Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2020, 01:28 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

If I recall correctly "Sledge Hammer" was loaded with unjustified force; in other words, plenty of action.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-19-2020, 01:57 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
If I recall correctly "Sledge Hammer" was loaded with unjustified force; in other words, plenty of action.

Oh yes. Episode One opens with him blowing up a building to neutralize a sniper.

You can tell it's going to be a great show when the whole opening credits revolve
around closeups of his pistol :-)
NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old 07-20-2020, 08:10 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
If y'all want a fun/crappy police comedy/drama/satire from that era,
check out Sledge Hammer on YouTube. That was a fun show to
watch back in the day.

I wouldn't call it the same era. It began in 86, in the middle of valley girls, shopping malls, mullets, $hi+ bands like Flock of Seagulls, and hair bands. Emergency! ran from 72 to 77 when men were men, women were women, and Led Zeppelin reigned supreme!

You will see places like IMDB state the series ran to 79, but the last couple years were just a handful of tv movie specials. They didn't include anyone from the original cast except Roy and Johnny, and in some, they were barely in the shows themselves.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:26 AM

Heyyyyy nowww !

I like "Hair Bands" like Scorpions, Mötley Crüe, Def Leppard, Van Halen (not Van HAGAR), Dokken, and their ilk.
I like SOME 80's Pop too from about '80 to '86. Late 80's pop such as Edie Brickell, Paula Abdul, etc. got really lousy.
One genre that is REAL CRAP is "Seattle Grunge" from Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, and TOE (pearl) Jam. That whiney garbage makes me want to RETCH.

That said, Emergency and Sledge Hammer are definitely different eras.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:39 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I wouldn't call it the same era. It began in 86, in the middle of valley girls, shopping malls, mullets, $hi+ bands like Flock of Seagulls, and hair bands. Emergency! ran from 72 to 77 when men were men, women were women, and Led Zeppelin reigned supreme!

I didn't realize if was a mid-80s show. Wow. That would have been right after college for me.
I grew up on the 60s/70s shows like MASH, A Team, Airwolf, Knight Rider, Emergency, CHIPS, etc.

As for the music, my brothers were into the heavy metal so I got to hear a lot of that growing up.
Never really got into it, though. I liked Rush, Styx, and Boston, and when New Wave hit, with
bands like The Cars, Thompson Twins, XTC, Police, etc. I started to really get into music more.
Of course, I always love good Big Band Jazz and Classical. I have a much better appreciation of
bands like Led Zeppelin now, when I can actually listen to the music itself and enjoy the artistry.

As for now, I don't watch much TV at all other than movies and I really enjoy the new Epic Music
like Two Steps From Hell and Audiomachine.
NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old 07-20-2020, 09:46 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Heyyyyy nowww !

I like "Hair Bands" like Scorpions, Mötley Crüe, Def Leppard, Van Halen (not Van HAGAR), Dokken, and their ilk.

Scorpions, Def Leppard, Dokken, and Van Halen were all formed in the 70's and Crue barely into the 80's. In fact, most of the true good rock bands in the 80's had roots from the 70's. Dokken is really the only true hair band of those listed, even though the others went through that phase for a few, thankfully short years. Heck, the Scorpions members barely even had hair when they were young!

Quote:
I like SOME 80's Pop too from about '80 to '86. Late 80's pop such as Edie Brickell, Paula Abdul, etc. got really lousy.
One genre that is REAL CRAP is "Seattle Grunge" from Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, and TOE (pearl) Jam. That whiney garbage makes me want to RETCH.

Alice in Chains had some good heavy rock with plenty of guitar solos. Not fond of 80's pop. I got so sick of hearing "Let's Dance" and "The Safety Dance" that I was about ready to blow some crap up. Synth pop sucks. Hair bands thankfully killed it off, but most of their songs followed such a strict formula that only a few of those hair band songs hold up well today.

Quote:
That said, Emergency and Sledge Hammer are definitely different eras.

About as different as 60's-70's Estes and Tunick Estes.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:52 PM

A-Team, Knight Rider, and Airwolf are all 80's shows. None of those existed in the 70's

I like "new wave" music from the 80's such as Duran Duran, The Police, Depeche Mode, The Cars, The Cult, and Smiths.

GRUNGE sucks.

I like Judas Priest, Ozzy/Black Sabbath, and Dio as well.
I guess I group "Heavy Metal" into the same genre as "Hair Bands".

Old 07-20-2020, 04:01 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
A-Team, Knight Rider, and Airwolf are all 80's shows. None of those existed in the 70's

And the A-Team is the only good show of those three. The other two, while decent during their run, tried to be serious action dramas and are hokey as hades today. The A-Team was slapstick comedy wrapped in an action blanket and still comes across as entertaining today. "Hang on everybody! I want to try something I saw in a cartoon once!"

Quote:
I like "new wave" music from the 80's such as Duran Duran, The Police, Depeche Mode, The Cars, The Cult, and Smiths.

Gag me with an 80's spoon on DD and Duche Mode.

The Cars were cool. They were a guitar band that added some synth. Elliot Easton had an unmistakable playing style. They are lumped in with new wave because of the time they were big. They actually formed in the mid 70's and had some pretty good hits before the 80's, which goes right along with most of the best 80's bands having 70's roots.

The Cult had their moments. They weren't "new wave", at least not Fire Woman, Love Removal Machine, Sweet Soul Sister, etc. that I'm familiar with. They were a guitar band.

I liked a couple Police songs, but Sting is akin to Geddy Lee. His voice is one that is loved or hated with not much in between.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:36 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
<snip>72 to 77 when men were men, women were women, and Led Zeppelin reigned supreme!<snip>
Biggest missed concert opportunity of my lifetime ... 1977. My cousin had four tickets for Led Zeppelin here in New Orleans at the Louisiana Superdome for July 30, 1977. I think they had just landed here and checked into the hotel when Plant found out his five-year-old son Karac had died. Would have been a great show ...

If I could have just one of my many music DVD's it would be the two disc Led Zeppelin set that has Live at the Royal Albert Hall 1970, Madison Square Garden 1973, Earls Court 1975 and Knebworth 1979. 5 hours and 20 minutes of film of some of the greatest rock and roll that ever was.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 07-20-2020, 04:42 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
I like Judas Priest, Ozzy/Black Sabbath, and Dio as well.
You would like my CD & DVD collection GH. When I went to England I bought all eight of the UK versions of Sabbath reissues in 2010. Each one is like a mini album with Vertigo stamped on the CD's with all the original album artwork in a booklet. England has the best record stores I've ever seen.

I saw Ozzy in 1992 on the No More Tears tour and Alice and Chains opened up for them. I saw Sabbath at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 2013 on the 13 tour. Both were great concerts. I never saw Judas Priest or Dio live.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates