Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2020, 08:06 AM
Master Modeler

I believe that Estes Space Shuttle kits are not rare at all. It’s the kind of kit that got bought (like Saturn Vs and other hard-to-builds) and put away for someday. There are always at least one or two for sale. It’s too bad that they’re prices are in the stratosphere—right now there are 3 for sale, two in the original green packaging and one in the later packaging, and all are at or above $300. I’d love to build one of these again but not at those prices. Yikes. I guess I will try the new one and forego scale.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:21 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
I believe that Estes Space Shuttle kits are not rare at all. It’s the kind of kit that got bought (like Saturn Vs and other hard-to-builds) and put away for someday. There are always at least one or two for sale. It’s too bad that they’re prices are in the stratosphere—right now there are 3 for sale, two in the original green packaging and one in the later packaging, and all are at or above $300. I’d love to build one of these again but not at those prices. Yikes. I guess I will try the new one and forego scale.

Speaking of which, that one seller has two rather early space shuttle kits and I think they are two you are talking about being above $300. The seller lists one as having a 'white' fuel tank and the other as having a 'red' fuel tank. I've looked at the packaging and the contents (as best one can with the photos) of both and I cannot tell what they are referring to. One would assume some coloring concerning the external tank, but I see nothing 'red' on either one. Of course, the plastic pieces on both are white.

Do you understand what specifically they may be referring to?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-12-2020, 10:24 AM
Master Modeler

I think they may be referring to the instructions. The original shuttle had a white main tank. NASA decided not to paint them white to save weight. So perhaps the instructions changed to reflect that. I can’t think of any other reason since the parts weren’t colored in the kit—other than white.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:30 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
I think they may be referring to the instructions. The original shuttle had a white main tank. NASA decided not to paint them white to save weight. So perhaps the instructions changed to reflect that. I can’t think of any other reason since the parts weren’t colored in the kit—other than white.

Ahh...so they updated the instructions to reflect when the shuttle tank changed colors. Ok. Yeah, I guess that would not be discernible by looking from the outside. But since these two kits are sealed, I guess the seller knows by some 'indication' that one is one, and one is the other.

Thanks!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 06-12-2020, 02:48 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Weren't there two Estes Shuttle kits with distinctly different artwork.........a predominantly green artcard with a white tank, and a mainly white artcard with an orange tank?
Old 06-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Weren't there two Estes Shuttle kits with distinctly different artwork.........a predominantly green artcard with a white tank, and a mainly white artcard with an orange tank?

Yes, later on Estes did completely redo the face card for their shuttle kit as you describe. However, in the two kits this particular seller has listed, both are the older face card and, at least to my eyes, I can see no differences between them. In other words, neither are of the latter face card design of which you referenced.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 06-12-2020, 03:32 PM
Master Modeler

STS-1 and STS-2 were the first shuttle launches and they had white main tanks. STS-3 through STS-135 had burnt orange-colored tanks (the color of the foam insulation). The kit was available for many years before they changed the packaging so there may be a difference in the kits, but as I said before, I only ever built one.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:51 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I built 3 of the original 1284 Estes Space Shuttle kits.
Agree pricing now is ridiculous. I'd like to see Estes reissue it now just to drop the prices of the old ones.
The original flies FAR better on the newly reissued C5-3 than it does on a C6-3.
Flies great on Aerotech 18mm RMS Ds also.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Master Modeler

I went back and reread the descriptions. Where does it indicate a second release? And, further, what is this mysterious red tube they speak of. The pics for rack look identical.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:41 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
I went back and reread the descriptions. Where does it indicate a second release? And, further, what is this mysterious red tube they speak of. The pics for rack look identical.

Well, that was kinda my question all along. I don’t see any difference between the two kits and I have no idea what ‘red fuel tank’ they are referring to. Now, in your earlier response you mentioned something about a possible change in the instructions to reflect the fact that NASA had changed the ET color (well, stopped painting it white to save some weight and let the original color of the foam show through). But, like GH, I have built only one of these shuttles and that was back around ‘86 or so. I don’t recall any ‘red’ anything in mine.

So, if your ‘change in instructions’ reference is not it, then I don’t know where the difference comes in or what the ‘red fuel tank’ is at all.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions