Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The way this kit suggests is somewhere between goofy and insane.

But you also say, "Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL, if you have to ask, you probably aren't !
If it's FAST, LOUD, DANGEROUS, or borderline UNSAFE, COUNT ME IN !"
The advantages to "Integrated Tube-tm" method is that because of the longer joint section, it is stiffer than either balsa or plastic since they tend to have short joint sections to save costs. Also plastic parts typically are made as generic as possible so a high tooling cost can be utilized across several kits. Check recent Estes fin molds as an extreme example.

The biggest differentiator is that any arbitrary shape can be used. Any length, any panel count to make it a bit rounder, even curved concave or convex, or multi-angle shapes are practical with careful design. The kits that use "Integrated Tube-tm" come with a shroud pattern, but also come with a report on how to customize it. Bypassing it with a balsa, plastic or paper reducer eliminates this significant feature and I would cheerfully replace any tube you practice on badly. I am curious how odd you guys with real skills can get!

Best of all it is lightweight and strong. Max out the power!

LSS Berlinetta

6IN Ogee Quad SRB

Tech Jerry
Old 02-03-2015, 04:51 PM
BP Mafia

I can see how it would work, and the advantages of doing it this way, but I have zero confidence in my ability to produce a decent looking rocket based on my skill set.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 02-03-2015, 08:23 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Or G.B. for glue boogers. Nope, the only place I've run into that is Carl's VF-261 kit. I was at NSL, building Friday night in my ghetto hotel room. I planned to be the first one to fly one of the kits. I wish I'd have taken a picture of the result. It really did look like something you'd see on the underside of a school desk.

Yeah, I never had much luck with the Zooch "funky glue putty" either, despite multiple attempts... I've seen what his instructions talk about-- partially dried glue rubbed off the skin that forms a gooey paste, that can then be shaped into whatever part is needed (usually a small one). Despite making the stuff "inadvertantly" in cleaning partially dried glue off my fingers or hands during a build, my intentional efforts to make the stuff were totally ineffective.

I finally just got some "mash to mix" epoxy clay type material from the plumbing section of Walmart and used it to make the parts required.

Later! OL JR
Old 02-03-2015, 10:13 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

While this design of a transition is unique, I have ZERO patience for doing things in a manner more difficult than required. It may be cheaper to manufacture, but the 'pain in the A$$' factor is about 10 magnitudes higher than using a simple plastic or balsa reducer.
If there was a REAL reason for a unique transition for an asymmetrical offset, I can see using this method. Otherwise, it just takes too much time.

I like to operate under the KISS (keep it simple stupid) Principle.

I will say it is a very innovative method if one has the patience to use it.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 02-04-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:08 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yeah, I never had much luck with the Zooch "funky glue putty" either, despite multiple attempts... I've seen what his instructions talk about-- partially dried glue rubbed off the skin that forms a gooey paste, that can then be shaped into whatever part is needed (usually a small one). Despite making the stuff "inadvertantly" in cleaning partially dried glue off my fingers or hands during a build, my intentional efforts to make the stuff were totally ineffective.
I finally just got some "mash to mix" epoxy clay type material from the plumbing section of Walmart and used it to make the parts required.
Later! OL JR

The first time I tried the Zooch F.G.P. I thought: "You've got to be kidding!"
First tries weren't good. Third try was better.
I did a few blog posts on it:
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...fgp-part-1.html
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...tty-part-2.html

It also depends on what type of glue you use. I had better luck with Elmer's white.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 02-04-2015, 04:34 PM

If you upload your payload bay file or parameters, I will cheerfully put it on the Sniper web page.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:23 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
The finished build, ready for the paint booth. We went shopping last night after dinner and I wound up with metallic orange and black paints. Thinking orange on the lower body tube and black for the upper tube, transition and fins. No decals, but I may go with something simple. I'll see when the paint is finished.

I didn't have a piece of Kevlar stout enough to do the recovery system the way I normally do it, so I went with the tried and true folded paper mount, which was included with the kit. The included elastic shock cord was plenty stout and plenty long. Flight results to come, as are finished paint pics, but to this point I'm very impressed with the finished product. Good value, speedy delivery, and a great design.

Very cool looking rocket Bill. I like the orange and black scheme you suggested and finished my USR Sonic Series rockets all in orange and black. I may have a couple of USR name decals and flags left over from one my builds. If you are interested let me know and I'll mail those to you or I can send you a scan if you want to print those yourself.

I used the folded paper mounts in mine and haven't had any issues and found the shock cords to be a generous length.

Looking forward to the finished pics.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 02-10-2015, 04:38 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Very cool looking rocket Bill. I like the orange and black scheme you suggested and finished my USR Sonic Series rockets all in orange and black. I may have a couple of USR name decals and flags left over from one my builds. If you are interested let me know and I'll mail those to you or I can send you a scan if you want to print those yourself.

I used the folded paper mounts in mine and haven't had any issues and found the shock cords to be a generous length.

Looking forward to the finished pics.

Steve, if you could send me the scan, that was be great. Mine came with a set of stickers, but they're pretty minimal. Might be the same thing you have, but it can't hurt to look.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 02-10-2015, 05:21 PM

Free stickers.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:06 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Steve, if you could send me the scan, that was be great. Mine came with a set of stickers, but they're pretty minimal. Might be the same thing you have, but it can't hurt to look.

These are left over from a USR Sonic series kit, probably the same as what you have.

The orange with black trim "Microc Finished" picture is mine.

http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/microc.htm

I like to use the USR logo flags on the fins but only used the name decals on one of my other builds so you are welcome to these if you need them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  90.3 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates