Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2020, 06:44 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Where in the world did you ever find that fin ?

Dave F.

I found it on my front porch.

It arrived, unsolicited, in the mail, from a very good friend who thought I would like it.

He was right. 😁
Old 09-01-2020, 07:10 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
By the way, this is what a real Terrier fin looks like.

I get the funniest stuff in the mail.

The dog's name, obviously, is "Gus."

I have a set of four Nike booster fins that have a similar main mounting root edge tube. The fin itself is made of some type of phenolic material and is HARD AS A ROCK and about as heavy. The fins have no finish coat on them and are naturally a very dark color; almost black.

Obtained from a Wallops Island junk yard in the early 1990s. If I can ever get back over to them in the storage room I’ll post a photo of them.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-01-2020, 08:24 PM
Craftsman

Cool fin!!!

BTW - we have Pitbull puppy named Gus (no relation).
Old 09-02-2020, 07:43 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I found it on my front porch.

It arrived, unsolicited, in the mail, from a very good friend who thought I would like it.

He was right. 😁

No no no no no!

You launched a scale Terrier Malemute and it drifted over the tree line into a thicket. You sent Gus to retrieve it and he came back with the real thing.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:05 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
No no no no no!

You launched a scale Terrier Malemute and it drifted over the tree line into a thicket. You sent Gus to retrieve it and he came back with the real thing.

Yeah, yeah. That's the ticket! LOL

Actually, here's another photo of a group of Terrier fins as they were housed in the prep facility many, many years ago. Apparently the rest of them were all used or went away in some other fashion. The one that came to me was left behind as abandoned junk with some other "trash." The person who sent it to me did so instead of putting it in the dumpster.

Final note. Years ago I went to the launch of MLAS, with Sandman and Peter Alway. That vehicle was powered by four Terriers inside the MLAS trunk. Watching 4 Terriers ignite simultaneously was a huge thrill. They make a LOT of noise and smoke. Best "model" rocket launch I've ever seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  T fins.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  896.0 KB  
Old 09-03-2020, 10:55 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
Here's the problem I've run into. Terriers, like Nikes, seem to have flown with a number of different fins. And it looks like even with Nike fins sometimes.

Peter Always' drawing of the Terrier Malemute show it in a configuration that seems to appear just once - the first flight. He shows the 3:1 ogive (when seems to get some use, based on other photos). A payload section about 2.5 calibers long - which is the shortest pictured. Other Terrier Malemute and Terrier Improved Malemute (motor 2" longer and improved attachment to the interstage) show payloads 6-8 calibers long. No biggee if I want to model model more than one - just more body tube.

Peter's drawing shows the double wedge profile with a root : tip cord ratio of 3.8, a span of 22.1 inches and a root chord of 24.5 inches. That's clearly the same fins on the RIM-2F and he has the same measurements in the Homing Terrier Refit RIM-2F drawing.
Dave has posted another Terrier fin drawing with a diamond profile, root:tip ratio of 2.5, root chord of 33.5", span of 22 inches. With matching photos. I believe it to be the RIM-2C/BT-3 version.
Going through photos of the Terrier Malemute, I'm measuring root:tip ratios of 2.13. multiple photos with different payloads. And a root:span ratio of 1.2 - measurably different than the 1.1 of the 2F, or the 1.5 of the 2C.

So what the heck fin is it? And how's a modeler to choose?

Welcome to my world! Sometimes I can find clues, sometimes I can't. The Terrier-Malemute was a case of finding some data somewhere (I'm guessing someone mailed some bits to me, in this case, but I can't remember who offhand) and drawing up the one version I can draw. Sometimes various components vary all over the map. Sometimes things are pretty standard.

It's a wonder that I can find enough to draw anything.

Peter Alway
Old 09-04-2020, 07:13 AM
Ciderwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlway
It's a wonder that I can find enough to draw anything.
Peter Alway

Oh, but aren't we all so glad that you do.

I may not have ended up modelling the exact version that you drew. Nor an exact version of anything. But I'm pleased with the result - which is what counts. And she sure does look nice going up.

And now I have this nice Terrier model that's looking for more friends. I feel Terrier Recruits and Black Brants in my future. I've already built a matching scale Talos booster - but pricing motors for it put me in shock. So actually flying a Talos Terrier Recruit or Talos Terrier Black Brant will take some wallet conditioning.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 09-04-2020, 08:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlway
Welcome to my world! Sometimes I can find clues, sometimes I can't. The Terrier-Malemute was a case of finding some data somewhere (I'm guessing someone mailed some bits to me, in this case, but I can't remember who offhand) and drawing up the one version I can draw. Sometimes various components vary all over the map. Sometimes things are pretty standard.

Peter Alway

Peter,

Data is "funny" that way . . . Often, the best stuff shows up when you're either not looking for it, or searching for something else, entirely !

Dave F.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:08 PM
Craftsman

Terrier-Malemute in color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Terrier-Malemute.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  97.7 KB  
Old 12-02-2020, 03:57 PM
Banned

Chris,

Nice shot !

Is there a hi-res version of that image ?

Dave F.