Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2007, 03:05 AM
Junior Rocketeer

The Interceptor E has reinforcing strips on the top verticals and wings. We discovered, in flight testing, that these were shear points. All the old balsa and "toothpicks" have been replaced with new plastic tooling. The wing pods are each two pieces, injection molded. The top vert spikes are each a single injection piece. The nose cone is blow-mold on both.

Have a closer look at the paint work on the "E" version. The whole rocket has been painted in a pearlescent random panel effect. It doesn't come over as well in a photo, but in person the effect is stunning. Also, the decals have all been enhanced.

The Interceptor E is a slow flyer, even on an E motor. It's beautiful to watch.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguepink
The Interceptor E has reinforcing strips on the top verticals and wings. We discovered, in flight testing, that these were shear points. All the old balsa and "toothpicks" have been replaced with new plastic tooling. The wing pods are each two pieces, injection molded. The top vert spikes are each a single injection piece. The nose cone is blow-mold on both.

Have a closer look at the paint work on the "E" version. The whole rocket has been painted in a pearlescent random panel effect. It doesn't come over as well in a photo, but in person the effect is stunning. Also, the decals have all been enhanced.

I assume the Interceptor E can also use the D12's (D12-3 or 5)?!
Old 05-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:

I noticed the E version looked weathered. Nice touch. She maybe slow on an E9, but I'll bet it moves out on a F22 or even a E30.... unless Penrose has a better engine coming for it?.....
Old 05-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Send a message via MSN to wildman33 Send a message via Yahoo to wildman33

Time to open the wallet and buy 2 each of ESTES Interceptor.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:06 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Have a closer look at the paint work on the "E" version. The whole rocket has been painted in a pearlescent random panel effect. It doesn't come over as well in a photo, but in person the effect is stunning.

Roguepink,

I presume that isn't a one coat Krylon color.

Can you give us an explanation of the technique and materials used?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Roguepink,

Since the cat is out of the bag anyway...how about a really nice photo of your "prototype" with a nice close up shot or two of your paint scheme.

Heck you're leaving Estes anyway, they probably wouldn't mind you snaping a few pics.

We like pics!

BTW...will they let you take anything with you when you leave? Maybe a trunkload of "spare" kits or like maybe some personal projects or even some failed ones that never made it into production...those would be cool to see.

Don't get into trouble though!

http://sandmandecals.com/

Last edited by sandman : 05-26-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Middle-Age Canadian Rocketeer

I guess it would be too much to ask if Estes would also be coming out with the 'Simulated Strap-On Booster' for the Interceptor as well...
Old 05-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas
Default Booster Overlook

I've been waiting for one of the many geniuses (genii???) to figure a way to make the booster work. I bet more than a few will try with this version. Any word on where and when to order. There isn't a waiting list that I don't know about, is there???
Old 05-26-2007, 08:35 PM
GET GOONY!!

I already have a new ESTES D Region Tom (and I like it!), and I will surely be buying several of each of the Interceptors!!

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 05-27-2007, 01:44 AM
Junior Rocketeer

I have some detail photos already, I'll get them online and provide a link.

Base color is Krylon gloss white.
I used a plotter to cut 4 variations of random rectangles and squares. Short of a plotter, use some frisket film, a straight edge, and hand cut your patterns.
The panel color is a pearlescent white acrylic I found at an art supply store. Work lightly.
The effect must be airbrushed.
Apply a mask, spray, move, spray, move, etc. Change masks to avoid any patterns.
Panel weathering is a note card placed against the rocket and misting a dark gray or black along the card edge. Work from back of the subject to the front. This creates the illusion of streaks and grime coming off weld points.
Apply decals and seal with a FLAT lacquer clear. The flat finish subdues the panel and makes the effect more subtle.
The final touch is more airbrush to pick out exhaust stains and burn marks.

You can give any rocket a great sense of scale this way. It works particularly well on real-world subjects and science fiction designs.