Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Firing up the Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
You'll get there, Jay. [SNIP]
Try working the sequence backwards, from the last page forward.
*Ah.* _The Completion Backward Principle._ "--She's a one in a million girl..."

Quote:
Carl uses MS Publisher for creating the SEMROC instruction booklets. We're trying to match our output to what he needs to work with.
And it *doesn't* help that I think things need to look "just right."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Don't get bogged down in the MSPublisher mechanics. Once I have a 3D model entered, I can generate all the illustrations in about 10-15 minutes each.
Carl,

I'm just going to plunge ahead with my primitive method, and let you worry about fitting everything onto the pages. Once you get done with the initial layout, you can alert me to any looming problems.

Quote:
The toughest, most consuming part of kit instructions is page 2 and page 3, the history and background info. Craig did a good job on that; much better than I would have done. The other part we really need work on is the last pages about prepping and flying.
Hmm. I didn't do much that was different on the first few pages, aside from the "About the Tau Zero TM."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I have found the creation of a kit's instructions to be the most demanding and time consuming part of any model's development.
Bob, I feel your pain, and I fully agree.

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 01-02-2007, 10:33 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
*Ah.* _The Completion Backward Principle._
"She's a one in a million girl..." Cheers,

The Tubes?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-02-2007, 11:17 PM
7/21/61

Jay,

Having watched Sandman create any number of kits now I can tell you you're in good company. The instructions generally take him as long to create as the kits themselves, sometimes longer.

If you promise not to tell anyone (because it is a complete and total secret), for a recently un-named holiday I received a kit which doesn't yet exist from an un-named manufacturer. The kit was marked "prototype" because it contained all of the pieces, but no directions.

If you and Carl want to send me a directionless Tau Zero prototype to build I'd be happy to keep that a secret too!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:20 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
... a directionless Tau Zero prototype...

Gus, that was one of the issues we've tried to resolve. Jay ran into that problem early on using a "C" motor...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Wink Jay kids around with "Gus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Having watched Sandman create any number of kits now I can tell you you're in good company. The instructions generally take him as long to create as the kits themselves, sometimes longer.
Thanks for the reassuring words!!

Quote:
If you and Carl want to send me a directionless Tau Zero prototype to build I'd be happy to keep that a secret too!
(Jay's unable to pass up a *horrible* pun.) --But Steve... if the package containing the Tau Zero is *directionless,* how on earth will it make it from either North Carolina or Idaho to Michigan?

I'll have to get back to you on that...
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

03 Sept 2014
Old 01-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Wink Directions, schmirections...

Quote:
Gus, that was one of the issues we've tried to resolve. Jay ran into that problem early on using a "C" motor...
Actually, it wasn't directionless. --If you can call "pinwheeling" a direction.

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

03 Sept 2014
Old 01-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Ye Olde Rocketeer

I have MS Publisher, if that is helpful. I produce our club newsletter using that. I haven't done a lot of exotic stuff with it, though. I'm OK writing instructions, but much better at improving on them. It's hard to do without building the model, though, and does get boring at times.
James
Old 01-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Second Wind... Again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
I got all excited about writing and laying out the instruction booklet for my Tau Zero, but then I lost steam. I've been trying to get myself "undistracted" for the last month and get re-focused on the project.
Some guy over on the "Jay's Tau Zero" thread is babbling on about something or other :

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...8&postcount=200

--Just in case you wanted to know.

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

03 Sept 2014
Old 01-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Jay and Craig,

Sheryl is already getting requests for reserves of these kits. ARGH! We do not have a clean method of reserving kits (and getting rid of them later.)

We need to work out some details offline.

But... does any one have better ideas of reserving kits in general?
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Jay and Craig,

Sheryl is already getting requests for reserves of these kits. ARGH! We do not have a clean method of reserving kits (and getting rid of them later.)

We need to work out some details offline.

But... does any one have better ideas of reserving kits in general?

One possible method: DON'T...

Another possible method: A web page with a simple data entry screen listing only those kits you intend to take reserve orders for. Use a drop-down list, and add kits to that list only when you're good-n-ready to; eliminate from that list those kits which are already shipping. If it isn't on the list, the computer cannot take reserve orders for it; tell everyone who lands on that page "If you don't see it listed yet, don't ask about it yet!" Save the captured data in a MySQL (or SQL) database and don't worry about it until you're ready to ship. You're already taking "votes" for other kits folks want to see; perhaps expand that one to accept requests for kits not yet on that master list. Purge the reserve lists once the kit has shipped; only accept one kit per request, and use that as the "key" for purging later.

I can't think of another way of reducing the hands-on labor besides letting the computer do the hard work. Doing this means you only update the drop-down list whenever you ship or add a kit, and you let the computer add names to the database until you're ready to ship. The computer will automatically stop taking orders for a specific kit once the kit name has been removed from the drop-down box. Sort the list using the kit name "key", and print only that portion of the database to get the reservers' names, then purge just those entries.

The fact that you're getting reserve orders for these kits means our designs are striking a chord with folks. It's probably some from this forum who have already seen the designs and know we've been discussing them together. Jay's TZ has been built by at least five people on the forum, one in Australia. It's a good design, it builds well (those alignment guides are a must!), and it flies nice when the balance is right. That's what we all want!

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635