Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Dazed and Confused

SSP....is that where you pull a T-handle to spin up a central drive wheel? I had a red rail dragster like that.

I also had the Evel Kinevel stunt cycle that used hand crank to spin up the drive wheel.

I also had the old Sizzlers slotless track cars...pretty cool until the little batteries wouldn't hold a charge anymore.

Throw in a few Hot Wheels, the full size GI Goe, a Mat Masterson, and a little imagination and I had a pretty good life as a kid.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
SSP....is that where you pull a T-handle to spin up a central drive wheel? I had a red rail dragster like that. I also had the Evel Kinevel stunt cycle that used hand crank to spin up the drive wheel.

Yup, that's the one.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-29-2007, 06:54 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
SSP's! Yes, I had one of those. I used to like running it in our gym at school during recess. Was the Laker Special the orange one that looked like something you'd see on the Bonneville Salt Flats? If so, that's what I had.

The gyro effect from that heavy wheel spinning was neat too.

I always thought it looked like a submarine and it was the one you wanted if you were racing someone else. The only one I ever had was purple, but the others always came in different colors, so I'm sure there was an orange one. Remember the Smash-Up Derby set? The doors, tires and bumpers fell off when they hit each other.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox
Default Maybe it was a Remco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
One toy I had contained a folded paper sheet with outlines for roads and locations for a spring-loaded launch pad, and a command center. The command center had a small phonograph with 3" records that played a sequence of "countdowns" -- one with a successful launch of the rocket, one with an abort. The rocket was an Atlas, and I remember it always hit the ceiling and left a mark. The command center had a set of "headphones" with a rubber tube connecting them; this is how you heard the phonograph. To change the program, you simply lifted the top of the center and lowered it again. The programs were on separate tracks; the needle would set itself on the tracks at random, so you never knew which one would come up.
Craig, that sounds like my "Voice Controlled Kennedy Airport" by Remco. It had a record player inside the control tower that played ATC chatter into a headset via a flexible rubber tube. It had a playmat with runways on it and came with some plastic airliners you could push around based on the commands from the tower. I know Remco also made an astronaut Kennedy-space-center-styled base with similar characteristics. Perhaps that's the toy you recall?
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 01-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Yup, that's the one.

Cool....I just edited the post you quoted with a few other things I had. I was too slow to get it out before you replied.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Remember the Smash-Up Derby set? The doors, tires and bumpers fell off when they hit each other.

Sure do. My friend had one that we'd play with in the gym.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-29-2007, 06:56 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
SSP....is that where you pull a T-handle to spin up a central drive wheel? I had a red rail dragster like that. I also had the Evel Kinevel stunt cycle that used hand crank to spin up the drive wheel.

I also had the Canyon Sky Cycle and my brother had the funny car that exploded. I'm surprised that they never reissued the cycle set.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 01-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
I also had the Evel Kinevel stunt cycle that used hand crank to spin up the drive wheel.

I also had the old Sizzlers slotless track cars...pretty cool until the little batteries wouldn't hold a charge anymore.

A friend had these two. Ya, the Sizzlers used a pack of D batteries to charge the cars, right?

Quote:
Throw in a few Hot Wheels, the full size GI Goe, a Mat Masterson, and a little imagination and I had a pretty good life as a kid.

I had a ton of Hot Wheels and Johnny Lightning cars. I remember selling the big case of cars and all my track in a rummage sale at my parents house around '80 or so. It was just after high school. I know it all went for a song. Of course I kick myself seeing what the stuff fetches on eBay.

I never got into the guy dolls myself.

I did put Estes/Centuri rocket motors on lots of non-rocket items and "launched" them though!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-29-2007, 07:02 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
SSP....is that where you pull a T-handle to spin up a central drive wheel? I had a red rail dragster like that.

Sizzlers are back. I was looking at them before Christmas.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
A friend had these two. Ya, the Sizzlers used a pack of D batteries to charge the cars, right?

Yep. They were in a charger made to look like a gas pump.

Quote:
I never got into the guy dolls myself.

I had a GI Joe with a parachute and one of the training towers. I outgrew them well before getting into rocketry in the mid 70's.