble Vern’s prototype that he signed at NSL in 2013 and another built for the Big Bertha contest at NARAM-56 that’s signed by both Vern and Gleda. These two are done flying.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE