Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-12-2018, 07:04 AM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 9,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
A little more from John. "I would say it's a little more robust then before but it's much easier to build now."

John Boren

Translation, 29mm mount.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-12-2018, 10:57 AM
Shreadvector's Avatar
Shreadvector Shreadvector is offline
Launching since 1970.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,171
Default

Catalog says 24mm. Of course, that could have changed, like the product number......



2157 Apollo II Saturn V Scale 1/100th
Length: 43.25 in (110 cm)
Diameter: 3.94 in (100 mm)
Estimated Weight: 11 oz (311.8 g)
Fins: Plastic
Recovery: 3 Parachutes
Projected Altitude: 150 ft (46 m)
Recommended Engines: E12-4* (first
launch), Composite E30-4*
Requires 3/16 in (5 mm) Maxi™ launch
rod (2244), sold separately.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-12-2018, 02:55 PM
Scott_650 Scott_650 is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 189
Default

With the still cataloged and very popular LJII using the same composite E30 motor as shown for the Saturn V a 29mm version probably isn’t happening. But wouldn’t it be awesome if it came with a 29mm motor mount and included a 24mm adapter? Can’t wait to have mine in-hand and see if that mod is a practical possibility...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-12-2018, 08:48 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,326
Default

Mine will definitely be 29mm powered whether it comes in the kit or not.
That is the MINIMUM reasonable mount for any 4" diameter rocket.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
John has posted on the other forum. The other Saturn V was briefly shown at the NARAM 60 manufacturers forum. It will be a 1/200 scale model, all molded in plastic and completely painted and ready to fly other then attaching the parachute.

"So the wraps will be new?"

Other then the new injection molded fins that made it into the last release every other piece of plastic is new. There is in fact a completely New plastic item that will make the build much easier while adding more scale detail. The capsule and escape tower are a piece of cake to assemble now. This version should be a more accurate version of the Apollo 11 launch vehicle.

John Boren



I think possibly the "completely new plastic item" John referenced in the quote above is a new spacecraft/lunar module adapter ('SLA') that is a one-piece unit and not the 'curl and glue' paper adapter that has been used historically in the past Centuri and Estes kits of the Saturn V.

Here's a hint: If you have the latest issue of Sport Rocketry magazine (Nov/Dec 2018; mine came sometime last week but I had not looked at it in great detail until earlier this eve), take a look at the full-page Estes ad on the inside front cover. If the graphic of the Saturn V in that ad is in keeping with the upcoming kit release, one can see much more surface detail in the SLA than any prior Centuri or Estes version of this kit. So, possibly the SLA is now a light-weight, one-piece plastic section.

Just a guess to add to the 'speculation' pile....


Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Royatl's Avatar
Royatl Royatl is offline
SPEV/Orion wrangler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Translation, 29mm mount.


no that was actually in response to a question about the escape tower.
__________________
Roy
nar12605
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Royatl's Avatar
Royatl Royatl is offline
SPEV/Orion wrangler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Catalog says 24mm. Of course, that could have changed, like the product number......



2157 Apollo II Saturn V Scale 1/100th
Length: 43.25 in (110 cm)
Diameter: 3.94 in (100 mm)
Estimated Weight: 11 oz (311.8 g)
Fins: Plastic
Recovery: 3 Parachutes
Projected Altitude: 150 ft (46 m)
Recommended Engines: E12-4* (first
launch), Composite E30-4*
Requires 3/16 in (5 mm) Maxi™ launch
rod (2244), sold separately.



nothing has ever stopped anyone from putting a larger mount in the Centuri or Estes Saturn Vs.

One of our club members in MASER had a 29 mm mount in his Centuri Saturn V in 1970. Flew nicely on FSI F100 motors. AFAIK he never flew it on Centuri MiniMax or Enerjets, the F100 was just perfect.
__________________
Roy
nar12605
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Royatl's Avatar
Royatl Royatl is offline
SPEV/Orion wrangler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I think possibly the "completely new plastic item" John referenced in the quote above is a new spacecraft/lunar module adapter ('SLA') that is a one-piece unit and not the 'curl and glue' paper adapter that has been used historically in the past Centuri and Estes kits of the Saturn V.

Here's a hint: If you have the latest issue of Sport Rocketry magazine (Nov/Dec 2018; mine came sometime last week but I had not looked at it in great detail until earlier this eve), take a look at the full-page Estes ad on the inside front cover. If the graphic of the Saturn V in that ad is in keeping with the upcoming kit release, one can see much more surface detail in the SLA than any prior Centuri or Estes version of this kit. So, possibly the SLA is now a light-weight, one-piece plastic section.

Just a guess to add to the 'speculation' pile....


Earl


I'd rather have the SII interstage done that way than the SLA, but both would be nice.
__________________
Roy
nar12605
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-13-2018, 06:52 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 9,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
no that was actually in response to a question about the escape tower.

You're takin all the fun out of it.
I keep mentioning 29mm mount, but I'd never put one in one of mine. I like mine to fly on classic BP power. I did my interchangeable mount so I could switch back and forth from cluster to D12 power with an option for FSI motors if I ever came across any. Never came across any until after I retired the model.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-13-2018, 08:19 PM
rocket.aero rocket.aero is offline
Intermediate Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
...switch back and forth from cluster to D12 power ...


Clustering is great as long as reliable igniters are available. I cannot imagine Estes offering a cluster product as long as the current igniter/starter product is included with their motors.

James
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2019