Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2020, 04:40 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Landed foul in the grass, but I saw no jester.

Yeah, he may have been at the doctor getting his cast removed.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-14-2020, 04:48 PM
BP Mafia

Next up was the ill-fated Centuri Vulcan. Before the flight I had been looking the brittle old girl over and wondering if she was actually flightworthy. For some reason my gluing method had given it the look of a schwantz with Peyronie's Disease, as it had a pronounced droop just before the nose cone. Didn't care. I was proud of it anyway, even in its then current battered state. I'd pulled the C6-3 that I had initially planned to fly it on and substituted a B6-2, which ensured that everything would happen almost at eye level. I'm not terribly proficient with the cell phone as a movie camera anyway, doubly so when I'm pushing the launch button with my right hand and filming with my left. I generally wind up with pictures of my crotch because I forget the camera is rolling, so in this occasion I was concentrating really hard at keeping the camera level. I saw it leave the pad and was thinking "Okay, now track the flight with the camera," when the flight reappeared on the camera. I looked out to see the motor tube hit the ground trailing tracking smoke, then the body of the rocket following. On fire. I kept the camera rolling until there was little left but ashes. Maybe 25 feet? With a two point landing about five feet apart? Luckily it had rained earlier in the week and I was able to casually tap the dying flames out. In the end, it appeared that the glue joints had given way, which allowed the tinder-dry body to slide down into the path of the flame. The motor tube looks untouched. The body is now fertilizing center field. As soon as I can get a stout enough sheet of paper I'll rebuild her. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Vulcan.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  83.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Vulcan clears rod.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  132.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Vulcan re-enters the atmosphere (2).jpg
Views: 14
Size:  151.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Vulcan fini (2).jpg
Views: 19
Size:  384.2 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 04-14-2020, 04:53 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Flight #11 would be only the second Estes Alpha flight I've ever made. That was in 1977 the weekend of my birthday. It was perfectly calm in the NKU parking lot that afternoon, but the winds were being sneaky and cranking up above the trees. The paint was barely dry for that C6-5 flight and it seemed like it took forever to land deep in that forested section of campus. In later years I'd park in that forest after they made a parking lot out of it, but I never found the Alpha. In the years since I've flown Alpha IIs, IIIs, IVs and Vs, as well as Super Alphas, but until Saturday never another Alpha. The curse is broken. The A8-3 flight was fairly high and straight with very little drift. Landed foul in the grass, but I saw no jester.

I was going to suggest another C6-5 for old times, but it’s too nice to lose.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:01 PM
BP Mafia

Somewhat surprisingly, I soldiered on. Lucky #13 would be the Semroc BatRok done in Adam West tribute paint scheme. I like the way it turned out, but the inkjet BATMAN decal on the payload section is barely noticeable. At any rate, the minimum diameter rocket on an A8-3 would be plenty of bird for the field and conditions. As expected, flight was fairly high and straight with recovery across the field near third base.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Semroc BatRok.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  87.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc BatRok_Moment(2).jpg
Views: 12
Size:  212.4 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 04-14-2020, 05:14 PM
BP Mafia

Flight 14 was a redemption flight, the Semroc Centurion on the mighty B6-4. Last flight for this bird on this field was back in 2011. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrQwmsWK0Rg It didn't end well. Not only did it spend the night on the wire, it also suffered a small zipper and lost nose cone during the salvage operation the next morning. I cut down the body tube and ordered a new nose cone from eRockets and Saturday was the coming out party. The B6-4 was perfect on this field, landing deep in the hole behind second base. No man's land, but at least it doesn't require recovery with an improvised device.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Semroc Centurion.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  106.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Centurion_Moment(3).jpg
Views: 9
Size:  175.6 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-14-2020, 05:23 PM
BP Mafia

15th on the bill was one of my Estes Rogue variants, this one the 1.3x BT-50 version. Lost focus on this one, so the pics turned out iffy. The flight was perfect, the recovery somewhat less so. Plenty of altitude, but on recovery the rear of the rocket caught the edge of the infield dirt, and the same fin that came off last time came off this time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  image-frw-rogue-13xmoment3jpg-900-600-042220184214359.jpg
Size:  9.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Rogue 1.3.jpg
Size:  77.2 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-14-2020, 05:26 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
I was going to suggest another C6-5 for old times, but it’s too nice to lose.

If we get back to the cornfield, it's in the plans.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-14-2020, 06:00 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
#8 in the lineup would be a B6-4 Field veteran, the Estes Vampire on a 1/2A3-2T. This isn't an actual vampire, but a Jinx with a set of Excelsior decals. It had flown here before, but four years had passed since the last flight, so I brought it along. Flight was dead straight with the chute popping just as it stopped moving. The breeze had found something else to do for a moment and was largely distracted as the Vampire recovered in short center field, very close to where I was launching from.

Nice "Vampire". I have a soft spot for the '73 RTF's. I recently bought this Jinx and Black Diamond from YORF member Haras on Ebay. It was my last Excelsior Vampire decal. The Black Diamond's going up on a C6-7.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  20200414_182813_resized_2.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  380.1 KB  
Old 04-14-2020, 06:21 PM
BP Mafia

I've never really managed a good flight from the Goonybird Cloud Hopper. My original jinked off the pad and plowed into the eaves of my childhood home on Blossom Lane. This necessitated a quicky repaint of the underside of the eaves lest my Dad figure out what happened. (He never did.) All I was able to salvage from the rocket was a rear fin with the rabbit foot sticker on it. It had been painted Rocket Red because I got a good deal on Rocket Red spray paint and for a while all my rockets were that color. Because of that, this rocket was as close to Rocket Red as I could get. This one always has seemed a lot like the Wolverine in that the flight path is wildly inconsistent. The 1/2A3-2T was way underpowered, and the flight topped out at around 75'. It never got squirrelly, but it did plow into the ground just as it ejected and tossed a fin. I'll fly it again, but with an A3-4T.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Estes Goonybird Cloudhopper.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  100.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Goonybird Cloudhopper_Moment(2).jpg
Views: 7
Size:  246.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Goonybird Cloudhopper_Moment(3).jpg
Views: 6
Size:  227.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Goonybird Cloudhopper_Moment(4).jpg
Views: 6
Size:  104.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Goonybird Cloudhopper_Moment(8).jpg
Views: 9
Size:  121.5 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-14-2020, 06:31 PM
BP Mafia

Seventeenth flight of the day was supposed to be the last, but that plan changed at the last minute. The only reason the Estes Rattler 7 flew was because I found an A8-3 rolling around the bottom of my tote. I was tired, but since it's such an infrequent flyer, I decided to give it a go. The Rattler 7 was a last second purchase and quicky build when we visited my brother in law for a launch in Cleveland in 2001. It lost the upper section that day, but I've since replaced it with a length of BT-5 and a spare nose cone. Always like the looks of the rocket, and it's always flown well. Today was no exception, a dead straight boost to 250' and a long drift to the third base line on recovery. As I was returning from the recovery journey I noticed a dad and two kids walking on the sidewalk up by the school, looking my way expectantly. This wouldn't be my last flight of the day after all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Estes Rattler 7.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  128.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Rattler 7_Moment(2).jpg
Views: 5
Size:  233.1 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058