Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Craftsman

[QUOTE=ghrocketman]Betcha you can guess how I feel about all 'drunk driving' laws too./QUOTE]

I'm confused. Are you proposing that we, as a civilized society, should eliminate the current prohibitions on drunken driving?
Old 10-08-2016, 06:15 PM
BAR 13790

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I will NEVER support ANYTHING that reduces my personal individual FREEDOM no matter the stated goal including some goal of UTOPIAN ultra-safety.

I value individual freedom to choose FAR higher than collective societal safety ALL THE TIME, EVERYTIME !
I also believe the credo of "NO HARM=NO FOUL" no matter the action, and believe THAT should be the over-riding LAW OF THE LAND.

I'm on the phone at least 50% of the time I'm in the car and to those that don't like it I have a one word response- TOUGH !

I used to have a co-worker that had similar opinions as gh.

His belief was that in his "right" for "pursuit of happiness", he should be allowed to do what ever he desired. There should be no rules that would prevent him from driving down a residential street at 80mph, drunk, and shooting a gun out the window - so long as he didn't hurt someone. No harm = no foul.
He did agree that if he accidentally hit someone in their house with a bullet flying through their wall, or broadside a minivan full of nuns and orphans, that he should be prosecuted for causing the harm. But until he actually hurt someone there should be no restrictions on his actions.

When asked about the safety of others, he felt it was their responsibility to decide if they want to drive or make their house bullet proof if they are concerned.

Personally, this is too radical for me.
But I do agree in many ways they are trying to make a "nanny-state" and too many laws have been implemented "for our own good".
The issue is where I believe the line should be drawn will be different for each person.
What I believe is absurd others will say we need. Whereas areas I feel need some "oversight" others will feel is going too far or unnecessary.
And gh and my co-worker will believe almost any rule is going too far......
Old 10-08-2016, 07:06 PM
BAR 13790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
But I do agree in many ways they are trying to make a "nanny-state" and too many laws have been implemented "for our own good".
The issue is where I believe the line should be drawn will be different for each person.
What I believe is absurd others will say we need. Whereas areas I feel need some "oversight" others will feel is going too far or unnecessary.

And just a quick example that should be near and dear to many of us here....

How many people have bemoaned the loss of using a school yard or park as a flying field because the "powers that be" have deemed it too hazardous and banned the flying of rockets, despite the very high safety record we have.
More kids are injured playing soccer, football, and even baseball on the fields than by rockets, but the sports are allowed and rockets are banned -
Old 10-09-2016, 02:48 AM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
Be wary of undercover cops posing in many areas of the country as 'streetcorner homeless panhandlers' that are actually radioing ahead to bust those 'texting while driving'.
This is NOTHING MORE than a stupid-a$$ed waste of police resources that could be fighting criminals in the name of more mamby-pamby safety.
Some communities are even using large telephoto-lens cameras to spot them as well as using high-sitting semi-tractors that can LEER down at cars to do this as well.
The LAST thing we need is further reduction in PERSONAL INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM.
Life and driving is dangerous....SUCK IT UP AND DEAL WITH IT !
To those that don't like texting while driving, don't do it.
It's another CRAPOLA tack-on money-grab charge. If you are driving distracted and weaving all-over the road being a menace and causing a hazard, there are RECKLESS/CARELESS driving charges that are PLENTY.
Betcha you can guess how I feel about all 'drunk driving' laws too.
Otherwise GITTTTTT OVERRRRR ITTTTTTTTT !

About time they did something useful. Have had to many texters try to kill me on my bike. Talk about criminals, inattentive drivers affect us all!

Thank you for letting me know my tax dollars are finally working!

Mike
Old 10-09-2016, 02:54 AM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
You are officially a moron. I have cut more dead people out of cars due to texting drivers in the last 5 years than I have drunk drivers in the last 10. When it happens to someone you love, you will finally understand. Texting capability should be disabled by GPS when in a moving vehicle, period.

Yes, 100% agree with the GPS, even more, the phone company should cut all texting and cell phones off once in a moving vehicle. Period! Technology is there to do this. Phone companies should be liable for any damages.

When you are driving, you need to pay attention to your surroundings.

Mike
Old 10-09-2016, 02:59 AM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
I will NEVER support ANYTHING that reduces my personal individual FREEDOM no matter the stated goal including some goal of UTOPIAN ultra-safety.

I value individual freedom to choose FAR higher than collective societal safety ALL THE TIME, EVERYTIME !
I also believe the credo of "NO HARM=NO FOUL" no matter the action, and believe THAT should be the over-riding LAW OF THE LAND.

I'm on the phone at least 50% of the time I'm in the car and to those that don't like it I have a one word response- TOUGH !

How many posts have I read about your choice in politicans, that for sure don't promote individual freedom?

How messed up are you?

Mike
Old 10-09-2016, 06:37 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

My political postings are toward restrictions on CORPORATIONS and BUSINESSES and the abuse of the 99% by the 1%.

I don't buy that "Driving is a privledge and not a right" CRAP. I WOULD like to see driving as a DEFINED RIGHT that is unrevokable, no joke.

Drunk Driving fatalities have steadily reduced per driven-mile steadily since they peaked in 1986.
We do NOT need more and more ever-restrictive BAC laws BLACK-MAIL imposed on states by the feds, no matter what the RABID members of nanny-state groups like MADD try to convince everyone. If you cause NO HARM, there should be no charge available for the traffic cops, EVER.

Yes, I do subscribe to NO HARM=NO FOUL and especially on one's own property.
You should be able to do whatever you want unless it causes a DIRECT, MEASURABLE, IRREVERSIBLE, DEFINABLE, PHYSICAL harm to another NOT involved in said activity.

Generally in my personal life I'm a quiet, unimposing neighbor to all those around me, and that is not a joke. Pi$$ me off, and that all changes very quickly.

I would even go so far to say that YES, you do have the RIGHT to do anything not specifically BANNED by the U.S. Constitution and would like to see THAT placed into the "Bill of Rights".

I would MUCH rather see the courts rule in favor of a "YEE-HAWW ! Free-For-All" than all the Nanny-State forced-safety crap we have now.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
Yes, 100% agree with the GPS, even more, the phone company should cut all texting and cell phones off once in a moving vehicle. Period! Technology is there to do this. Phone companies should be liable for any damages.

When you are driving, you need to pay attention to your surroundings.

Mike

I meant that GPS allows the phone to know it's in a moving vehicle and should turn off texting. Disabled 'by' GPS.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I would even go so far to say that YES, you do have the RIGHT to do anything not specifically BANNED by the U.S. Constitution and would like to see THAT placed into the "Bill of Rights".

I would MUCH rather see the courts rule in favor of a "YEE-HAWW ! Free-For-All" than all the Nanny-State forced-safety crap we have now.

The obvious exception to GH's statements is that you can't earn a boatload of money without being taxed to death. So what is the threshold of a "boatload of money"? Why anything more than GH's current income, because he doesn't earn a lot. Now that thar is fun-nee!

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:12 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

What's next ?
Disabling you from changing the radio station while driving ?
No more talking to your passengers ?
No eating in the car ?
No consumption of coffee or other soft drinks ?

Up until only a few years ago one of the ONLY decent things about Texas was their LACK of laws against "open intoxicants" in a motor vehicle. The DRIVER could actually be drinking out of an open LIQUOR bottle as much as he/she wanted provided they were not legally drunk. I have ZERO problem with that AT ALL as long as one is not being a menace mowing down people or property. They got BLACKMAILED by the feds into getting rid of that FREEDOM.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !