Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2020, 07:43 PM
dholvrsn dholvrsn is offline
Intermediate Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 51
Default the journal of the m.i.t. rocket society

Does anybody know anything about these 'zines? I downloaded PDFs of the '72 and '74 issues way back when. I believe that there are other issues of these floating around in dead tree form. I saw a photo of the cover of the '80 issue on Facebook. I'm likely to submit my PDFs to Ninfinger, JimZ, and YORS just to prime something and spread the information around.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-29-2020, 09:13 PM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,609
Default

Iíve never seen an actual copy, but I recall a number of references to them during my early NAR years (latter 70s) in the Model Rocketeer magazine.

I would certainly be interested in seeing the copies you have once they are posted to one (or more) of the sites you referenced.

Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2020, 10:12 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholvrsn
Does anybody know anything about these 'zines? I downloaded PDFs of the '72 and '74 issues way back when. I believe that there are other issues of these floating around in dead tree form. I saw a photo of the cover of the '80 issue on Facebook. I'm likely to submit my PDFs to Ninfinger, JimZ, and YORS just to prime something and spread the information around.


I bought the 4 or 5 Issues NAR sold through their store years ago. I think 3 of them were the actual MIT magazines and the rest were photo copies. A lot of good tech articles and plans. One issue dedicated to gliders and another to contest winning designs. NAR may still have them available.
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2020, 10:53 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I bought the 4 or 5 Issues NAR sold through their store years ago. I think 3 of them were the actual MIT magazines and the rest were photo copies. A lot of good tech articles and plans. One issue dedicated to gliders and another to contest winning designs. NAR may still have them available.


Thereís one issue on eBay now: < https://www.ebay.com/itm/164359457381 >
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-29-2020, 11:00 PM
astronwolf's Avatar
astronwolf astronwolf is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Thereís one issue on eBay now: < https://www.ebay.com/itm/164359457381 >

LOL.. I'll send you a scan for free if we can find out who the copy right holder is. Please no one buy this it is such a ripoff. NAR sells old plans like this via NARTS - equally a ripoff.
__________________
-Wolfram v. Kiparski
NAR 28643
TRA 15520
MTMA
Done: Colossus, Centaur, Sky-Ferry
Paintshop: Leviathan, MSH 4" V-2
Building: Estes V-2, Ace Mongrel
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2020, 12:05 AM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I bought the 4 or 5 Issues NAR sold through their store years ago. I think 3 of them were the actual MIT magazines and the rest were photo copies. A lot of good tech articles and plans. One issue dedicated to gliders and another to contest winning designs. NAR may still have them available.



These are the issues I have. The first has the infamous Trip Barber article exposing the under powered FSI Motors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MIT_Journal_1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  216.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mit_Journal_2.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  221.7 KB  
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2020, 09:54 AM
Joe Wooten's Avatar
Joe Wooten Joe Wooten is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
These are the issues I have. The first has the infamous Trip Barber article exposing the under powered FSI Motors.


Underpowered motors or overpowered firecrackers?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-01-2020, 09:01 AM
dholvrsn dholvrsn is offline
Intermediate Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 51
Default

I have since found that nearly all that stuff is available for download in the members section of NAR website. I've been snagging it. I didn't realize that the MIT club designed so many RCRGs in the '70s.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-02-2020, 06:44 AM
GuyNoir's Avatar
GuyNoir GuyNoir is offline
NAR # 19250 - Life Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Woodstock, IL
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholvrsn
I didn't realize that the MIT club designed so many RCRGs in the '70s.


Actually most of those models were RC BG's not RG's. They flew with pulse proportional receivers that they designed and built themselves.
__________________
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-02-2020, 06:32 PM
Ez2cDave's Avatar
Ez2cDave Ez2cDave is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
Actually most of those models were RC BG's not RG's. They flew with pulse proportional receivers that they designed and built themselves.


Look up the term "Bentert Actuator".

Dave F.
__________________
"Failure Is Not An Option . . . Adapt & Overcome ! "

NAR # 26128 L2
TRIPOLI # 517 L2 ( inactive, at present )
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2020