Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2013, 07:19 PM
BP Mafia

Last two. Flight #10 was the Estes Monarch from the sale box. A nice bird for this field, and I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Next time I'll fly it on a B6-4. The A8-3 takes it about as high as I can throw it.

Hey, straight up, straight down! Where's that been all day? This whole flight could have been done in a grain elevator.

And the award for closest to the pad.......

Last flight on the day, and only because it was there and 160 sounds better than 159, was the Semroc Rawhide on an A8-3.

Another streamer bird that didn't stream. Came in hot and landed body tube first on the infield. Core sampled, but a quick shake cleared the tube. Now to paint the nose cone and print off a decal.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Dazed and Confused

We need to figure out why your streamers aren't streaming.

What kind of material are the streamers? (I guess I'm old school, but I like the old crepe paper stuff better than modern plastic material.)

How are you folding/rolling them? (I fold back and forth so that they have no option but to open up)

Are they getting melted? (Crepe will come more near deploying after getting singed)

Overstuffing the BT? (time to switch to recently released Estes 6" chute)
Old 12-28-2013, 08:50 PM
BP Mafia

All of them have been either the stock ones that come with the kits, or one made of caution tape. I just roll them up and they never get stuffed too tightly. I use them more for tracking than to slow the rocket.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 12-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
All of them have been either the stock ones that come with the kits, or one made of caution tape. I just roll them up and they never get stuffed too tightly. I use them more for tracking than to slow the rocket.

Try folding in half, then folding in half the opposite direction, until you get a small enough wad to insert. When they come out, they jump open like a spring. It might even help slow the nose cone to minimize an "Estes dent" because it has already started catching some air compared to one that is rolled up.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like using crepe paper because it doesn't stick to itself or get really stiff in the cold like plastic material does. It's so cheap, you can stick a new piece on every flight if you want, but I've found that if it doesn't get wet it will last a long time. It's also easy to experiment with the most visible colors based on the conditions and can be found almost anywhere.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Try folding in half, then folding in half the opposite direction, until you get a small enough wad to insert. When they come out, they jump open like a spring. It might even help slow the nose cone to minimize an "Estes dent" because it has already started catching some air compared to one that is rolled up.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like using crepe paper because it doesn't stick to itself or get really stiff in the cold like plastic material does. It's so cheap, you can stick a new piece on every flight if you want, but I've found that if it doesn't get wet it will last a long time. It's also easy to experiment with the most visible colors based on the conditions and can be found almost anywhere.

Gosh, I didn't realize that crepe was ... old school.... Well, count me as an old geezer then 'cause that is all I use. I guess one has a tendency to stick with what one starts with and for me that was crepe streamers (as well as wadding... started with crepe wadding and have been 'cutting my own' out of sheets of party crepe paper ever since.... dirty cheap when you cut your own wadding).

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-28-2013, 10:46 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
How am I holding the launcher these days, you ask?

Works pretty well, but I still miss the occasional launch shot when I forget to start the camera first.

That's the same thing I do, left hand with the controller, right hand on the camera.
Are you shooting in a burst mode? I haven't had much luck with that.

I check to be sure the camera is focused on the rocket, then press and hold the launch button.
I snap a single picture when I first hear the engine thrust starting up.

It's a little like driving a clutch car the first time, you've got to plan your moves before you press the launch button.

Thanks for taking the time to post all the launch pictures.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:25 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
That's the same thing I do, left hand with the controller, right hand on the camera.
Are you shooting in a burst mode? I haven't had much luck with that.

I check to be sure the camera is focused on the rocket, then press and hold the launch button.
I snap a single picture when I first hear the engine thrust starting up.

It's a little like driving a clutch car the first time, you've got to plan your moves before you press the launch button.

Thanks for taking the time to post all the launch pictures.

Yes, I use burst mode. Hardest part for me is keeping the camera straight. I've been using the smaller camera which has a faster burst, but it only gets ten shots before it starts recording, and that's a slow process. The big Olympus doesn't burst quite as fast, but it captures quickly and that allows me to get shots like that barely overhead shot of the Monarch. This was the next photo in that sequence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Monarch recovery.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  276.3 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 12-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Gosh, I didn't realize that crepe was ... old school.... Well, count me as an old geezer then 'cause that is all I use. I guess one has a tendency to stick with what one starts with and for me that was crepe streamers (as well as wadding... started with crepe wadding and have been 'cutting my own' out of sheets of party crepe paper ever since.... dirty cheap when you cut your own wadding).

Earl

All I know is that when I've mentioned using it to others, they look at me like I'm from the stone age and tell me how much better that crappy thick plastic stuff is. (Not counting the mylar contest stuff that they iron pleats into.)

Oh, and be careful talking about crepe paper wadding or Shredvector will show up and belittle you for your lack of knowledge about paper, even though most normal people call the squares "crepe" instead of "tissue".

Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
All I know is that when I've mentioned using it to others, they look at me like I'm from the stone age and tell me how much better that crappy thick plastic stuff is. (Not counting the mylar contest stuff that they iron pleats into.)

Oh, and be careful talking about crepe paper wadding or Shredvector will show up and belittle you for your lack of knowledge about paper, even though most normal people call the squares "crepe" instead of "tissue".

Ok, well I'll be happy to be a fellow stone age practitioner of crepe 'technology' then I guess. Been on that path my entire rocketry career and it's served me well this long.

I'll be prepared for the belittling, too.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-29-2013, 12:27 AM
BP Mafia

If I had some crepe, I'd use it, but I bought a huge roll of the caution tape back in 2001 and haven't come close to the end yet. I think I'll pick up a pack of crepe paper when I'm out this week, just to start 2014 off with something different.

I miss being SAM 0058