Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2020, 07:47 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Oh, and I'm cheating on the liftoff shots. I've been having camera issues at the cornfield, so I've taken to using my cellphone at my home field. I get an on pad glamour shot of the rocket before flight, then use the movie function on the phone and download each flight to the computer after I'm home. My computer lets me take stills from the movie. All I have to do is move the cursor and click save. Three months into the year and I already have a new "skill".

Well, there ya go! Another silver lining to add to the list.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-13-2020, 08:11 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Flight #6 would be the first flight of the Centuri Zebra II Payloader. I had this plan for years before I finally decided to build it. To be honest, it turned out a lot better than I could have hoped. It's a nice, compact payloader from the waning days of Centuri when the new kits shared a lot of parts with Estes. I think I've built almost all of them except the Bulldog, and that one is downstairs waiting for me to revive it. The ZIIP flew on an A8-3, plenty of engine for the field conditions. Fairly light, so it was a noticeably high, straight flight that recovered on the infield between short and third.

Best I can tell, the Zebra II Payloader was the last assigned kit number in the Centuri kit series. It was kit #5361 and I don’t see a kit with a higher number, as the number series went those latter years. ‘Last of the line’ I guess you could say.

A couple months ago I opened one of the ZIIP kits I had so as to scan everything and prepare it for the build pile. It did strike me as a better looking kit/design than I had given it credit for.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 04-13-2020, 09:43 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
A couple months ago I opened one of the ZIIP kits I had so as to scan everything and prepare it for the build pile. It did strike me as a better looking kit/design than I had given it credit for.

Earl

Dare I ask if you did the scans and if so where they might be obtained?

From Bill’s picture it looks to be around the size and configuration of the Astron X-Ray - ST-7 on the bottom and ST-10 on top perhaps.

I’m always on the lookout for another nice LPR payload design....

Thanks.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-13-2020, 09:52 PM
Apollo Nut

Bernard-

I can post them here sometime later tonight. They are on my desktop system and currently I’m working off an iPad in another room in the house.

I’ll post them in a new thread so as not to ‘divert’ Bill’s launch thread.

Earl

P.S.- Bernard, the instructions, fins, decals, etc are in the Centuri rocket plans section here on the Ye Olde Rocketry Shoppe, if you want to get to a set (those are not mine) right away.
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Last edited by Earl : 04-13-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:46 PM
Master Modeler

Silly me, I should have thought to look there. And...I missed the bit about Estes parts. It’s BT-20 and BT-50.

Do your scans have a ruler in them? In any event I’ll look forward to your scans.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-14-2020, 03:26 PM
BP Mafia

Seventh flight was another first flight bird that I had big small field hopes for, the two-stage Estes Twin Factor. This was the first build out of my Estes "Merry Christmas to me" order and I'd deliberately skipped a couple of chances to fly it in the cornfield. (Then forgot to bring it along last Saturday.) Nope, this one would fly at B6-4 Field the first time, and it turned out to be the perfect two stager for the field. Loaded A10-0T/A3-4T, I was able to see it stage, then see the booster recover, then see the sustainer recover. The only thing that could make it better was if I could figure out how to paint it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Twin Factor.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  62.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Twin Factor climbs out.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  189.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Twin Factor first stage recovery.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  158.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Twin Factor second stage nears touchdown.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  233.6 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 04-14-2020, 03:35 PM
BP Mafia

#8 in the lineup would be a B6-4 Field veteran, the Estes Vampire on a 1/2A3-2T. This isn't an actual vampire, but a Jinx with a set of Excelsior decals. It had flown here before, but four years had passed since the last flight, so I brought it along. Flight was dead straight with the chute popping just as it stopped moving. The breeze had found something else to do for a moment and was largely distracted as the Vampire recovered in short center field, very close to where I was launching from.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Estes Vampire_Moment(5).jpg
Size:  132.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Vampire_Moment(3).jpg
Views: 10
Size:  175.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Vampire.jpg
Size:  87.0 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Old 04-14-2020, 04:10 PM
BP Mafia

Flight 9 would be an Estes Micron, a mini engine bird that I picked up via eBay several years ago. It has patina, which makes it one of my eBay favorites, and it has the advantage of being mini engine powered, but light enough to still attain decent heights. This one would be on a 1/2A3-4T, which I expected would keep it well within the yard. I figured right. The flight topped out around the 250-300' level and recovered near the infield in short right center. The streamer never gave a hint of streaming, but the grass cushioned the landing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Estes Micron.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  71.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Micron_Moment(3).jpg
Views: 8
Size:  210.0 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-14-2020, 04:18 PM
BP Mafia

Finally past the halfway point, #10 would be the Semroc Penetrator for the first flight in full livery. This one was loaded with a C6-5 in the cornfield, but I ran out of time, so I switched it to an A8-3. Flight was fairly straight to near 300', but caught a breeze on recovery and drifted deep into foul territory on the left field line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Semroc Penetrator.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  113.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Penetrator_Moment(3).jpg
Views: 6
Size:  203.6 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-14-2020, 04:30 PM
BP Mafia

Flight #11 would be only the second Estes Alpha flight I've ever made. That was in 1977 the weekend of my birthday. It was perfectly calm in the NKU parking lot that afternoon, but the winds were being sneaky and cranking up above the trees. The paint was barely dry for that C6-5 flight and it seemed like it took forever to land deep in that forested section of campus. In later years I'd park in that forest after they made a parking lot out of it, but I never found the Alpha. In the years since I've flown Alpha IIs, IIIs, IVs and Vs, as well as Super Alphas, but until Saturday never another Alpha. The curse is broken. The A8-3 flight was fairly high and straight with very little drift. Landed foul in the grass, but I saw no jester.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Estes Alpha.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  76.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Alpha leaves the rail.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  202.5 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058