Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
What do your builds weigh, without motor? A D12-3 on mine sims to about 100', with 1.7s burnout to apogee, yikes! If I add 4xA10, I get 200', 2.4s burnout. Better speed off the rod, but still scary deployment, given the low altitude.

I'll check the weight later, but I can tell you the flight which the series of pics shown (those pictures were taken by Warren Benson of the NHRC #365 NAR Section) the model got a fairly good altitude, thanks to the extra boost the A10's. I figured the mass of the model would allow it to go high enough for the ejection charge to blow with sufficient altitude. The reality was the five second delay was way too long, and the X-Wing was about 20 - 25 feet above the asphalt surface when the ejection charge finally blew; both of the 18" parachutes (which comes with the model) did eject completely, but there wasn't enough time for them to fully deploy and the model smacked on the asphalt surface pretty hard, shattering the "wings" into both large and small pieces. One positive aspect of "landing" on the asphalt was I could gather about 98% of the balsa pieces, since they were readily visible. Later, when I got home, I was able to "put the pieces" back together again (they fitted nicely like a puzzle) and the X-Wing looks like new again. I do hope to fly it again, but will use the D12-3 with the A10-PT's. I'm pretty sure the results will be more positive from the first flight.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:37 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
What do your builds weigh, without motor? A D12-3 on mine sims to about 100', with 1.7s burnout to apogee, yikes! If I add 4xA10, I get 200', 2.4s burnout. Better speed off the rod, but still scary deployment, given the low altitude.

Ok, I finally pulled the X-Wing down from the top of the display case where it had been stored (untouched, I might add, until tonight) since late 2005. It was very dusty and most of the decals are coming loose (no problem, I can use red cellophane tape to fix it). I weighed it without the parachutes and engines and the empty weight is exactly 14.75 ounces. A few pics of that model and the weight scale below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SAM_9770.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  502.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SAM_9771.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  565.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SAM_9772.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  547.1 KB  
Old 11-25-2016, 08:45 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

After watching "Star Wars, The Force Awakens", has anyone painted their X Wing a different color?

The black looks pretty cool.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 11-25-2016, 01:36 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
After watching "Star Wars, The Force Awakens", has anyone painted their X Wing a different color?

The black looks pretty cool.

This was mine before it was restored into kit form:

I used Rustoleum's Metallic Black paint which is really cool looking on a rocket.

I still have the parts and think I can rebuild it. Also, I have another Maxi X-Wing, an NCR X-Wing, and a smaller X-Wing kit in my build pile. I like X-Wings. :-)

-- Roger
Old 11-27-2016, 08:37 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Ok, I finally pulled the X-Wing down from the top of the display case where it had been stored (untouched, I might add, until tonight) since late 2005. It was very dusty and most of the decals are coming loose (no problem, I can use red cellophane tape to fix it). I weighed it without the parachutes and engines and the empty weight is exactly 14.75 ounces. A few pics of that model and the weight scale below:
Thanks!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 11-27-2016, 10:05 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

At a dry (no engine) weight of almost 15 ounces, that is WAYYYYYYYYY too heavy for any sort of even reasonable flight on a D12-3 and borderline for a SU Aerotech E15/E18. Maybe a E28/E30 would work, but I'd use no less than a F24-4, and possibly a F39-6. The F39-6 actually has a NAR-certified 3-second delay, NOT 6 seconds. An Estes "E"-length Aerotech SU 24mm F32 should work really well if you keep the CG correct. I wouldn't bother trying an Estes E12 or one of their 29mm F's....the extra motor weight plus the extra nose weight would probably result in a cruise-missile at best.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !