Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-25-2020, 07:28 AM
CenturiBAR CenturiBAR is offline
Senior (Grandpa) Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 24
Default Estes JT-30C

Would like to clone the Estes Astron Mark II (K-2A). Anyone know a source for the JT-30C tube coupler? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks!
Carl
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-25-2020, 08:18 AM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 10,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiBAR
Would like to clone the Estes Astron Mark II (K-2A). Anyone know a source for the JT-30C tube coupler? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks!
Carl

If you don't find one, you easily can make a tube coupler by cutting a section out of a larger diameter tube and gluing the section inside as reinforcement. It's a simple and easy process. Slip the cut piece of BT inside the BT-30 tube and mark the overlap to make the 2nd cut. I've done it with BT-20 all the way up to 8" HPR stuff.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-25-2020, 08:56 AM
CenturiBAR CenturiBAR is offline
Senior (Grandpa) Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 24
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
If you don't find one, you easily can make a tube coupler by cutting a section out of a larger diameter tube and gluing the section inside as reinforcement. It's a simple and easy process. Slip the cut piece of BT inside the BT-30 tube and mark the overlap to make the 2nd cut. I've done it with BT-20 all the way up to 8" HPR stuff.

Thanks! That's my 2nd choice.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 AM
Chas Russell's Avatar
Chas Russell Chas Russell is online now
Retired Missile Technician
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 963
Default

http://www.erockets.biz/bt-30-2/

eRockets.biz sells BT-30 tubes. You could cut a piece and make a coupler as mentioned above. They also sell this solid balsa tube coupler that you could try hollowing out.
Just thoughts.

Cha
__________________
Charles Russell, MSgt,USAF (ret.)
NAR 9790, Lvl 1
SAM "Balls Three"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2020, 10:10 AM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 10,471
Default

Some scrap BT-50 will work. Might have to massage the shape a tad to make sure it ends up nice and round.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-25-2020, 03:03 PM
Green Dragon Green Dragon is offline
AL Swackhammer , power freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,255
Default

For the Mark II , I'm guessing you want the fishpaper coupler due to the midbody seperation.

Semroc used to have those, surprised someone doesn't have an extra kicking around.

I think, if you had two of the BT20 couplers, maybe peel one layer of paper off the second one, glue on the first to make it larger od - hopefully to fit the BT30 ?


Good luck with the project, Mark II was my first ever rocket, and one of the early ones I cloned as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-25-2020, 07:40 PM
Green Dragon Green Dragon is offline
AL Swackhammer , power freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,255
Default

PS digging through more parts as I unbox the hoard after a few years in limbo - found a couple JT-30C, original vintage.
Drop me a note with address and I'll send you one.

AL
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-29-2020, 06:58 AM
CenturiBAR CenturiBAR is offline
Senior (Grandpa) Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 24
Default

Thanks AL!!!
PM sent
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-29-2020, 02:14 PM
dannymrmissile dannymrmissile is offline
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
For the Mark II , I'm guessing you want the fishpaper coupler due to the midbody seperation.

Semroc used to have those, surprised someone doesn't have an extra kicking around.

I think, if you had two of the BT20 couplers, maybe peel one layer of paper off the second one, glue on the first to make it larger od - hopefully to fit the BT30 ?


Good luck with the project, Mark II was my first ever rocket, and one of the early ones I cloned as well.

Do you want this kit built like the original one ? If not, just use anything to join the tubes and add nose cone for a regular Mark. But I didnít read this whole post. I have a box full of vintage Ivory BT 30 And 40 Tubes, and original components !
Danny.
__________________
ENGINE COSTS ARE " OUT OF SIGHT " .....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-29-2020, 02:16 PM
dannymrmissile dannymrmissile is offline
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiBAR
Would like to clone the Estes Astron Mark II (K-2A). Anyone know a source for the JT-30C tube coupler? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks!
Carl

I can help. Have Lots of them....
Danny
__________________
ENGINE COSTS ARE " OUT OF SIGHT " .....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2021